My SpeedTech 6266 Gen2 N54 Z4 build...

Eracer76

Private
Feb 9, 2017
Ride
2009 Z4 35i
Nice car and great build 👍
do you have any videos with the exhaust and the single turbo?

Sorry, I don't have any videos yet. The car is literally in pieces right now, getting more updates and upgrades :)

@Eracer76 what motor mounts are you running with that setup? Thanks.

Filippo
Just the stock mounts for now, but once I get it back up and running again after this round of mods, I'm sure I'll be looking into replacing them soon!
Do you have upgraded mounts? Any suggestions?

Eracer76

Private
Feb 9, 2017
Ride
2009 Z4 35i
I figured I'd revive the thread again with everything I've been doing to the car! lol

After getting it running again late last fall for some test runs of the new single turbo/upgrades... I literally tore the whole car apart again for winter mods and upgrades. :smirk:
There are some BIG changes being made to the cosmetics and weight savings, and I'll have some pictures of it all coming soon once it gets closer to being done. Just to give some hints, its getting new M-sport bumpers, its getting completely re-wrapped, there's no more roof/top on the car, and much more! lol

But for now... here's some pictures of a couple mechanical changes I've completed so far :)

I upgraded the radiator to the all aluminum 2 row CSF work of art.. and then I just couldn't bring myself to blocking it with the oil cooler, so I relocated the oil cooler yet again lol

_nc_ohc=6wPDlD4a_jUAX-9aVRu&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=p-bOT2bexHEAX_j4bf1&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=HUuIo4NuayUAX-QMAAm&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

Last edited:

Eracer76

Private
Feb 9, 2017
Ride
2009 Z4 35i
I also just installed a pieced together BMW performance BBK upgrade for the front and rear... 370mm/ 14.5" front rotors with 4 piston calipers and 345mm/ 13.5" rear rotors with 2 piston calipers... I can't wait to see how these bad boys perform!

_nc_ohc=ZwBPDyVK9sEAX8YiVQq&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=XqLKgiUhe8EAX82kuVL&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

These are 19" wheels BTW! LOL

_nc_ohc=mLF7AdPmezsAX9EqhMZ&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=ZpzugYl6xCAAX9QHfNu&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

Reactions: doublespaces

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Now this radiator is looking huge :D Wow. Do you think this small oil cooler is sufficient?

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Great to see another Z4 with upgraded cooling on the drivers side. Sad to see that you didn't take any of the recommendations I spent so much time to develop on track during last year. :p

I used to run this exact setup. 7.5hd, csf rad, stock oil cooler, second oil cooler on the drivers side.

It doesn't work.

I documented everything here on spoolstreet but it is buried deep in my build thread and that track cooling thread by barry. So here's the summery:

Your iat will be fine. Your oil will be fine as well, but still rise as you push. Don't worry about that. Coolant will skyrocket if you push in hot weather.
The csf is way too small, because it is the same size as the stock rad, which is super small even for stock power. Don't buy it. Adding thickness isn't enough. I even downsized the fmic and went up to 8cm in rad thickness at one point. Limited ROI there, and iat skyrocketed. Also forget about water wetter etc.

After way too many revisions, I ended up increasing the surface area of the water cooling system by adding two aux rads, and that helped alot. So I highly recommend running an aux radiator rather than an aux oil cooler. What they did with the 1M was right. Here's what I did:

790658324.jpg overviews(2).jpg

The 7.5hd is great though... I only went with the ER comp fmic (M235i version, not PnP btw) because it allowed me to install an aux rad behind it. They both have the same frontal area, the ER just isn't stepped like the 7.5.

Anyway none of this matters on the street or on the drag strip.

Reactions: Eracer76

Eracer76

Private
Feb 9, 2017
Ride
2009 Z4 35i
Great to see another Z4 with upgraded cooling on the drivers side. Sad to see that you didn't take any of the recommendations I spent so much time to develop on track during last year. :p

I used to run this exact setup. 7.5hd, csf rad, stock oil cooler, second oil cooler on the drivers side.

It doesn't work.

I documented everything here on spoolstreet but it is buried deep in my build thread and that track cooling thread by barry. So here's the summery:

Your iat will be fine. Your oil will be fine as well, but still rise as you push. Don't worry about that. Coolant will skyrocket if you push in hot weather.
The csf is way too small, because it is the same size as the stock rad, which is super small even for stock power. Don't buy it. Adding thickness isn't enough. I even downsized the fmic and went up to 8cm in rad thickness at one point. Limited ROI there, and iat skyrocketed. Also forget about water wetter etc.

After way too many revisions, I ended up increasing the surface area of the water cooling system by adding two aux rads, and that helped alot. So I highly recommend running an aux radiator rather than an aux oil cooler. What they did with the 1M was right. Here's what I did:

View attachment 36777 View attachment 36778

The 7.5hd is great though... I only went with the ER comp fmic (M235i version, not PnP btw) because it allowed me to install an aux rad behind it. They both have the same frontal area, the ER just isn't stepped like the 7.5.

Anyway none of this matters on the street or on the drag strip.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely have to find some time to read more of your impressive build. I have yet to actually road track my car though. If I ever do, it'll just be for fun and not for competition, at least not at first lol... The only racing I've done besides the street, is 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile events. Even during the standing start 1/2 mile events, while running my car up to a best of 160 mph, I haven't experienced any overheating problems..The VRSF 7.5 race IC definitely helped my IAT's from my previous aftermarket IC by more then 50 degrees F during a 1/2 mile pass, but it also helped the engine run better and cooler. I only bought the CSF radiator because I wanted the extra reassurance because my stock radiator was looking horribly beat up and I figured it can only help matters.

What do you use for an engine oil t-stat? I have the VTT t-stat delete plate and my oil temps have been more then fine, if anything it takes too long to get up to operating temps. If I ever start tracking my car, I can always add an additional water cooler to the passenger side in series to the CSF. My CSF also doesn't have the trans cooler because my car is a M/T and my complete A/C system has also been removed from the car, so I don't have that blocking my radiator. I also noticed that after switching to my new single turbo kit, the car runs cooler, at least on the street, but I haven't had the chance to race it yet. So, hopefully all of those factors will help keep my engine cooler then most. :)

Last edited:

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely have to find some time to read more of your impressive build. I have yet to actually road track my car though. If I ever do, it'll just be for fun and not for competition, at least not at first lol... The only racing I've done besides the street, is 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile events. Even during the standing start 1/2 mile events, while running my car up to a best of 160 mph, I haven't experienced any overheating problems..The VRSF 7.5 race IC definitely helped my IAT's from my previous aftermarket IC by more then 50 degrees F during a 1/2 mile pass, but it also helped the engine run better and cooler. I only bought the CSF radiator because I wanted the extra reassurance because my stock radiator was looking horribly beat up and I figured it can only help matters.

What do you use for an engine oil t-stat? I have the VTT t-stat delete plate and my oil temps have been more then fine, if anything it takes too long to get up to operating temps. If I ever start tracking my car, I can always add an additional water cooler to the passenger side in series to the CSF. My CSF also doesn't have the trans cooler because my car is a M/T and my complete A/C system has also been removed from the car, so I don't have that blocking my radiator. I also noticed that after switching to my new single turbo kit, the car runs cooler, at least on the street, but I haven't had the chance to race it yet. So, hopefully all of those factors will help keep my engine cooler then most. :)

For street and drag racing you are fine. And I agree the 7.5HD is great. It was my first aftermarket FMIC. Now Im on my 4th lol.

And yes, the CSF is nice, I run it myself. Only problem is the price, the quality issues (some start to leak), and the fact that it doesn't help cool the car. But of course it will perform better than any dirty old stock radiator, which is also why I have kept it in. But really, I should just have gotten a new stock radiator, and considered converting to MT style instead of AT style. If I remember correctly, the AT version eats 14% of the engine cooling capacity.

I ran t-stat delete for a while. It doesn't increase the cooling capacity of the system, it just delays warm up. During the winter my oil temp wouldn't get up to 100C, so I went back to stock. In my understanding, you don't want to run the engine oil below 100C as moisture could build up. My second oil cooler has no thermostat. I just turn on the pump using a cabin switch when I enter the track. It works as part of my (useless) semi-dry oil sump. It sucks oil from the front of the sump and returns it to the location of the oil pickup inside a baffle. It only runs when I press the brake, which makes for some funny oil temp logs on track. I never use it on street.

If you ever add an aux radiator, please put it in parallel, not series, and use good ID lines. Anyway you wont need this for your application, especially not with MT and big turbo.

PS I believe the vtt t-stat delete makes more sense if you run oil cooler delete, like for drag strip applications. For max power (ie drag strip) you want hot oil and cool coolant afaik. I am not sure if the oil temp tables in the DME have any influence on power correction though... I know coolant and iat have, ie the lower the less power reduction.

Last edited:

TDJ Stefan

Apr 22, 2019
Ride
Bmw Z4 35i
Great stuff! What is your solution for the parking brake when running diffrent calipers?