N54 Migraine

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Sigh...doin some regular wrenching and pulled a log. Looks GREAT, except I'm low on boost. By quite a bit. Felt a bit slow, but I've got traction problems so when I get a slow feeling pull I just generally write that off as another $10 of rubber left on the road.

But I'm 6psi low and my WG DC is screaming. Shit.

Do a boost leak test...the valve cover is split in half. Not cracked like normal...but straight up split wide open like a hooker at a bachelor party.

So now I have to stop all my DCT testing and replace a valve cover. I luckily have one sitting here...because N54 life. But it is the time loss that is the heart breaker.

This is my last spare factory VC, after this one splits I'll get a fancy one. Maybe have something engraved on it like "here lies my retirement savings" or something catchy.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Got any pics? Never seen one fail like that.

Might as well plug the ports if you have not already while you were in there and figure out your plan etc...

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I’ll do that once I take it off.

It's not a bad job all things considered. My recommendation is to take your time and the rear one is a slightly different angle iirc.

I put a dab of rtv on the threads and sealed the above counter sunk fastener with a dab of rtv up top too. No chance it will leak imo.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
It's not a bad job all things considered. My recommendation is to take your time and the rear one is a slightly different angle iirc.

I put a dab of rtv on the threads and sealed the above counter sunk fastener with a dab of rtv up top too. No chance it will leak imo.

It's just a pain in the butt. A pain that is 2x as painful when you are running PR coils.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Got the old busted mess off the engine last night and stuck the new hotness on. Ran out of time though so I still have some work to wrap it up. I should be back on the road tomorrow though.