N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Not really. High school grads with adequate training can project go-live dates for hundred million dollar projects years in advance coordinating multiple business entities if they pay attention to the fundamentals of planning and forecasting.

Cool story. That's exactly the same as a currently unpaid, one man project, squeezing in hours outside of full-time employment and life responsibilities, etc. Not even getting into coding at the asm level, and working through legitimately unpredictable DME hurdles.

I never gave a release date, and admitted I should have held off posting originally but was excited to share that it worked and worked so well. There's a lot exciting stuff going on behind the scenes now as well, but will no longer be shared until it's ready.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Sorry Jyamona, don't mean to be negative or seem like I was attacking you. Not the case, we are all extremely grateful for what you have done and what you are doing. I was merely replying back to a comment.

And though I don't code...I can assist in other ways if you would like.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
I can try to help.
Maybe with grabbing coffee

In all seriousness whenever it is released it will be worth the wait X10. Every highly modified N54 owner has 5 other things they can be checking, upgrading, fixing, maintaining in the meantime.

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Cool story. That's exactly the same as a currently unpaid, one man project, squeezing in hours outside of full-time employment and life responsibilities, etc. Not even getting into coding at the asm level, and working through legitimately unpredictable DME hurdles.

I never gave a release date, and admitted I should have held off posting originally but was excited to share that it worked and worked so well. There's a lot exciting stuff going on behind the scenes now as well, but will no longer be shared until it's ready.

No, please - don't keep everything in the dark. I'm new to this platform but I can see that you are a tremendous resource and asset. I think it would be interesting to hear more of the details of the behind the scenes stuff. I work in IT so I know how things that appear to be within spitting distance can turn out to take MONTHS longer than originally thought, by seemingly minor issues. Rather than leaving us all in suspense, can you possibly share more of the technical details that you've been working through? I know that won't do any good for the Facebook bros, but for a small subset of the community it would be great.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
On the N55 version I have had some challenges. You have to find (or make) free memory of various types by reverse engineering compiled code that uses offset addressing and for which no decompiler or source code is available. When you write new code you have to patch it in safely and make certain you cause no side effects. You have to handle multiple versions. You have to handle error states. One wrong assumption and you have a bricked ECU. You have to write test tools. Overlaps with other project types with some unique twists.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
nah, had I known I'd probably just bought the pumps and shit already instead of waiting for a kit

Do you know what you're waiting for? Pumps and shit are nothing to do with this, it's software. The only hardware is the E sensor and it's already been mentioned it will be the conti sensor implemented.

• Agree
Reactions: 08_335i

b1mmr

Corporal
Jan 17, 2017
Do you know what you're waiting for? Pumps and shit are nothing to do with this, it's software. The only hardware is the E sensor and it's already been mentioned it will be the conti sensor implemented.
I know exactly what I'm waiting for, I'd just prefer to set it all up at once and together in accordance to their instructions. If I buy a pump and a sensor now from another company, that's the route I'm going. Not going 3 different ways and putting it all together on three different dates etc..

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
You don't know what you're talking about so quit complaining and filling this thread with bullshit. There is no groundbreaking new way to set up a damn E sensor and some magical pump they're selling. You'll likely change the sensor input wire in the DME box, that's it.

b1mmr

Corporal
Jan 17, 2017
You don't know what you're talking about so quit complaining and filling this thread with bullshit. There is no groundbreaking new way to set up a damn E sensor and some magical pump they're selling. You'll likely change the sensor input wire in the DME box, that's it.
oh okay this is the only option ever :tearsofjoy: got it, will shut up now.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Predicting project completion dates -when you don't know exactly what you have to do in order to complete the project- is a bullshit exercise that's mandated by marketing driven companies and somehow people got suckered into believing is reasonable. The reality is that some things take longer than others when you're pulling them out of thin air or it just hasn't been done before. Anyone that's worked big projects knows that we screw with 2 things all the time; completion date and budget. lol. Keep up the good work Jake, it'll be worth it all when it's done.

brocke

Private
May 13, 2017
Ride
1m
Amen, I've been working on a number of projects for these cars over the last 12 months and the R&D cost are crazy

Reverse engineering the highly complicated bmw ecu is no small undertaking and very time consuming

Keep up the great work