N54 HPFP VCV Tables

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
What was so difficult about that?
Still can't believe releasing a product to market without those.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Different things in each file ...

He is the one who defined the tables everyone is using to silence the chattering. That's probably what he included.

I can't remember the specifics but at 40* C the hpfp uses a different pressure table. I think they were forcing it to kick over immediately and target a lower pressure or something to that effect.

The high pressure upon startup is what causes the chattering for N54s. Even with the changes you get a couple seconds of moderate chattering.

On N55's without the changes it seems startup is fine but warm is noisy which is the reverse of the N54.

So pressure tables should be adjusted accordingly, assuming the n55 tables are defined at some point.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Also I have a completely unfounded suspicion but it is winter time and most people have been running the helix without the chatter fix. When you consider how much noise it makes there is certainly quite a bit of bouncing back and forth going on. If it's temp related this could be occurring for quite some time and it may be a contributor in the whole cracked vacuum housing saga. Fortunately for everyone here @AzNdevil was able to track down the tables necessary to resolve 95% of the issue.

Reactions: AzNdevil

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Different things in each file ...

yep the names are different... you can match the address and description for what you need

He is the one who defined the tables everyone is using to silence the chattering. That's probably what he included.

I can't remember the specifics but at 40* C the hpfp uses a different pressure table. I think they were forcing it to kick over immediately and target a lower pressure or something to that effect.

The high pressure upon startup is what causes the chattering for N54s. Even with the changes you get a couple seconds of moderate chattering.

On N55's without the changes it seems startup is fine but warm is noisy which is the reverse of the N54.

So pressure tables should be adjusted accordingly, assuming the n55 tables are defined at some point.

and thanks to @Chris@Motiv for testing the theories out...

in short, the clunking is due to the high (~2900 psi) startup hpfp pressure in the high pressure fuel target (cold) map
you can either adjust the threshold on when it switches over to the (warm) map or reduce the fuel pressure target in the cold map

as for vcv tuning, higher A (Amperage) value = the valve extends more(more fuel), do keep in mind... the valve will lock up past a certain A

Last edited by a moderator:

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
yep the names are different... you can match the address and description for what you need

and thanks to @Chris@Motiv for testing the theories out...

in short, the clunking is due to the high (~2900 psi) startup hpfp pressure in the high pressure fuel target (cold) map
you can either adjust the threshold on when it switches over to the (warm) map or reduce the fuel pressure target in the cold map

as for vcv tuning, higher A (Amperage) value = the valve extends more(more fuel), do keep in mind... the valve will lock up past a certain A

It looks like the flow request to current request table is missing from your XDF. Here it is adapted from the xdf that Vargas shared.

Code:
  <XDFTABLE uniqueid="0x77F0" flags="0x0">
    <title>Flow Request to Current Request</title>
    <CATEGORYMEM index="0" category="2" />
    <CATEGORYMEM index="1" category="171" />
    <XDFAXIS id="x" uniqueid="0x0">
      <EMBEDDEDDATA mmedtypeflags="0x02" mmedaddress="0x5537E" mmedelementsizebits="16" mmedcolcount="16" mmedmajorstridebits="0" mmedminorstridebits="0" />
      <units>L/H</units>
      <indexcount>16</indexcount>
      <embedinfo type="1" />
      <datatype>0</datatype>
      <unittype>0</unittype>
      <DALINK index="0" />
      <MATH equation="X*.003891050584">
        <VAR id="X" />
      </MATH>
    </XDFAXIS>
    <XDFAXIS id="y" uniqueid="0x0">
      <EMBEDDEDDATA mmedelementsizebits="16" mmedmajorstridebits="-32" mmedminorstridebits="0" />
      <units>A</units>
      <indexcount>1</indexcount>
      <datatype>0</datatype>
      <unittype>0</unittype>
      <DALINK index="0" />
      <LABEL index="0" value="0.00" />
      <MATH equation="X">
        <VAR id="X" />
      </MATH>
    </XDFAXIS>
    <XDFAXIS id="z">
      <EMBEDDEDDATA mmedtypeflags="0x02" mmedaddress="0x4A5AC" mmedelementsizebits="16" mmedrowcount="1" mmedcolcount="16" mmedmajorstridebits="0" mmedminorstridebits="0" />
      <decimalpl>2</decimalpl>
      <min>0.000000</min>
      <max>255.000000</max>
      <outputtype>1</outputtype>
      <MATH equation="X*.001">
        <VAR id="X" />
      </MATH>
    </XDFAXIS>
  </XDFTABLE>

Last edited:

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
It looks like the flow request to current request table is missing from your XDF. Here it is adapted from the xdf that Vargas shared.

thanks i overlooked and posted one of the older xdfs i have
anyways theres more stuff (eg. traction control/knock/misfire management) i have mapped out unrelated to vcv so if anyones interested go take a look

1580023456040.png

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
What is misfire deactivation?

Also I think you told me about some way to monitor knock signal externally, is that part of this?

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
What is misfire deactivation?

Also I think you told me about some way to monitor knock signal externally, is that part of this?

in general, misfire - knock - preigntion are pretty much the same thing, cylinder mixture igniting when its not supposed to

knock signal external monitoring is different from this, it needs to be done through canbus by sending a control packet to trigger (can't rmb off the top of my head)
the dme will send knock sensor raw values back directly through canbus as well

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Glad to finally see somebody going through and adding more available tables to the definition. Following.

anything you like specifically? i believe you have the technical docs as well...
no gurantees i can do it though... im not as skilled as guys like jake

Manuel416

Jan 28, 2020
Technical docs- youre speaking about "Funktionsrahmen" of the dme?would Be nice to have Them..but i dont Trust the russian site where you can Download IT.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
anything you like specifically? i believe you have the technical docs as well...
no gurantees i can do it though... im not as skilled as guys like jake

I am not Justin but i would like to ask you something :) Do you accidentally know about the upshift bangs? Many cars have them intentionally like the TTRS or maybe also some BMWs (i only know it from local TTRS). I was in the talks with V8Bait about that and his idea was to activate burble so that the effect might also appear during shifting. But it wasn´t that.

My DCT does it sometimes accidentally from 1 to 2. And it is awesome :D

Uh and if it is not asked too much the breakpoints of the fuel cut delay tables would be super awesome.

I guess the vertical values are load so practically 90 load is the limit for individual setup.

Last edited:

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
I am not Justin but i would like to ask you something :) Do you accidentally know about the upshift bangs? Many cars have them intentionally like the TTRS or maybe also some BMWs (i only know it from local TTRS). I was in the talks with V8Bait about that and his idea was to activate burble so that the effect might also appear during shifting. But it wasn´t that.

My DCT does it sometimes accidentally from 1 to 2. And it is awesome :D

Uh and if it is not asked too much the breakpoints of the fuel cut delay tables would be super awesome.

I guess the vertical values are load so practically 90 load is the limit for individual setup.

are you referring to upshift bangs like this?

fuel cut delay table vertical breakpoints are temperature (celcius) based
there are more tables in that section to be defined, at the current state these tables arent exactly useful IMO
even if the tables are defined it is not easy to explain how the tables are interconnected to each other

1580308444713.png

Reactions: Omar@VaderSolutions

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
I think hes talking about upshifts, the weird farting noise a lot of new auto or dkg cars do when upshifting.

Reactions: JohnDaviz