My money pit N54

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Just wanted to do a quick build break down on my 335i. It's a pretty simple setup id say.

Starting off with the fuel system, I run the Dual pump holder from @PFS with a Walbro 450 as my main pump with a walbro 525 as a secondary, big thanks to @Torgus for suppling me with the harness for the second pump. Along side that I run a PFS overdrive, no issues with it as of yet. With the Overdrive I got the full 6an fuel line kit that goes all the way back to the tank. Sadly I don't have pictures of the overdrive but I'll snag some the next I take the intake manifold.
IMG-4950.JPGIMG-4951.jpg

Now as for the engine itself and the things around it. I'm using JE 9.5.1 pistons standard bore. As for rods I'm running Manley i beam turbo tuff rods. Picked up my 11mm headstuds and Athena cut ring head gasket from Vac. As for crank hub I'm running the new updated hub from BMW, no issues as of yet, tons of abuse still holing strong. Went with King standard clearance main and rod bearings. Stock head and intake manifold for now. The intake manifold will likely be replaced soon when i eventually switch to port, as for the head maybe if i keep the car ill build it. Recently added Dual OCC's from burger motorsports as i plugged the head ports during the engine build. The kit works well, lately I've been filling the lowside with condensation as its cold here. Curious where the rest of the single turbo boys run the out port on the high side catch can. As for the Turbo kit, it was fabricated by my long time friend who now runs a company Called Oracle performance, As for the the turbo itself it's a Pulsar 3572R with a T51R mod and a 1.01ar V band exhaust housing. Although he's now working on a bottom mount setup and I'm considering making the switch. As for a clutch i'm using a X clutch Organic twin disk. Recently added a RTD shifter as well, makes the car way more enjoyable to drive, along side a Bms clutch pedal stop. I will note RTD messed up my order and sent me the wrong color shift knob and still haven't fixed their mistake. Engine now has about 4000Kms on it and seems to be running well so far. As for boost control it's controlled via Reflex. Cars tuned by the legend @carabuser, super happy with all my tunes. He can likely explain how he controls the mac solenoid via the stock dme.

IMG-5645.jpgIMG-5666.jpgIMG-5745.jpgIMG-5747.jpgIMG-5764.jpgIMG-5765.jpgIMG-5892.JPGIMG-6225.JPGIMG-6224.JPG

As for little odds and ends, cars on bilstien B6 shocks all around, with TRW m3 contronl arms, A oracle performance diff brace. OEM is engine mounts and Rouge engineering trans mounts.

I'll add some previous carnage along side the old setup before it let go. The turbos looked better then the pistons for sure. Ignore the exhaust it was temporary to make it drive able😂. Also swapped to Coral red this year. Almost my favorite mod
IMG-5654.jpgIMG-5783.jpgIMG-5784.jpgIMG-5785.jpgIMG-4407.jpgIMG-4953.jpgIMG-6056.JPG

These performance numbers aren't totally relevant as i couldn't floor it in third gear due to traction issues caused by cold weather. but still impressive for partial throttle threw third. The 7.07 is my Best on twins, yes that was with the same manual transmission, engaged dct mode that day.
IMG-6227.PNG

IMG-6221.PNG
IMG-6222.PNG
IMG-6223.PNG

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Nice! For the updated BMW crank hub you mentioned, is that the oem updated hub they came out with for s55? Same style, but bigger bearing area on the friction surfaces?

mj6234

Corporal
Nov 25, 2020
Out of curiousity, where are people getting their engines built? Is there a preferred/proven shop that can build with rod/pistons + upgraded bearings and ship? Or are they just using local machine shops (that may not have experience with the N54)?

Reactions: wheela

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Nice! For the updated BMW crank hub you mentioned, is that the oem updated hub they came out with for s55? Same style, but bigger bearing area on the friction surfaces?
Yes it is the updated S55 crank hub with larger contact surfaces and updated grip disks, i got the idea from @JohnDaviz.
Out of curiousity, where are people getting their engines built? Is there a preferred/proven shop that can build with rod/pistons + upgraded bearings and ship? Or are they just using local machine shops (that may not have experience with the N54)?
I built my engine at home, had someone come by to double check my clearances besides that i did all of the work. Personally if i had to get my engine built and i had money money i'd have Vac assemble it. I've heard good things about Ali as well.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Yes it is the updated S55 crank hub with larger contact surfaces and updated grip disks, i got the idea from @JohnDaviz.

I built my engine at home, had someone come by to double check my clearances besides that i did all of the work. Personally if i had to get my engine built and i had money money i'd have Vac assemble it. I've heard good things about Ali as well.

If we didnt have an experienced engine builder here in oz all the work would be done at vac only, seen to many horror stories but only good
things from vac.

Yes they are pricey but for a reason as experience and quality is not cheap.

I'm getting them to sleave my 1m block and close deck it for my next build if the billet one doesn't come to fruition.

If I get a billet block my 1m might end up with an n54 again one day.

Nice build, makes me miss my 335i.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Nice build! Maybe I missed it, but is the block stock?
The block is stock. I wish I went with a sleeved block but at that point we're talking almost double the amount of money. Maybe one day but for now I'll keep the car around 700wheel to keep it safeish.
If we didnt have an experienced engine builder here in oz all the work would be done at vac only, seen to many horror stories but only good
things from vac.

Yes they are pricey but for a reason as experience and quality is not cheap.

I'm getting them to sleave my 1m block and close deck it for my next build if the billet one doesn't come to fruition.

If I get a billet block my 1m might end up with an n54 again one day.

Nice build, makes me miss my 335i.
Exactly I've heard nothing but positive things about vac, if i go sleeved and ported head i plan to have it done by them. Thank you! and maybee you should buy another 335i

Reactions: martymil

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Just want some general opinions from everyone, if I swap transmissions should i go 8 speed with the lamik controller, or a DCT? Although I believe we didn't get rwd 8HP70's in Canada

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
That makes sense. I currently have sleeved block that is bad, so plan is to rebuild my spare N54 with pistons, rods, and a refreshed head. I'm at 500whp, max 600whp, so no concerns with stock block from my side.

Considering STD piston, may I ask if you honed the cylinder bores to freshen up the surface?
Yes I did hone the cylinder walls to freshen the surface up, but we did use to a bore gauge to verify even ware of the cylinder walls.

jzx_andy

Corporal
May 22, 2019
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
2008 E92 335i 6MT
Just want some general opinions from everyone, if I swap transmissions should i go 8 speed with the lamik controller, or a DCT? Although I believe we didn't get rwd 8HP70's in Canada

8hp70 can cop more torque than a factory dct, has heaps of options once the Lamik is hooked up (clutch by wire is a thing and I'm pretty sure there's also a transbrake function), and has better street manners. It'll cost you a bit more than an e series dct swap though.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I think it's the first ST car running stock WGDC control logic thanks to the MHD+ and Reflex combo being able to convert the signal for the Mac solenoid. Took a while to rework the base table and needed to define some extra tables to stop the wastegate PID timeout as the ST is much more lazy at lower RPM.

The MHD+ boost tables would have been easier and faster to set up but I think the drivability would suffer. The aim was to avoid the usual all or nothing boost control that you see on most singles where they are either not moving or laying black stripes.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I think the 8HP70 would put up with the abuse for longer and be the better box for hooning. Can also hold more torque.

The DCT is still a better technology and it integrates naturally into the vehicle without an external controller. Now you can flash it with the M3 GTS software it really wakes it up. I've not driven the 8HP70 but I've driven with the 8HP45 a lot and it doesn't match the DCT for smoothness around town or shift speed at WOT.

mj6234

Corporal
Nov 25, 2020
I think it's the first ST car running stock WGDC control logic thanks to the MHD+ and Reflex combo being able to convert the signal for the Mac solenoid. Took a while to rework the base table and needed to define some extra tables to stop the wastegate PID timeout as the ST is much more lazy at lower RPM.

The MHD+ boost tables would have been easier and faster to set up but I think the drivability would suffer. The aim was to avoid the usual all or nothing boost control that you see on most singles where they are either not moving or laying black stripes.

Appreciate the feedback. I am at a little bit of a crossroads with my car, but have considered moving to a single if my twins ever give up the ghost. I definitely am going to go to the Reflex+ and incorporate PI and the existing FF kit. Using the Reflex to control the Mac solenoid is the way that I would go.

Do you think that all STs would need to extend the PID timeout to make this work? Or just for the larger singles? Seems like a pretty useful table to have defined.

• Agree

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
and needed to define some extra tables to stop the wastegate PID timeout as the ST is much more lazy at lower RPM.
Thanks for sharing this information. Building on mj6234's question, if you don't mind my asking, what kind of driving conditions was the PID timeout happening in? Obviously it would take longer to hit target at the start of WOT, but I also imagine that with a really large turbine, the amount of exhaust flow during normal driving around may not be enough to hit those smaller boost targets. I'm also considering a larger turbo (but I'm n55) and just trying to anticipate what some of the tuning hurdles will be.

mj6234

Corporal
Nov 25, 2020
@carabuser - I have been doing some research to see if I could identify the parameters you mentioned above. This is more about me learning than anything at this point, so feel free to tell me to take a hike if I am infringing on any of your personal findings. I found some of the WGDC control diagram stuff, and I think that there are 2 tables on the timeout. Not sure if their shape, but one is for exceeding target and one is for not meeting target before timeout happens.

K_PLDSDAD_MN - under target timeout (or maybe K_PLDSD_MN)
K_PLDSDAD_MX - over target timeout (or maybe K_PLDSD_MX)

Still looking around to find mapping to memory addresses, but assume this is where the A2L files come into play.

Is there anywhere to find the MSD81/IJE0S DAMOS/A2L somewhere? I would love to have it to learn more.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Thanks for sharing this information. Building on mj6234's question, if you don't mind my asking, what kind of driving conditions was the PID timeout happening in? Obviously it would take longer to hit target at the start of WOT, but I also imagine that with a really large turbine, the amount of exhaust flow during normal driving around may not be enough to hit those smaller boost targets. I'm also considering a larger turbo (but I'm n55) and just trying to anticipate what some of the tuning hurdles will be.
It's usually only a problem when a car has a boost leak and never reaches target but on a single turbo car you can get it triggering at lower revs. It's not so much a problem once the tables are dialled in and have boost on target. I like to set the boost target up so that it's always attainable, no point setting the target to 30PSI at 3k rpm.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
@carabuser - I have been doing some research to see if I could identify the parameters you mentioned above. This is more about me learning than anything at this point, so feel free to tell me to take a hike if I am infringing on any of your personal findings. I found some of the WGDC control diagram stuff, and I think that there are 2 tables on the timeout. Not sure if their shape, but one is for exceeding target and one is for not meeting target before timeout happens.

K_PLDSDAD_MN - under target timeout (or maybe K_PLDSD_MN)
K_PLDSDAD_MX - over target timeout (or maybe K_PLDSD_MX)

Still looking around to find mapping to memory addresses, but assume this is where the A2L files come into play.

Is there anywhere to find the MSD81/IJE0S DAMOS/A2L somewhere? I would love to have it to learn more.
I have a lot of extra stuff defined but since I started tuning people's cars i'm more reluctant to share publicly as i'm just doing the hard work for other tuners. If you have a single turbo car and are having the issue then I can drop you a PM.

There isn't an IJE0S A2L but the IKM0S one is close enough. You can find the tables by getting the IKM0S location and looking for the same hex patterns in IJE0S. That works for 95% of tables and is less time consuming that decompiling each ROM.

Reactions: Sava666 and wheela

mj6234

Corporal
Nov 25, 2020
I have a lot of extra stuff defined but since I started tuning people's cars i'm more reluctant to share publicly as i'm just doing the hard work for other tuners. If you have a single turbo car and are having the issue then I can drop you a PM.

There isn't an IJE0S A2L but the IKM0S one is close enough. You can find the tables by getting the IKM0S location and looking for the same hex patterns in IJE0S. That works for 95% of tables and is less time consuming that decompiling each ROM.
Much respect. I definitely understand and appreciate the response. I just like to learn and better understand, and appreciate the offer.