N54 buildt engine - Pauter Rods, ARP Studs questions

Sucukman

Private
Jan 20, 2020
Ride
BMW 335is
1. has any of you installed Pauter connecting rods for the N54 and can tell me a little more about the adjustments needed? I bought the most expensive connecting rods so that I wouldn't have any problems, now I have the problem that the X shaft hits the cylinder bottom and blocks the crankshaft. According to the homepage, if it doesn't fit, you shouldn't edit anything on the connecting rod, but mill off a part of the cylinder base. Now the question is whether that is good, because the lower part of the cylinder is made of aluminum and the cylinder liner sits on it.

"Some makes of small bore-long stroke engines may require minor notching of the cylinder block to allow full rod rotation cycle without interference. This should be done prior to final engine cleaning and assembly. Allow 1/16″ (1.5mm) minimum clearance. Also take care to watch the location of the oil ring at BDC so as not to encroach on the ring seal with clearance groove. DO NOT MODIFY ROD BEAM!
In some engines, main bearing girdles may also present clearance issues, be certain to check unit for interference prior to final cleanup and assembly."

the second thing, I bought new ARP head studs at a partout, unfortunately there is no instruction on how to put them on. has someone installed this and can give me the data? It is the variant with the M11 and M9 studs, i.e. the ones without drilling out the thread

thank you

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-11-19 at 20.37.14.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-11-19 at 20.37.14.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 139
  • blkclr.jpg
    blkclr.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
There are lots of rods that are good and fit without modification on this platform. I don't know why you'd get a set that you need to mill the block for. IMO, send them back.

re: head studs...

clean the block, chase if necessary

install studs hand tight

install head

lube stud threads with arp's assembly lube, then install washers and nuts onto the studs hand tight

work up to 80 ftlbs in proper pattern, newtis has this

Sucukman

Private
Jan 20, 2020
Ride
BMW 335is
There are lots of rods that are good and fit without modification on this platform. I don't know why you'd get a set that you need to mill the block for. IMO, send them back.

re: head studs...

clean the block, chase if necessary

install studs hand tight

install head

lube stud threads with arp's assembly lube, then install washers and nuts onto the studs hand tight

work up to 80 ftlbs in proper pattern, newtis has this

thank you for your reply. unfortunately these were bought 2 years ago and only yesterday we wanted to install them. I'll try to send them back because I don't want to mill on the block.

Because of the torque, do you also think that the small M9 screws get the same torque as the M11?

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
Its common to cut the block for rods on other platforms.

Just get it cut its not going to weaken your block.

Reactions: Cruizinmax

Sucukman

Private
Jan 20, 2020
Ride
BMW 335is
Its common to cut the block for rods on other platforms.

Just get it cut its not going to weaken your block.

the block is made of aluminum and the place to be milled is a small part of aluminum that carries the steel sleeve. after several emails with pauter they offered that i send the rods at my own costs back to edit them and then send them back to me with slow usps shipping. a lot of money for bad service, we should have stayed with carillo. I will take the connecting rods to grinded and precisely weighed by a motorsport engine builder. I do not recommend buying the Pauter connecting rods.

• Dumb
Reactions: The Convert

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
the block is made of aluminum and the place to be milled is a small part of aluminum that carries the steel sleeve. after several emails with pauter they offered that i send the rods at my own costs back to edit them and then send them back to me with slow usps shipping. a lot of money for bad service, we should have stayed with carillo. I will take the connecting rods to grinded and precisely weighed by a motorsport engine builder. I do not recommend buying the Pauter connecting rods.
You don’t recommend Pauter because of your failure to do your research and develop a full build plan before buying parts? That’s the most absurd thing I’ve seen on here in a while. Take responsibility for your own mistakes, and do your homework next time.

Reactions: nyt

Sucukman

Private
Jan 20, 2020
Ride
BMW 335is
You don’t recommend Pauter because of your failure to do your research and develop a full build plan before buying parts? That’s the most absurd thing I’ve seen on here in a while. Take responsibility for your own mistakes, and do your homework next time.

you say I didn't do the right research? and I tell you that Pauter himself didn't know that it didn't fit and he said we sold so much and there were never any problems. What you are saying here is absurd.

thats the standard text from many US Part "developer" when something is wron with the parts.

"I must say we have not seen this type of interference with the N54 series engine previously are all other parts standard ?" " we have not heard of previous customers having this issue with this N54 engine platform before however this type of clearance modification is commonly required in small bore engines with very long OEM stroke or those where stroke has been purposely increased . "

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
you say I didn't do the right research? and I tell you that Pauter himself didn't know that it didn't fit and he said we sold so much and there were never any problems. What you are saying here is absurd.

thats the standard text from many US Part "developer" when something is wron with the parts.

"I must say we have not seen this type of interference with the N54 series engine previously are all other parts standard ?" " we have not heard of previous customers having this issue with this N54 engine platform before however this type of clearance modification is commonly required in small bore engines with very long OEM stroke or those where stroke has been purposely increased . "
Their response is completely reasonable.

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i
It's very commonplace to require notching the block to clear rods. Even aluminum blocks with steels sleeves. The amount of material you remove is not going to compromise the support of the cylinder by any meaningful amount. Remember the steel sleeve is cast in the block and is supported by aluminum it's full length. They're not just sitting on a ledge that supports all the load

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
It's very commonplace to require notching the block to clear rods. Even aluminum blocks with steels sleeves. The amount of material you remove is not going to compromise the support of the cylinder by any meaningful amount. Remember the steel sleeve is cast in the block and is supported by aluminum it's full length. They're not just sitting on a ledge that supports all the load
However, sleeves can drop due to coefficient of thermal expansion differences between the block and sleeve materials if there is no ledge to support the sleeve. As you said though, notching for rod clearance is not going to remove the entire ledge though and should not be a problem.

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i
However, sleeves can drop due to coefficient of thermal expansion differences between the block and sleeve materials if there is no ledge to support the sleeve. As you said though, notching for rod clearance is not going to remove the entire ledge though and should not be a problem.
Not to perpetuate an argument but the cylinder liner can not "drop" like an aftermarket sleeve insert. Being cast in place allows for manufacturing design elements such as grooves in the cylinder liner as shown here in this cross section of this block.

Attachments

• 19EF5263-897F-428C-93FB-9AF71B57EBF3.jpeg
    19EF5263-897F-428C-93FB-9AF71B57EBF3.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 120
  • BDFCBA30-AF52-47CF-918B-FEBDA62EABD1.jpeg
    BDFCBA30-AF52-47CF-918B-FEBDA62EABD1.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 115

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Not to perpetuate an argument but the cylinder liner can not "drop" like an aftermarket sleeve insert. Being cast in place allows for manufacturing design elements such as grooves in the cylinder liner as shown here in this cross section of this block.
Had to do some reading because I’d never heard of blocks being cast around the sleeves. That’s pretty interesting.