Methanol Diagnosis Help

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
having a issue with my meth system.im running a bms with fsb with dual nozzles,nothing crazy.started getting low flow on logs.thought it was the seals.changed the head,still same thing,I had a spare pump and still getting low flow.i was using 7/5 for priming to check psi.i have a gauge installed on the out of the meth pump.is reading 20psi only.Anyone with a bms kit or with some knowledge on if I can check anything else to make sure it's not something else.or does the priming the pump doesn't give full flow.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
having a issue with my meth system.im running a bms with fsb with dual nozzles,nothing crazy.started getting low flow on logs.thought it was the seals.changed the head,still same thing,I had a spare pump and still getting low flow.i was using 7/5 for priming to check psi.i have a gauge installed on the out of the meth pump.is reading 20psi only.Anyone with a bms kit or with some knowledge on if I can check anything else to make sure it's not something else.or does the priming the pump doesn't give full flow.

I would tag @Terry@BMS for that answer

To then best of my knowledge it's on/off no matter what.. If it's doing it with both pumps I would Check for a clog before the pump like in the tank and the line to the tank.. And or a leak in the same area I jest stated.
Meth leaks and low flow are something I've unfortunately spent too much time doing lol

Hope this helps

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
I would tag @Terry@BMS for that answer

To then best of my knowledge it's on/off no matter what.. If it's doing it with both pumps I would Check for a clog before the pump like in the tank and the line to the tank.. And or a leak in the same area I jest stated.
Meth leaks and low flow are something I've unfortunately spent too much time doing lol

Hope this helps
I have replaced whole line.have checked and cleaned nozzles,no air in one.its just weird 2 pumps would show low flow under load.i have spoken to Terry after this thread I made and he has said the 7/5 is for purging air only.i would need to be under load/running car through injectors to see what's happening.i have done that and still low flow,I even changed the solenoid.i can assume at this point it's the pump but just making sure it's not a fsb issue or something I missed.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I have replaced whole line.have checked and cleaned nozzles,no air in one.its just weird 2 pumps would show low flow under load.i have spoken to Terry after this thread I made and he has said the 7/5 is for purging air only.i would need to be under load/running car through injectors to see what's happening.i have done that and still low flow,I even changed the solenoid.i can assume at this point it's the pump but just making sure it's not a fsb issue or something I missed.

If that's the case I would just keep running meth through via the 7/5 option over and over and over like flow and fill the tank 5 times..
From there go out and run her a couple times and see if flow starts coming up.. With all the stuff you have swapped and changed around you could be air bound. I've had it take about 3 pulls or so to be completely air free!
Air and leaks are your worst enemy. Not uncommon but rarely do you have a component fail. What I mean buy that is if I had to vet what wrong with in unseen meth problem I'd bet on air or leak before pump failure

Notmpwr

Private
Jul 5, 2017
Ride
535i
Can you check pump voltage when it's on? The fsb measures amp draw from the pump to determine load. If there's a wiring issue, power or ground it will show low flow.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
Can you check pump voltage when it's on? The fsb measures amp draw from the pump to determine load. If there's a wiring issue, power or ground it will show low flow.

Yes I was getting 12.75 volts when driving under load.im using 14 gauge wire from trunk to engine bay.i did run a 12 gauge wire for future use.would a 12 gauge wire be too big for methanol pump if I used that?

Notmpwr

Private
Jul 5, 2017
Ride
535i
Yes I was getting 12.75 volts when driving under load.im using 14 gauge wire from trunk to engine bay.i did run a 12 gauge wire for future use.would a 12 gauge wire be too big for methanol pump if I used that?

No sir, 12 is perfectly fine. There's not much disadvantage to running a larger gauge wire, but a smaller one won't carry the amps. Also make sure the ground is also 12ga.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
No sir, 12 is perfectly fine. There's not much disadvantage to running a larger gauge wire, but a smaller one won't carry the amps. Also make sure the ground is also 12ga.

Ok will try that when I get home today.yes I did use a 12 gauge ground to chassis.mabe the original wire(14ga red wire)is gong bad,I don't know.i hate it when everything is running great but then all of a sudden it's a mind f#%k lol.part of me is saying dump the meth and go port injection but have other prioritys to do first before port injection.

Notmpwr

Private
Jul 5, 2017
Ride
535i
Ok will try that when I get home today.yes I did use a 12 gauge ground to chassis.mabe the original wire(14ga red wire)is gong bad,I don't know.i hate it when everything is running great but then all of a sudden it's a mind f#%k lol.part of me is saying dump the meth and go port injection but have other prioritys to do first before port injection.

Are you using meth for a fuel substitute or for knock reduction?

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
Are you using meth for a fuel substitute or for knock reduction?
Using it as fuel substitute for now.i know it's not recommended but saving funds till I can get a better fuel setup.i am running fuel it stage 2 lpfp,my hpfp is little over yr old and running a ethanol mix of anywhere between e35-e50 mix so I don't put much stress on hpfp till I get it set correctly.i also got rid of my stock twins and now running a VM single turbo 6062 twin scroll.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Not familiar with the BMS system details or JB4 random #s mean another # logs but I would re prime Boosty. To be clear, you said you noticed low flow in logs, I assumed it was via IAT's as my previous system had a flow sensor guage in cabin. If there is a parameter you're using to determine the low flow I would cross reference "normal" IAT performance with flow parameter to isolate the issue. Either with the sensor or actual flow.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
Not familiar with the BMS system details or JB4 random #s mean another # logs but I would re prime Boosty. To be clear, you said you noticed low flow in logs, I assumed it was via IAT's as my previous system had a flow sensor guage in cabin. If there is a parameter you're using to determine the low flow I would cross reference "normal" IAT performance with flow parameter to isolate the issue. Either with the sensor or actual flow.
I'm running jb4 with bef at this time.in interface can see my meth line at 25-30,while I'm logging I would get meth flashing on dash and would kick me to map 2.its a safety if it's not seeing certain flow it automatically kicks to a safer map.its sensing it quick enough to where I can't notice my iat dropping due to meth safety of jb4.
I'm gunna try to log later today depending on weather,if it doesn't ran then will see.purging air was never a issue.usually about 10 seconds or so is enough.but I'll see again and will purge more.

Reactions: R.G.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
What was the end result in this?

I really feel like it was air bound.. I had a time when I removed my tank that it took days to purge Completely

AK135i

Corporal
Dec 13, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Ride
2010 135i
When I had problems with my meth flow it was air related, but it did take abount 3 full tanks of fluid to purge it, hopefully a new pump does the trick. Which pump did you end of going?

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
Been really busy with family and work,haven't had time.Installed pump the other day and is purged and ready,should be able to test tonight.i went with coolingmist 1.3 gpm.was 120.00 from bms.i did look into ProMeth pump but at a 170.00 price tag.did speak with few people and they all say a coolingmist pump is good enough so...will see. It's just frustrating,I just installed my VM Single Turbo kit and was running a cm10/cm05 setup for about a week,so decided to swap out the cm05 with a cm07 and that's when I started to have low flow issues.i even tried just a cm10 nozzle,same thing.technically the pump is about5/6yrs old and in winter the car is garaged till spring so,am told the meth sitting could cause issue,hope that's it.i did everything else lol.