N54 - Tuning Resources - .BIN Files, XDF Files, Firmware, Updates

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
Hello Spoolers,

I figured I would compile a list of useful tools/files/resources for tuning the N54

Please Note!
All resources found here do not belong to SpoolStreet or myself. These files are here for informative purposes and using anything found here is meant to be used at your own risk.

JB4 MHD BEF Maps - 12/13/16

Code:
1) Modified all E85 maps for 40% more cranking fuel during cold starts to reduce E85 hard starting in colder weather.

JB4 Mobile App Firmware - G5_ISO_32_5

Code:
1) Setup JB4 to automatically change itself to map0 if a flashing device is connected to the OBDII port. Upon switching to map0 it will flash the turn signal indicators to alert the user.
2) Added battery reset and register (when installing a new battery) under the menu 1/7 adaption resets.

JB4 Firmware Update
The latest firmware later REQUIRES JB4 INTERFACE DATED 3/1/15 OR NEWER AND SETTING CHANGES. All Duty Bias (formerly CPS) must be set to 0 or 50 to avoid 30FF under boost codes. 3rd gear boost limiting should also be set to 0 to disable. Menu4 in dash should be set to 3 for a factory flashed car or 2 for a back end flashed car. Failure to follow these directions will result in low boost and poor performance.*** Also note the new menu 12 range is 2000rpm to 3000rpm with a default of 2800rpm. Going too low on menu 12 may cause low throttle boost oscillation

MHD v1.50 - 01/04/17 (Mobile App)
Code:
- Added a "generate updated BIN" function in Stock map operations to export the proper and updated OEM map.
- Added 3 adaption resets: Intake Mass Flow, Load Control, Fuel High Pressure System.

JB4 MHD BEF Maps:

Download:
Code:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32095117/SpoolStreet/Tuning%20Resources/JB4%20BEF%2012.13.16/JB4_MHD_121316.zip

JB4 Firmware (Mobile App) - G5_ISO_32_5

Download:
Code:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32095117/SpoolStreet/Tuning%20Resources/JB4%20Software/G5_ISO_32_5.hex

JB4 Interface (PC Application)

Download:
Code:
JB4 Interface:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32095117/SpoolStreet/Tuning%20Resources/JB4%20Software/jb4_interface.zip

N54 XDF Files for TunerPro:

Download:
Code:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32095117/SpoolStreet/Tuning%20Resources/XDF%20Files/BMW-XDFs-master.zip

N54 MHI Turbo Data:

Download:
Code:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32095117/SpoolStreet/Tuning%20Resources/N54%20MHI%20Turbo%20Data.gif

bummerboost BEF Flash:

Download:
Code:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32095117/SpoolStreet/Tuning%20Resources/bummerboost%20BEF/bb_flash.zip

SPX Custom MHD Maps (Requires MHD + M-Boost):

Download:
Code:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32095117/SpoolStreet/Tuning%20Resources/SPX%20Custom%20MHD%20Maps/N54%20Bins%20-%20SPX%20Maps.zip

Reactions: AzNdevil

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
it would be great if someone was to post up a guide for tuning...that would be a big accomplishment for this forum
ive seen it on other platforms like subbies or evos but it seems its non existent for n54/55 for some reason....

info is scattered all over different forums in different threads...
worst part is...it seems like people that has grasped the idea all became "pro tuners"

Last edited:

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I would prefer all XDF downloads come directly from the Github we have created. This ensures everyone will always have the latest fixes and additions. Feel free to link directly to it.

Reactions: Xer0449
Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
it would be great if someone was to post up a guide for tuning...that would be a big accomplishment for this forum
ive seen it on other platforms like subbies or evos but it seems its non existent for n54/55 for some reason....

worst part is...it seems like people that has grasped the idea all became "pro tuners"

Money makes the world go round.. So why would we want to lose money to those that can do the same job? (; I'm also studying in-depth with this. Probably isn't even that difficult but, more or less time consuming and trail and error related.

I would prefer all XDF downloads come directly from the Github we have created. This ensures everyone will always have the latest fixes and additions. Feel free to link directly to it.

Good Point!
Updating the link for it now!

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas

Really man? It's with the XDF's you downloaded. I mean yeah it's outdated and old and intended partially to get jb4 users off the tit, maybe a little off-kilter, but it can't be that bad, can it?

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Money makes the world go round.. So why would we want to lose money to those that can do the same job? (; I'm also studying in-depth with this. Probably isn't even that difficult but, more or less time consuming and trail and error related.
same here... trying to figure out the different wastegate tables and how they work together...

Really man? It's with the XDF's you downloaded. I mean yeah it's outdated and old and intended partially to get jb4 users off the tit, maybe a little off-kilter, but it can't be that bad, can it?

of course i have seen your excel file... i am not saying its bad but if it's more dumbed down it would save a lot of trial and error

as for a guide, i am thinking something like this
https://sites.google.com/site/asubienewbietuningguide/ver-1-0
or
http://www.evoscan.com/ecuflash/Merlins EcuFlash EVO 7-8-9 TUNING GUIDE-V1.7a.pdf

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
I have actually been looking into this as well. I have all the different tables noted from the MHD BEF PUMP and RACE, and PUMP to E85. Going to see if I can piece some info together from that.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
I have actually been looking into this as well. I have all the different tables noted from the MHD BEF PUMP and RACE, and PUMP to E85. Going to see if I can piece some info together from that.
from what i see...higher timing, higher boost and e85 fuel maps are "richer"

i still havent worked out how i can estimate the target boost psi through the wgdc (base) table and how it works with wgdc adder

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
from what i see...higher timing, higher boost and e85 fuel maps are "richer"

i still havent worked out how i can estimate the target boost psi through the wgdc (base) table and how it works with wgdc adder

Oh boy...you don't estimate target boost through wgdc (base). Load target + driver's torque request (pedal %) + complex math = boost target.

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
I thought it was pretty basic for our specific platform if you understand general concepts. If you want something to hit the really basic concepts, there's tons of resources. View: https://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-Turbocharger-Engineering-Performance/dp/0837601606
There's classes and tons of info out there.
Well.. sign me up! I've been wanting to learn about this since I first heard of DME flashing. Gonna start researching like crazy. Maybe we can be the first forum with a actual tuning guide for the platform versus having to dig for info on it.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Well the thing is, before you need platform specific you need basics. Those basics apply to everything. I've tuned carboretors, mechanical fuel injection, obd1 and obd2, DSM's, corvettes, camaros, supras, lumina's, Evos, trucks, stand alones, ECU retrofits on older motors/motors they were never meant for, N54, N55, whatever. Some cars all I was doing was adjusting for a cam or larger tires to fix the speedo. The thing is, the general ideas are all the same. Torque vectoring ECUs are slightly different, but otherwise there's lots of consistency. You need to understand that base first. You don't need a platform specific guide until you have tuning 101 under your belt. Tuning 101 can be learned from books on Amazon for the most part.

The most important platform specific knowledge is knowing/respecting the breaking points, knowing how to avoid them, and not pushing limits just because you can.

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
Well the thing is, before you need platform specific you need basics. Those basics apply to everything. I've tuned carboretors, mechanical fuel injection, obd1 and obd2, DSM's, corvettes, camaros, supras, lumina's, Evos, trucks, stand alones, ECU retrofits on older motors/motors they were never meant for, N54, N55, whatever. Some cars all I was doing was adjusting for a cam or larger tires to fix the speedo. The thing is, the general ideas are all the same. Torque vectoring ECUs are slightly different, but otherwise there's lots of consistency. You need to understand that base first. You don't need a platform specific guide until you have tuning 101 under your belt. Tuning 101 can be learned from books on Amazon for the most part.

The most important platform specific knowledge is knowing/respecting the breaking points, knowing how to avoid them, and not pushing limits just because you can.
I understand that,

I have full plans to understand it all not just a "You need to turn this knob up to go faster" xD

I have been a programmer for over 9 years so, I'm sure the mathematics and formulas wont be too intense to comprehend.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
The issue on this platform i have seen, is everyone feels like they should be given information when that's not really the case. Equally so, most people as stated, don't even know the basics but want guides to everything, That's not way to do things. No one researches, everyone feels they are entitled to information just by being on the forum. These are general statements, not directed at any one person.

I digress, that's not an issue on just this platform. Its becoming and has become that way on many. Infact, this is the first, maybe second (Volkswagen boards have started doing this now as well). Whereas, people are demanded to post logs for anything and everything. This is all new within the last couple years. Prior, logs were shared between the customer and tuner, not the whole world. Now, all of a sudden if you don't post logs, you're apparently hiding something. Let alone the fact that posting logs, makes it very easy for any joe smoe to copy your work.

Anyway, i got a little off track. But me personally, i never mind helping people and etc. As long as you have shown some sort of self research. I'm wholeheartedly against spoon feeding everything to everyone. because of a few reasons. One is, that you arent really learning anything. The Excel file that V8Bait made, he didn't have to do it. But he took time out of his personal life to make that and post it for free for people to use at their own will. But then, after the fact, he is asked to DUMB it down some more so it can be understood easier. How about no, do some research and learn the basics then you could see how dumbed down it already is. Kind of a slap in the face to people like that who choose to do things, and still get criticized for it for silly reasons.

Just my opinions. But i've been around for almost two decades doing this, so ive seen all the changes. so i guess im a little more opinionated on stuff like this.

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
The issue on this platform i have seen, is everyone feels like they should be given information when that's not really the case. Equally so, most people as stated, don't even know the basics but want guides to everything, That's not way to do things. No one researches, everyone feels they are entitled to information just by being on the forum. These are general statements, not directed at any one person.

I digress, that's not an issue on just this platform. Its becoming and has become that way on many. Infact, this is the first, maybe second (Volkswagen boards have started doing this now as well). Whereas, people are demanded to post logs for anything and everything. This is all new within the last couple years. Prior, logs were shared between the customer and tuner, not the whole world. Now, all of a sudden if you don't post logs, you're apparently hiding something. Let alone the fact that posting logs, makes it very easy for any joe smoe to copy your work.

Anyway, i got a little off track. But me personally, i never mind helping people and etc. As long as you have shown some sort of self research. I'm wholeheartedly against spoon feeding everything to everyone. because of a few reasons. One is, that you arent really learning anything. The Excel file that V8Bait made, he didn't have to do it. But he took time out of his personal life to make that and post it for free for people to use at their own will. But then, after the fact, he is asked to DUMB it down some more so it can be understood easier. How about no, do some research and learn the basics then you could see how dumbed down it already is. Kind of a slap in the face to people like that who choose to do things, and still get criticized for it for silly reasons.

Just my opinions. But i've been around for almost two decades doing this, so ive seen all the changes. so i guess im a little more opinionated on stuff like this.

With that being said, if I have any questions on my quest to understand and document research could I reach out to you for further explanations? :D

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
obviously i am missing something from my research then, i still haven't managed to bridge some of the gaps from the theory to how it applies in reality
Let alone the fact that posting logs, makes it very easy for any joe smoe to copy your work.
imo if the person can manage to copy your work from the logs then probably he knows enough to make the map fit for his uses

The Excel file that V8Bait made, he didn't have to do it. But he took time out of his personal life to make that and post it for free for people to use at their own will. But then, after the fact, he is asked to DUMB it down some more so it can be understood easier. How about no, do some research and learn the basics then you could see how dumbed down it already is. Kind of a slap in the face to people like that who choose to do things, and still get criticized for it for silly reasons.
i am not criticizing... from my point of view, its a great thing to have but sure it can be better like anything and everything

to be honest, i just want to see how far i can get by myself and buy a map from someone that tunes for a living and see how big a difference it can make overall

Last edited:

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly

+1000 on this. People take this platform for granted when it comes to tuning since a lot of the more nuanced tuning elements (injector scaling & latency, maf scaling, VE, afr targeting) are basically handled automatically thanks to closed loop fueling and speed density from the factory.

That said, the N54 dme has it's own nuances that only experience and time with the platform will teach you. Those who did spend the time to discover it from scratch or learn it should not be expected to spill it for free to every average joe who wants to tune their own car.