N54: The best Plugs, Injectors and Coils Thread

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
My coils are fine, in fact they are for sale, I just upgraded them. Can come in handy for diagnostics.

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
Same here, didnt have any issues with the Bosch coils but upgraded to BL. Think I got like 10 of them sitting around that I need to sell sometime.

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces

CAA

Private
Sep 13, 2017
Ride
E92 335i ST
From my personal experience, I'm a little dissapointed with BL coils. I have worse ignition timing since I put them from stock coils.
In the next few weeks I will install back my stock coils surely.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
First time I have heard this I personally have great results with bl coils and their custoner service .

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
NGK 97506 plugs on OEM coils- what gap? Installing MMP 1Ks and need to know where to start. Running 97506’s on Ken’s recommendation.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
From my personal experience, I'm a little dissapointed with BL coils. I have worse ignition timing since I put them from stock coils.
In the next few weeks I will install back my stock coils surely.
Quite possibly because spark jumps from boot to top of plug, then it jumps from electrode to ground on plug. I fixed this issue and my timing has vastly improved.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Quite possibly because spark jumps from boot to top of plug, then it jumps from electrode to ground on plug. I fixed this issue and my timing has vastly improved.
I'm not sure I can picture what you're actually saying. What did you do to fix it? That may make it clearer.

I just installed the BL coils. We just broke all the connectors as they are junk, and used electrical tape to secure them for now. We'll be building a whole new harness which uses components that are appropriate quality for an ignition system.

Thanks,

Filippo

Reactions: GhostRiderCanada

STE92

Corporal
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
E92
Had same issues... my timing is all over each cylinder. But I’m also on 91acn but I had no issue with stock Eldor coils at 17psi, now my timing is all over the place. Slowe93 what u fixed???

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
The coils do NOT sit correctly straight out of the box. This is NOT a plug and play kit. I too broke my connectors as they did not fit properly. I have fixed all issues and these coils WORK. However, the kit is way over priced for what I received. Anyways, I did some trimming on the coil sleeve to get proper fitment. However, the harness may not work for you after that. When the coils seat fully on the plug, they will sit at a different angle than the "usual" pics posted and 1/4" or more deeper. This changes things and many things need to be "adjusted". Key thing here is getting the coils to sit farther down and actually engaging the plug, not leave a 1/4" or more gap between them. I feel a partial refund is in order here. Doubtful I will receive one, but I do feel I over paid for all the work I put into this " plug and play kit "

Last edited:

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
I'm not sure I can picture what you're actually saying. What did you do to fix it? That may make it clearer.

I just installed the BL coils. We just broke all the connectors as they are junk, and used electrical tape to secure them for now. We'll be building a whole new harness which uses components that are appropriate quality for an ignition system.

Thanks,

Filippo
The coils do NOT sit correctly straight out of the box. This is NOT a plug and play kit. I too broke my connectors as they did not fit properly. I have fixed all issues and these coils WORK. However, the kit is way over priced for what I received. Anyways, I did some trimming on the coil sleeve to get proper fitment. However, the harness may not work for you after that. When the coils seat fully on the plug, they will sit at a different angle than the "usual" pics posted and 1/4" or more deeper. This changes things and many things need to be "adjusted". Key thing here is getting the coils to sit farther down and actually engaging the plug, not leave a 1/4" or more gap between them. I feel a partial refund is in order here. Doubtful I will receive one, but I do feel I over paid for all the work I put into this " plug and play kit "
How long ago did you guys get your kits? I think I got mine like 4 months ago and there was a shrink wrap on the connectors and didn't have any issues during install. Have had no problems on my end and car definitely runs better.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

Would you mind taking a photo of the modification you made?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Got mine late Fall. I've included a photo of the 3D printed connector. We've since broken all 6, since they crumble so easily, so we could tape them securely. If you gently press on the sides with your thumb and index finger, it will crumble in your hands. We have two cars that have them, both the same results. My car is just going back together now. It's running but has no seat time yet. Hopefully the rest of the setup works, until we make a completely new harness.

Filippo

IMG_5800.jpg

Part of the issue in making the new harness, is dealing with this little IC that's in the connectors. But as soon as I get proper injection molded connectors, we'll figure out how to remake this harness so it can live with the kind of reliability one needs. The IC is inside this connector, with some epoxy, which comes apart with a little heat (most epoxy will release between 150-200 degrees ... another consideration I suspect for these harnesses). Here's a few photos of what's inside.

IMG_20180404_094652.jpg

IMG_20180404_110251.jpg

Filippo

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Thats the same one that would NOT fit on mine and as I tried to shave it down to fit, it crumbled down to nothing. Intentionally broke off the rest to make them fit as well. As I said, at the very least a partial reimbursement is in order here. I will be making my own harness soon to better fit the position of my coils now.

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
Thats the same one that would NOT fit on mine and as I tried to shave it down to fit, it crumbled down to nothing. Intentionally broke off the rest to make them fit as well. As I said, at the very least a partial reimbursement is in order here. I will be making my own harness soon to better fit the position of my coils now.
Did you reach out to @Alex@BimmerLifeTuning about this issue? Once you guys come up with a good fix, maybe you can discuss it with him for replacement connectors if this starts to become a common issue.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
I did. But also he believes out of 400 sets nobody has issues on fitment on coil packs. I sent him a pic of how my coils sit compared to others. Mine sit much lower proving that R8 coils do not fully seat straight out of the box.
20180413_152611.jpg

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Im NOT trying to bash the product. As I said, these coils WORK. My timing has improved. Just saying I dont feel it was worth 500.00 when I had to wait 5 weeks (website said 2 weeks) and still had to modify parts for proper fitment. Basically installed the kit twice. First time had problems with connectors. I felt the coils did NOT fully engage the the plug. All pics on the net showed thats how they are supposed to sit. I went with it. Misfired. Pulled all coils out , measured, compared bosch fitment, depth, etc. Realized I was correct. Had to figure out why they didnt sit (R8 coils) all the way down. Once I trimmed a little at a time and FINALLY figured out the problem, had to do all coils the same way. Then install. Then the harness didnt want to stretch to fit all the coil packs at the angle they now sit. Just a headache for a 500.00 plug n play kit. Ive read reviews how they fit perfect and even "better" than OG BOSCH coils. If anyone believes that, you are NOT a meticulous mechanic / installer.