MHD Tuning Coolant target question

Lil'Biskit

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
2013 BMW 535i

Dinan Axle back exhaust, AFE cold air intake, VRSF Intercooler with upgraded charge pipe and recently did a MHD stage 2.
Still deciding on whether to do a high flow or catless DP.

Before tuning and doing some research it was recommended that the Coolant Target be set to sport, however whenever I do this the fan runs really loud every few minutes. Sounds like a jet is about to take off!!! When I revert back to stock it doesn't. Coolant temps are all in the normal range and battery has recently been replaced.

I don't tend to drive a lot, or long distances, so I'm curious as to whether running the coolant target on sport makes a huge difference, and whether stock is okay or does it defeat the object?

Any insight would be appreciated.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Hey I believe its highly recommended to install a catless or high flow cat downpipe before switching to stage 2. Also the argurement about sport coolant target goes both ways. It does put more wear on parts but does also keep the temps lower. I personally do have my coolant target set to sport.

Lil'Biskit

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
Hey I believe its highly recommended to install a catless or high flow cat downpipe before switching to stage 2. Also the argurement about sport coolant target goes both ways. It does put more wear on parts but does also keep the temps lower. I personally do have my coolant target set to sport.

Thank you for your reply. According to MHD Stage 2 is for cars equipped with an upgraded intercooler OR high-flow downpipe.. Stage 2+ is for intercooler AND upgraded downpipe. I only did the Stage 2.

I am curious at to why when we set the coolant target to sport, the engine fan goes crazy?

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Thank you for your reply. According to MHD Stage 2 is for cars equipped with an upgraded intercooler OR high-flow downpipe.. Stage 2+ is for intercooler AND upgraded downpipe. I only did the Stage 2.

I am curious at to why when we set the coolant target to sport, the engine fan goes crazy?
Your right about the tune, that's interesting.

The sport coolant target lowers the coolant temperature target, which makes the fan and water pump run in a more aggressive manner.

Lil'Biskit

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
The sport coolant target lowers the coolant temperature target, which makes the fan and water pump run in a more aggressive manner.

But all the time?!?! It comes on every 2 minutes or so and LOUD! I can't see that being normal.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Different approach. Why do you want to change your coolant target?

Lil'Biskit

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
Different approach. Why do you want to change your coolant target?

Very good question, and I ask it myself. When I researched the MHD Tune for my car most recommended setting the coolant target to sport. As I said in my original post, I don't do a lot of driving - especially not a lot of aggressive driving - so I am wondering myself whether having the coolant target set to sport is of any benefit? Am I negating all the benefits of cold air intake and larger intercooler by not setting it to sport?

I have been REALLY enjoying the extra power I've been getting, but having the car sound like it's about to take-off is disturbing to say the least and I'm wondering if maybe something else is going on, like a water pump failure?!?!

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
The coolant targets are more for specific applications in racing.
Some ricer guys will probably use it also during normal street driving although they really donĀ“t need it and there is no power gain.
In your case .. leave it stock except you have overheating issues due to hot weather and lots of highway traffic jams or similar stuff where the car might heatsoak.

Me personally i never needed a different coolant target during "normal"/spirited driving with pulls here and there.

Lil'Biskit

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
Thank you so much! I appreciate your responses.....

Today we set the coolant target back to stock and the fan still came on a few times despite the outside temperature being below 70 degrees. Not as much and loud as on sport, but still more than is normal. I have to think there is something else going on. I have it booked in on Monday so we'll see what happens. Thanks again!

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Thank you so much! I appreciate your responses.....

Today we set the coolant target back to stock and the fan still came on a few times despite the outside temperature being below 70 degrees. Not as much and loud as on sport, but still more than is normal. I have to think there is something else going on. I have it booked in on Monday so we'll see what happens. Thanks again!
Mine did that for a week or two before the water pump failed. I wonder if they'll be able to tell if it's on its way out?

Reactions: Lil'Biskit

Lil'Biskit

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
Mine did that for a week or two before the water pump failed. I wonder if they'll be able to tell if it's on its way out?

It hasn't thrown any codes yet, but I'm suspecting water pump. Mine is 10yrs old and I know that the electronic water pump on the N55 is problematic.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
It hasn't thrown any codes yet, but I'm suspecting water pump. Mine is 10yrs old and I know that the electronic water pump on the N55 is problematic.
I think 10 years is a pretty good run for that pump, mine made it about 6 years, almost 60k milesšŸ˜ I also had no codes until my dash went crazy, I started loosing power and had to pull over and shut off the car to let it cool off. I had to do that every few miles the rest of the way home, and then had it towed to the stealership.

Lil'Biskit

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
I think 10 years is a pretty good run for that pump, mine made it about 6 years, almost 60k milesšŸ˜ I also had no codes until my dash went crazy, I started loosing power and had to pull over and shut off the car to let it cool off. I had to do that every few miles the rest of the way home, and then had it towed to the stealership.

I only have around 28k miles - Told ya I didn't drive much!! :grinning:

Reactions: wheela

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
You know, in hind site, I don't know if my fan was running more because the pump was on it's way out, or because it was very hot outside the weeks prior to it failing. When picking up my son after work, my mother in law started commenting that my fan seemed much louder pulling into the driveway during the week just before my pump failing. It's the only time anybody ever commented on my fan running loudly, so I kind of linked them in my head, but it could have just been a coincidence. I've heard they fail abruptly without warning, but have also read about people noticing their fan working over-time before the water pump failed, which doesn't fit a pump failing abruptly without warning. Perhaps it was just the pump and fan working overtime because it was hot out that was the final straw causing my pump to fail vs. a symptom of a pump about to fail.

Lil'Biskit

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
You know, in hind site, I don't know if my fan was running more because the pump was on it's way out, or because it was very hot outside the weeks prior to it failing. When picking up my son after work, my mother in law started commenting that my fan seemed much louder pulling into the driveway during the week just before my pump failing. It's the only time anybody ever commented on my fan running loudly, so I kind of linked them in my head, but it could have just been a coincidence. I've heard they fail abruptly without warning, but have also read about people noticing their fan working over-time before the water pump failed, which doesn't fit a pump failing abruptly without warning. Perhaps it was just the pump and fan working overtime because it was hot out that was the final straw causing my pump to fail vs. a symptom of a pump about to fail.

I have experienced the same thing! It's been warm this summer and I noticed that the fan was running a little more than normal but I attributed that to the 90+ degree days we've been having. Now I'm wondering if it was the water pump failing, and when we installed the intercooler and tuned the car it was just too much. My husband and I have decided that we're going to replace it and the thermostat regardless. I have an appointment with our BMW shop on Monday and we'll see what they say but I'm pretty sure all indications are water pump. It will SUCK if it's not.......... :sob:

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
@wheela is right about the fan running more aggressively before the water pump dies. On my moms F10 535i i noticed the fan ran for longer, before the water pump randomly died one night.

Edit: when it dies you wont notice until the coolant overheating sign comes on and the car goes into limp mode.

Lil'Biskit

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
Just thought I'd let everyone know that my car went in yesterday and it was the water pump. Had it replaced and she's running like a dream again. Thanks for all the input. :)