N54 bank 1 runs lean and rich

Templedakota

Lurker
May 25, 2021
2008 335i. Mostly stock. No maps. No tunes. Catless down pipes and dual cones.

car has given me hell over the last couple weeks. I have done the following to try and get the car running right in the last couple weeks

all 6 new index 12 injectors (they were coded)
All 4 O2 sensors replaced
All 6 spark plugs replaced
All 6 coil packs replaced
Cleaned intake valves

most of the time the car idling fines. Other times it doesn’t. Most of the time the car has barely any power from 750 rpm to 2.5k rpms. Rarely the car will drive will full power throughout the whole rpm ban.
Mis firing in cylinders 1-3.
sometimes I’ll get a 30ff code
Sometimes I’ll get super knocking code for cylinders 1 and 2

car seems to run rich sometimes on bank one and lean other times. I don’t know that much about logs. Maybe someone can help me find out the problem by looking at logs. Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 420748A3-8ECF-4CF6-831D-6E4311C0FB88.png
    420748A3-8ECF-4CF6-831D-6E4311C0FB88.png
    469.7 KB · Views: 95

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
Your fuel trims are off. Try to make a propper log please. 3rd gear WOT from 2k to redline an post. Why did you change the downpipes but did not flash the car with a tune? How did you delete the o2 sensors?

Reactions: colo_evo

Templedakota

Lurker
May 25, 2021
Your fuel trims are off. Try to make a propper log please. 3rd gear WOT from 2k to redline an post. Why did you change the downpipes but did not flash the car with a tune? How did you delete the o2 sensors?
I didn’t delete the o2 sensors. It has all 4 still. Here’s the 3rd gear log. I’m thinking the ecu may have water damage. I drove throw some water the day before I started having issues. I did test mosfets, But they came back fine.

Templedakota

Lurker
May 25, 2021
Everything I read online says you don’t have to tune the car for downpipes. However, I plan to tune the car later on with Mhd.

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
Man, your log looks very bad. Dont WOT the car anymore before you rule out what is wrong. STFT1 is maxed out. Bad timing corrections and way too much timing added on the motor. You sure the ecu is not touched? I doubt that. Have not seen 11 deg of timing on a stock motor when WOT yet. And if you have DP's how the hell are the o2 sensors not throwing codes? (Well, it is throwing codes...) If you want us to help we need the full story of the car. Are you the first owner? If not, did the car ever perform well since you bought it? What Fuel are you using? How deep was tge water? Hell, you did not drove it thru a river, right? Tell us what happened exactly.

Templedakota

Lurker
May 25, 2021
Man, your log looks very bad. Dont WOT the car anymore before you rule out what is wrong. STFT1 is maxed out. Bad timing corrections and way too much timing added on the motor. You sure the ecu is not touched? I doubt that. Have not seen 11 deg of timing on a stock motor when WOT yet. And if you have DP's how the hell are the o2 sensors not throwing codes? (Well, it is throwing codes...) If you want us to help we need the full story of the car. Are you the first owner? If not, did the car ever perform well since you bought it? What Fuel are you using? How deep was tge water? Hell, you did not drove it thru a river, right? Tell us what happened exactly.

Iv owned the car for 5 months now. 89k miles. Drove car throw about 2 feet deep of water. Car drove fine on the way home. (50 more miles). Next day I started having all sorts of issues. Misfires on all cylinders. I was getting faulty injector codes. Haven’t seen injector codes since I replaced injectors.
Sometimes the car throws the down pipe codes and sometimes it doesn’t.
Yesterday when I was driving it, it freaked out. All my dash lights came on and I had a huge loss of power. I restarted the car and was able to drive home.

Templedakota

Lurker
May 25, 2021
The car preformed perfectly before I started the car after the day I drove throw the 2 ft river. It was flash flooding man.

Templedakota

Lurker
May 25, 2021
Another thing I have noticed, when I start the car it drives with full power for about a minute. Maybe because the lambda is in open loop? I opened up the ECU and don’t see any water damage or anything. Should I buy Mhd flasher and try putting stock map on car? I honestly don’t have a tune on the car. Everything was stock.

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
I have no idea to be honest. But i doubt the car is stock with such a high timing request thru the whole rpm range... you replaced the injectors and coils, which is good. No DP fix which is bad and throwing codes sooner or later. If you ask me, flash the car with a low octane MHD Stage 1 map and see what it does. BTW check the cooling fan... is it running when you start the car (AC off)? If not, turn the AC on and see if the fan starts to run.

EDIT: Delete the o2 sensors with MHD! It has to be a checkbox to select.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Another thing I have noticed, when I start the car it drives with full power for about a minute. Maybe because the lambda is in open loop? I opened up the ECU and don’t see any water damage or anything. Should I buy Mhd flasher and try putting stock map on car? I honestly don’t have a tune on the car. Everything was stock.
Did you code your injectors?

Templedakota

Lurker
May 25, 2021
I have no idea to be honest. But i doubt the car is stock with such a high timing request thru the whole rpm range... you replaced the injectors and coils, which is good. No DP fix which is bad and throwing codes sooner or later. If you ask me, flash the car with a low octane MHD Stage 1 map and see what it does. BTW check the cooling fan... is it running when you start the car (AC off)? If not, turn the AC on and see if the fan starts to run.

EDIT: Delete the o2 sensors with MHD! It has to be a checkbox to select.
After reading this I believe my ECU is bad. This guys is had very similar issue. I’m going to try and update the tune and if not I’m going to get MSD81. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540706

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
Why are you so focused on a bad ECU? 2008 Cars already have a MSD 81... well, late 2008's does. However, lets go the MHD route for now and see what happen.

Templedakota

Lurker
May 25, 2021
Why are you so focused on a bad ECU? 2008 Cars already have a MSD 81... well, late 2008's does. However, lets go the MHD route for now and see what happen.
I have MSD80. Car has a build date of 2/2008. MSD80 written on the ECU. Focused on the ECU because for 1 it’s MSD80. Look at these weird codes it through last night.. what else could it be?

Attachments

• DCEAF0FA-BAB6-46BB-8A5F-794994FC62B4.png
    DCEAF0FA-BAB6-46BB-8A5F-794994FC62B4.png
    628.7 KB · Views: 84

Templedakota

Lurker
May 25, 2021
Holy crap. Ok, keep us posted.
Flashed the ECU and nothing new. Car still acts the same way. First minute the car has full power. After a min, hesitation, misfiring and lack of power. I’m pretty sure I need ECU. Anyone have recommendations for MSD81 swap? I see Colorado has it for $600.

Templedakota

Lurker
May 25, 2021
Flashed the ECU and nothing new. Car still acts the same way. First minute the car has full power. After a min, hesitation, misfiring and lack of power. I’m pretty sure I need ECU. Anyone have recommendations for MSD81 swap? I see Colorado has it for $600.
I guess I could try linear throttle map? Maybe that would put a bandaid on it?