N54 Rod Knock what to do

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
And this thread is a perfect example of why you need to check everything over before buying an n54 in today's market. Why are there so many dishonest scammers out there?? I'm sorry but people who dont take care of there crap and push it onto unsuspecting victims make bmws look bad. Karma always swings a 360 and gets you back even worse. The amount of dishonest posrs on ways to screw someone else over is terrible for the bmw community. You bought a BMW, that has it's high costs and just because the value plummeted doesnt make it cheap. Repairs will always cost more than the cars worth.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Honestly i was joking kinda sarcastically i can't see you sneaking that past any sane person in charge of purchasing. Obviously you would never want use gear oil. I would really find out more before you do anything like that how would you feel if you sell this and buy a car with check engine light bulb disconnected to con you. I know if i bought a car with undisclosed blown engine i doing everything i can to find out if they played me like including checking forums. At that point could be legal mess or could be a psycho and just bad karma I'm the nicest person but stuff like that can bring out worst in people. This us a great community with people willing to help, you might get surprised and end up way better off than expected.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Honestly i was joking kinda sarcastically i can't see you sneaking that past any sane person in charge of purchasing. Obviously you would never want use gear oil. I would really find out more before you do anything like that how would you feel if you sell this and buy a car with check engine light bulb disconnected to con you. I know if i bought a car with undisclosed blown engine i doing everything i can to find out if they played me like including checking forums. At that point could be legal mess or could be a psycho and just bad karma I'm the nicest person but stuff like that can bring out worst in people. This us a great community with people willing to help, you might get surprised and end up way better off than expected.

That is why he sells it to a dealership and they have to deal with it. Lemon law will protect the next buyer.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
What's this "lemon law" you are referring to for used cars? In SC, if it's used, it either has an expressed warranty - typically 3 months/3k miles, or AS IS, no warranty. Some of the buy here/pay here lots, which is arguably where these cars are starting to end up - do 3 days/3 miles so they can say it has a warranty, lol. I'm fairly certain the lemon laws apply to new vehicles with the same issue 3 or more times.

• Agree
Reactions: The Convert

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
What's this "lemon law" you are referring to for used cars? In SC, if it's used, it either has an expressed warranty - typically 3 months/3k miles, or AS IS, no warranty. Some of the buy here/pay here lots, which is arguably where these cars are starting to end up - do 3 days/3 miles so they can say it has a warranty, lol. I'm fairly certain the lemon laws apply to new vehicles with the same issue 3 or more times.

https://www.dmv.org/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

You are right. I forgot that in some states it does not apply to used cars.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
If you're going to try trading it in, the additives in this video might be worth trying beforehand. Notice: this video is nearly unwatchable. I have no idea how it has so many views.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
That is why he sells it to a dealership and they have to deal with it. Lemon law will protect the next buyer.
Wasn't directing at you just seemed like started running away and anyway didn't want him walking into dealer and having them be like wtf

• Agree

pdxbimmertech

Lurker
Dec 18, 2017
Portland, OR
Ride
2008 E92 335i 6 spd
For what it's worth, I have seen a rod bearing failure on an original owner N54 with around 65K on it. Car was stock aside from a Dinan stage 2 tune and owner was overly cautious with maintenance doing everything recommended plus more and usually early on everything. He had asked for a quote at my work for the "upgraded" turbos Dinan lists on their site (wastegate rattle repair done and nothing more) as a preventative measure. That kind of owner/customer. He ended up bringing the car in for a noise diagnosis a couple weeks later and it was a rod knock. Although it's not "normal" and the N54 is a very stout engine, it can and does eat rod bearings. OP, I would take others advice and take it to another good shop that is familiar with the N54 and BMW's in general and get at least a second opinion before diving into this or making a decision. Good luck!

Matt's 08 335i

May 18, 2018
Ride
2008 BMW 335i
Hello everyone,
Thought that I give you guys a quick update. I took apart the oil filter this week just to see what it looks like. And sure enough as you guys can see there is plenty of little pieces of metal inside. Side note, when I was taking out the oil filter the top part as you guys can see from the picture was stuck inside the cap. If you look in my first picture the top is still stuck inside. I ended up having to hit the top of the oil cap with my hand and it ended up coming out that way. I tried with a pick tool but it would just lift one side and there was not enough clearance to get it out. So I'm not sure how this would of happen, It seems like a defective part. How does the top of an metal mess oil filter come apart so cleanly, and I'm not sure if any of the metal inside is from the oil filter from when it separated. Anyways looks like my oil filter broke off some how. How this happen I don't know, not sure if this could of led up to where I am at now. I will keep everyone posted, not sure what I'm gonna do still. using my bike as my daily, have a little Nissan but life is just to boring inside that car.

Attachments

• IMG_7893.jpg
    IMG_7893.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_7896.jpg
    IMG_7896.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 308
  • unnaddmed.jpg
    unnaddmed.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 303
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 305
  • unnsamed.jpg
    unnsamed.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Hello everyone,
Thought that I give you guys a quick update. I took apart the oil filter this week just to see what it looks like. And sure enough as you guys can see there is plenty of little pieces of metal inside. Side note, when I was taking out the oil filter the top part as you guys can see from the picture was stuck inside the cap. If you look in my first picture the top is still stuck inside. I ended up having to hit the top of the oil cap with my hand and it ended up coming out that way. I tried with a pick tool but it would just lift one side and there was not enough clearance to get it out. So I'm not sure how this would of happen, It seems like a defective part. How does the top of an metal mess oil filter come apart so cleanly, and I'm not sure if any of the metal inside is from the oil filter from when it separated. Anyways looks like my oil filter broke off some how. How this happen I don't know, not sure if this could of led up to where I am at now. I will keep everyone posted, not sure what I'm gonna do still. using my bike as my daily, have a little Nissan but life is just to boring inside that car.

Are you using OEM oil filters? It looks like a cheap filter. This isnt the cause of your rod knock though since the filter still worked, but it just broke at the top. Small pieces of metal in your oil is bad though, usually piston rings or crushed evalve shavings if you skipped timing. The only way the filter is the issue if your filter blocked all flow to the engine which Is highly unlikely.

Have you tried running the car with a new oil filter? If the knock is gone then the filter was the problem, but statistically that doesnt happen unless it's a super cheap China filter.

kayzrx82

Corporal
Apr 4, 2018
Ride
n54 335i
I wouldn't keep running the motor like that If it is a spun bearing. Your spreading the debris from it throughout the motor and can damage the crank journal beyond repair. Ive replaced a few rod bearing on a car that was ran on low oil. Its a lot of labor but I was able to save the crank.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
You officially have experienced bmw Burn lol might not been you but someone bought a autozone special , every other car you buy fram or whatever and don't waste your money our cars will kick you in the ass if you try using a coupon on their ass welcome to your second wife.

• Agree

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Btw if anyones interested I have a set of aa ignition coils less than 1k miles on them think 3 still work.

• Funny

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
If you're going to try trading it in, the additives in this video might be worth trying beforehand. Notice: this video is nearly unwatchable. I have no idea how it has so many views.

This is the shadest most chicken shit advice you can give. Your such a piece of shit. This exactly is why OP has his issue. FUCK YOU SIR