MHD, xHP and Backup Cam on iDrive CIC or CCC

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I'm still waiting for the Xcarlink to arrive. But I can confirm that the audio works great: iPhone 6+ --> Apple Lightning Digital AV --> Lightning cable for charging + HDMI cable --> HDMI/RCA converter --> RCA/3.5mm adapter --> AuxIn Audio

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I thought you meant to send the audio signal through the xcarlink. I don't know why their AV IN cables even include the audio wires.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Excellent. I'm going to give it a try for my '08 CCC iDrive with the appropriate Xcarlink. But instead of your Android TV box I'm going to try this Android 5.2 Quad Core stick which is much smaller:

Tops CX919 Quad Core TV Stick Google Android 5.1 2G/8GB Bluetooth 1080P with External WiFi Antenna XBMC DLNA
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHG57K0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EpUizbV1976K8

I also plan to mirror my iPhone screen into the second AV input on the Xcarlink (hopefully to get both Waze and MHD together on split screens). I have an iPhone 6+ mounted via the CD slot above the shifter for Waze, etc., I plan to connect it to an Apple Lightning Digital AV (HDMI) Adapter (poking out from the ashtray area, which is also connected to a Lightning cable for charging ) --> HDMI cable --> HDMI/RCA converter --> Xcarlink AV2 and audio back to AuxIn.

And finally add a backup camera too.
UPDATE:
The Tops CX919 Quad Core TV Stick Google Android 5.1 proved to be unreliable (flimsy) and slow. Boot times were more than a minute because it loaded a large media front app (it's a TV stick afterall). I then tried another very basic Android Mini PC and while it was much quicker in day 1, by day 2 it wasn't stable, crashed, and required multiple reboots. Still looking for a quick Android Mini PC.
@doublespaces How did yours work out?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
UPDATE:
The Tops CX919 Quad Core TV Stick Google Android 5.1 proved to be unreliable (flimsy) and slow. Boot times were more than a minute because it loaded a large media front app (it's a TV stick afterall). I then tried another very basic Android Mini PC and while it was much quicker in day 1, by day 2 it wasn't stable, crashed, and required multiple reboots. Still looking for a quick Android Mini PC.
@doublespaces How did yours work out?

Well mine is a box and its not very optimal regarding size, but it definitely works. Just takes up some awkward space in the glove box and does not fit behind the removable back wall. I had a longer response but I remembered I made a video. This is all automatic except for when it switches to the mecool logo, that is when I hold the menu button to switch to the xcarlink.

mtandre21

Lurker
Jun 22, 2017
Ride
2007 BMW 335xi
Man, this is a lot of very good information. Will definitely try once I get some money.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I'm having a lot of difficulty getting the iPhone to control the Android box using AirKeyboard. Anybody reading this have any advice?

Jsherry20

Sergeant
Dec 21, 2016
This blew me away.. bump for one hell of a diy, when I get more service I'll watch the video!

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Nice.
I got all the parts sitting in a box. I changed the Android box three times to find one that boots up quickly to MHD without a media interface. I'm still trying to figure out the iPhone interface with AirKeyboard...kind of got discouraged but will try again.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Building a touch pad into the trim behind the iDrive knob is something I've been considering. But I've also been waiting to see what the guys hacking the CIC come up with. They may be able to one day run MHD right inside the CIC.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
There's also a company in Australia that'll switch out the CCC or CIC display with a touchscreen and add Android directly for $900AUD. www.advancedice.com.au
I checked with them and it's still available. Too late for me as I already purchased the video interface.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
There's also a company in Australia that'll switch out the CCC or CIC display with a touchscreen and add Android directly for $900AUD. www.advancedice.com.au
I checked with them and it's still available. Too late for me as I already purchased the video interface.

I've heard about those. But I always hear that the radio is necessary for certain, seemingly unrelated features of the car(PDC beeps and other things). Also, the slanted glass really helps with the glare, not sure how I'd like a straight panel there.

greye61

Jul 30, 2017
Ride
E61
doublespaces, fantastic work! Thanks for the info! how are you getting MHD to auto start logging? are you using a 3rd party app like tasker?

For what its worth Ive been working on a similar project before I came across this thread . I'm near finished and will do a write up with pics soon. My install has a bunch of added functionality and features that I think you guys will love...

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
doublespaces, fantastic work! Thanks for the info! how are you getting MHD to auto start logging? are you using a 3rd party app like tasker?

For what its worth Ive been working on a similar project before I came across this thread . I'm near finished and will do a write up with pics soon. My install has a bunch of added functionality and features that I think you guys will love...

I look forward to seeing that, hope you post it up here!

And yes, I'm using Tasker with the auto input plugin (Both required the paid versions). Its not flawless, but it works after a bit of tinkering.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I've used Tasker to launch MHD too, but not launch the monitoring. Were you able to use Tasker to launch monitoring, if so how did you do that?