My Bimmer Life Tuning Coil System Review

Kommodore

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Cactus Farm
I had originally posted this on Facebook. I've been asked to re-post it here on SpoolStreet to share with the larger community, my personal honest feedback on my purchase.

Since the original post I've added AKG 75D Poly Subframe bushings to the car, which have also made a huge difference. The combination of the effects of these new bushings along with the coil system is very satisfying. Pulling away aggressively from a dead stop is really very smooth (manual gearbox). It feels way better than an old school automatic in my opinion. Similar to how the ZF 8 speed feels in my M235i.

Edit: This is the "V2" version of this coil system, which includes a more refined micro-controller configuration for easy installation.

Anyway, here is a paste of my original review:

---
blcoil.png

Because I am local to Alex I was very excited to get my hands on the BL Ignition system upgrade. More specifically, I thought that anything that BMW Motorsport uses on their race cars should be worthwhile. The fact that these coils are incredibly robust, and battle hardened, the fact that you remove thermal load from the DME, and the fact that they're used as well on some of the greatest super cars on the road today were just bonuses really.
I really had a feeling for what I should expect as a result, but the sharpness, the responsiveness, the incredibly healthy power delivery were significant differences, a bit more than I thought they would be. The car should have come from the factory with these. The fit and finish, and effect, really demand that they do.
I dropped in a set of n20 plugs (couple steps colder, .03 gap.) and drove over to his place for install. It went in, in about 10 minutes or so, while dicking around and chatting. There were no splices. No re-pinning connectors. No spark plug wires. (My favorite part) It looks OEM. That was another important aspect of the system to me. Simply because if it fits perfectly and cleanly, then there's a better chance it was meant to be. :p
Leaving his sort of residential community after install there was a small issue. I would have to re-learn the power delivery as I was already sideways at a much lower throttle input than normal. (The other essential update for this platform is an LSD. ;) ) I know most people love the exhilaration of straight line performance, but driving dynamics such as a limited slip or a quick rack for me are more important for road-course type racing or canyon carving.
The responsiveness and sharpness: The reaction from throttle input to engine response is very much improved. The car loved to be torquey before but now It's more like a laser guided warhammer. You can really feel a more direct relationship between the amount of power you get based on pedal input, way more than before.
The power delivery: The manner in which the car pulls is very healthy. When you get a new car, or even when you just properly maintain one like mine, you come to expect how the engine is supposed to feel as new. You drive someone else's beater where they're unable to maintain it properly and it's just a miserable experience. This re-defines what a healthy motor SHOULD feel like. It's mountainous. Even more so than before.
I'm not going to talk about butt dynos because my name isn't Omar and I'm not into butt stuff. BUT, it was worth twice as much as the full price that I paid for the privilege of experiencing what I think is the most essential upgrade, probably to any engine, ever. One of my buddies is a die hard M fan. Like, fully built big six, N/A all the things, throttle response ITB's blah blah blah. He was shocked at how the car felt. And now he's looking for a 335 to buy.
There are I know a few people working on their big number cars who want to put down some truly impressive numbers with an upgraded kit, and I am not one of those 1000WHP or bust people. Normally I don't post anything, but this was a truly impressive piece of electrical engineering that I definitely had to share. Some of the specific details of that genius I will leave for Alex to show when he is ready. If you can get your hands on the Bimmerlife kit, it doesn't really matter if you want to do it for big numbers, or because you want parts with a Motorsports pedigree, or any number of reasons. You will not be disappointed in the slightest.

Last edited:

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Great review buddy! Excellent use of adjectives lol!
I'm glad to see options and I'm glad to see the result of both offerings.. Sometimes it's not about the numbers it's about the experience.
That's were I'm at with my car.. I want an excellent experience when driving not big numbers

Kommodore

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Cactus Farm
Since I got those subframe bushings I have no desire for another or new car. The way it drives is perfect. There are a lot of ways individuals can come to appreciate what they have. At the end of the day it's all one lego-ish platform. Some people know what they are doing and some don't which results in it being technically worse, but they both get the same satisfaction.

Great review buddy! Excellent use of adjectives lol!
I'm glad to see options and I'm glad to see the result of both offerings.. Sometimes it's not about the numbers it's about the experience.
That's were I'm at with my car.. I want an excellent experience when driving not big numbers

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Since I got those subframe bushings I have no desire for another or new car. The way it drives is perfect. There are a lot of ways individuals can come to appreciate what they have. At the end of the day it's all one lego-ish platform. Some people know what they are doing and some don't which results in it being technically worse, but they both get the same satisfaction.

Yea. I have lots of bushings links and braces all throughout my car.. I did rear subframe inserts and was very pleased when I did!! When I did my coils overs I went with a respected budget line and I'm very displeased.. Got a squeak I can't get rid of.. Really ruins the "experience" we talked about lol

Reactions: Kommodore

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
"I really had a feeling for what I should expect as a result, but the sharpness, the responsiveness, the incredibly healthy power delivery were significant differences, a bit more than I thought they would be. The car should have come from the factory with these. ...
The responsiveness and sharpness: The reaction from throttle input to engine response is very much improved. The car loved to be torquey before but now It's more like a laser guided warhammer. You can really feel a more direct relationship between the amount of power you get based on pedal input, way more than before.
The power delivery: The manner in which the car pulls is very healthy. When you get a new car, or even when you just properly maintain one like mine, you come to expect how the engine is supposed to feel as new. You drive someone else's beater where they're unable to maintain it properly and it's just a miserable experience. This re-defines what a healthy motor SHOULD feel like. It's mountainous. Even more so than before.
...BUT, it was worth twice as much as the full price that I paid for the privilege of experiencing what I think is the most essential upgrade, probably to any engine, ever. ...Normally I don't post anything, but this was a truly impressive piece of electrical engineering that I definitely had to share. Some of the specific details of that genius I will leave for Alex to show when he is ready. If you can get your hands on the Bimmerlife kit, it doesn't really matter if you want to do it for big numbers, or because you want parts with a Motorsports pedigree, or any number of reasons. You will not be disappointed in the slightest"

I just installed a set of BL coils and every thing you wrote here is 100% true. Makes Okada coils feel like Yugo...
This is the most ridiculously impressive upgrade I have put on my e93...more impressive than any of the FBO mods I have installed over the years. This is a no brainer. Unbelievable performance. Smooth, razor sharp, noticeable increase in response and torque. I am still in disbelief.

Reactions: Omar@VaderSolutions

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
I just installed a set of BL coils and every thing you wrote here is 100% true. Makes Okada coils feel like Yugo...

Good to know. I have a set on order for awhile now, just waiting for them to ship out still. Been over a week now, wonder how long it will take to get them?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

Good to know. I have a set on order for awhile now, just waiting for them to ship out still. Been over a week now, wonder how long it will take to get them?

Took me almost a month. Just installed two days ago. Be advised, they are very frail. Do not plug adapter into stock plugs until after you slip on the heat tubing onto the stock plugs...otherwise the BL plug interconnect plastic piece will be stuck in the stock receptacle and the BL plug will separate from its own plastic interconnect piece.

Ask me how I know this.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Sounds like a little dielectric grease is a good idea?

Filippo

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Took me almost a month. Just installed two days ago. Be advised, they are very frail. Do not plug adapter into stock plugs until after you slip on the heat tubing onto the stock plugs...otherwise the BL plug interconnect plastic piece will be stuck in the stock receptacle and the BL plug will separate from its own plastic interconnect piece.

Ask me how I know this.

That's what those extra black rubbery tubes are for? well screw me lmao

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5

Ask me how I know this.
I fell victim due to my ocd went to run wires different let's just say crazy glue is your friend I want to try to print my own connector as i feel a higher temp print would have better layer adhesion or try sell acrylic coating to get rid of the lines on 3d printed parts for painting and stuff but adds allot of strength

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I fell victim due to my ocd went to run wires different let's just say crazy glue is your friend I want to try to print my own connector as i feel a higher temp print would have better layer adhesion or try sell acrylic coating to get rid of the lines on 3d printed parts for painting and stuff but adds allot of strength

Can you treat ABS with the acetone bath to smooth them out?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Pros:
Throttle response massive improvement - instantaneous almost when pressing pedal.
Torque response - improved power and smoother response.
Power - smoother delivery and less stress sensation on motor...quieter at same speeds.
Fuel economy - substantially better than stock even with added power response.
Pretty straight forward install...did it without instructions. Only difference is the negative and postive leads. Otherwise, look at the shapes and use common sense to plug elements together.
Cons: The connectors are fairly frail and will delaminate from the base of each adapter if you make the mistake of test pluging in the stock receptacle all the way in...when you go to withdraw the BL adapter, there is a high chance that the front part of the BL plug will stay inside the stock coil receptacle. Therefore, do not test fit the BL plug adapters onto the stock receptacles UNLESS you install the heat shrink tube that goes over each stock receptacle first. After slipping on the heat shrink tubing, you may then proceed to assemble the BL adapter plug onto the stock receptacle. Then after assembling those two components, you must slide the heat shrink tubing over both the stock and BL component and procede to heat shrink the tube with a small torch flame.

Conclusions:
1. is this worth the price? YES absolutely.
2. is this better than okada coils? YES. I will be selling mine for $100 for the whole set.
3. is this better than Precision Raceworks coils? In terms of power characteristics, I do not know. I reckon they both do the same things albeit via different approaches.
4. Why didn't I use PR coils? - Because I did not want to cut or splice or compromise the stock look of my bay. And because I want the quickest way to change coils or plugs in the future.
5. Would I consider ever using PR Coils? Yes if money was not a factor, I would try both.

Cheers.

Reactions: V8bait