Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
can you do a preorder ?

there is no pre-order at this time. that may or may not change. But @Martial@MHD is the determining factor for that decision ultimately.

I just hope this does not require a dedicated Wi-Fi connection, such as the WiFi borescopes. Those setups are cumbersome. But more so for people looking to do Android integrations ....

Filippo
Won't need any kind of actual wifi connection, its just the medium for connection between adapter and device.

im pretty sure devices can only be connected to one Wifi signal at once. Has nothing to do with the App or OBD2 dongle, its just how wifi is beyond routers with multiple connections available.

But im not sure why this would be a problem in a Car environment. ive never needed a wifi internet connection while logging a car or flashing one. but maybe im missing what you're looking for.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
@jyamona does this mean N55 flex fuel is releasing soon as well? Seemed to be dependent on John's work hitting production.
This is not the device I developed because I could not get the price low enough to compete in this market and that was not encouraging to see through the potential of the hardware and the software I wanted to develop. The only way to make it work for me was to go upmarket and/or cross subsidise the firmware development in particular with sales of flashing packages and staged calibrations.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
But im not sure why this would be a problem in a Car environment. ive never needed a wifi internet connection while logging a car or flashing one. but maybe im missing what you're looking for.
Android tablet integration. There is one wifi antenna only in the Android tablet. I would have the tablet on Internet all the time via a Wifi network that goes to mobile hotspot in the car (i.e. my phone is a mobile hotspot). But if the tablet wifi connection has to be dropped and established uniquely with MHD, then the Android tablet cannot be on the wifi network of the mobile hotspot. Wifi hotspots are common use pattern for integrated tablets that then use a mobile phone wifi hotspot to be connected to the Internet (Google Maps, Spotify, etc).

We'll have to see what the specific setup is on the MHD unit. I suspect MHD broadcasts a specific WiFi SSID name that you find that on your phone/tablet and choose to connect to it - does this sound like how you did it for the video, @Twisted Tuning ?

Filippo

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
does this mean N55 flex fuel is releasing soon as well? Seemed to be dependent on John's work hitting production.

FlexFuel and feature parity for my other code changes (shift bog, PI safety etc), are being evaluated for F / G series by Martial and I.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Android tablet integration. There is one wifi antenna only in the Android tablet. I would have the tablet on Internet all the time via a Wifi network that goes to mobile hotspot in the car (i.e. my phone is a mobile hotspot). But if the tablet wifi connection has to be dropped and established uniquely with MHD, then the Android tablet cannot be on the wifi network of the mobile hotspot. Wifi hotspots are common use pattern for integrated tablets that then use a mobile phone wifi hotspot to be connected to the Internet (Google Maps, Spotify, etc).

We'll have to see what the specific setup is on the MHD unit. I suspect MHD broadcasts a specific WiFi SSID name that you find that on your phone/tablet and choose to connect to it - does this sound like how you did it for the video, @Twisted Tuning ?

Filippo

ok, i see what your saying now with that explanation. I never had this issue because i always use my phone. but my tablet also has its own service, so never needs wifi unless im somewhere with super shit. So yes, you connect to the dongle when you want to use it. Similar to wifi network.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
FlexFuel and feature parity for my other code changes (shift bog, PI safety etc), are being evaluated for F / G series by Martial and I.

So no flex fuel or PI safety for E-series N55 is planned at this time? That's super disappointing.

Reactions: KevinC39

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Android tablet integration. There is one wifi antenna only in the Android tablet.

Most newer Android devices are capable of internet sharing via Bluetooth if you want to keep the cords away. USB tethering has always been an option too.

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Dallas, TX but soon to be Cocoa Beach FL
Ride
2012 z4
I just hope this does not require a dedicated Wi-Fi connection, such as the WiFi borescopes. Those setups are cumbersome. But more so for people looking to do Android integrations ....

Filippo

I'm just wondering if I can reflash your car from the street back to a stock map - that would be too funny..... But yea, another IoT device. Can't get my damn Annova to work on wifi - this better be easier.....

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
ok, i see what your saying now with that explanation. I never had this issue because i always use my phone. but my tablet also has its own service, so never needs wifi unless im somewhere with super shit. So yes, you connect to the dongle when you want to use it. Similar to wifi network.

Thanks for that explanation. None of the Android tablets that integrate into the cars (i.e. iDrive replacements or retrofits for non-iDrive) include a cellular antenna.

jyamona said:
Most newer Android devices are capable of internet sharing via Bluetooth if you want to keep the cords away. USB tethering has always been an option too.
Thanks ... yep ... that might be the ticket.

Filippo

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I'm just wondering if I can reflash your car from the street back to a stock map - that would be too funny..... But yea, another IoT device. Can't get my damn Annova to work on wifi - this better be easier.....
My car spends most of its time up in the air, apart. Feel free to flash away - I'll even plug it in and give you a remote connection lol

Filippo

Reactions: oscare92

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars

ive already flashed my car from living room with it parked in my driveway as test.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Just release it already, prick teasing is just getting out of hand :)

Seriously this is just going to make my life easy and will be able to log 24/7 with a spare tablet in the glovebox with a permanent power source.

This is long overdue but very welcomed addition by all.

silverstreak18

Corporal
Jan 3, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Ride
2016 M3
Can you leave this plugged in at all times? I currently run a y-connector off my obd2 port to have my tablet always connected. I would want to do the same thing with this if possible.

chrisdfv

Corporal
Aug 29, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
Just release it already, prick teasing is just getting out of hand :)

Seriously this is just going to make my life easy and will be able to log 24/7 with a spare tablet in the glovebox with a permanent power source.

This is long overdue but very welcomed addition by all.

Wouldn't this drain your car battery? Currently if you leave the app open, it will continue to transmit data with the car off and you will come back to a battery light.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Wouldn't this drain your car battery? Currently if you leave the app open, it will continue to transmit data with the car off and you will come back to a battery light.

There is an app called tasker which automatically turns on and off the tablet and will open MHD(or whatever you want) once it is booted IIRC. If it does not do the auto on/off, I think it does with loss of charging or you can at least set it up that way, who cares? Let the battery die every time. It's not great to have a non functioning battery but a good USB charger can supply more than enough voltage and current.

Set the power source up to be only on with ignition like the cigarette lighter etc. No reason to hardwire so it is always on.

Then tablet will power on and automatically start up MHD with tasker when you start the car. You will have to click a button to log I believe as things stand now. Having it auto log every WOT pull would be bad ass.

Functionality I would pay for. MHD should just have an option to start in auto log mode vs. normal, that would fix this. Then this would be all automated in theory. You would also need to make sure the tablet did not have a password and will boot right up obviously. No custom kernals needed or any of that nonsense. 2 apps tasker and MHD. As logs are very small you should never really run out of space.

Last edited:
Reactions: TX_335is and NoGuru

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
There is an app called tasker which automatically turns on and off the tablet and will open MHD
I think it will do the latter but not the former? I believe one needs a built version of the kernel for the power management part, IIRC. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the basis for some of the custom in-car Android solutions. Timur is a good example, though dev on that halted a while back.

I've been looking at options on some of this for a while ... and of course E89 has a few challenges, but which now seem possible to overcome. I'm interested in dedicated broadband connection, and what I'd like to do is ultimately push all sensor data to the cloud - I'm sure to a bunch of you, I don't have to say much about why that's interesting. Transportation Logistics companies are doing some of this ... and there is some stuff in the wild to support it. But I haven't really seen anyone in the car enthusiast world playing with the possibilities. Obviously F1/24 hr/etc are doing some of this ... but I think we are quickly getting to feasibility for us little people :). Storage and bandwidth is affordable, etc.

Filippo

Reactions: aus335iguy