Major timing corrections, super knock & misfires

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
It can be clean because its only leaking at high rpm where it gets sucked straight into the engine because the air speed is high.

My intake, charge pipe and ic had no oil but was getting major corrections until I increased the vacuum in the crankcase and then it stopped.

Msport335

Corporal
Jun 7, 2018
How did you increase the vacuum.. by replacing valve cover and gasket ? What if it's cold side turbo seals ? Any signs to either of those being the culprit?

Msport335

Corporal
Jun 7, 2018
If this was a crank case vacuum issue, how could it just appear when prior to this everything ran fine with minimal correction on the same tunes? Only thing I can think of is valve cover degrading over time. How can I determine if its cracked since its not clearly visible ?

Msport335

Corporal
Jun 7, 2018
Update... leak down test was completed today and motor seems perfectly healthy. Literally zero leak on all cylinders.

Msport335

Corporal
Jun 7, 2018
So this now brings me back to the trans and tq converter...can't think of it being anything else at this point. I have found an extremely low km 6at trans from a 2011 e93 with n55. Realoem lists it as the same trans part # as my 2009 335i n54. Now just debating on whether or not to bite the bullet and swap out the trans....
If I do, what happens with my current xhp tune and license since the new/used trans would have an unflashed tcm?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I believe it's vin locked via cas and not trans tcu so you should be able to flash the new one no issue.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
So this now brings me back to the trans and tq converter...can't think of it being anything else at this point. I have found an extremely low km 6at trans from a 2011 e93 with n55. Realoem lists it as the same trans part # as my 2009 335i n54. Now just debating on whether or not to bite the bullet and swap out the trans....
If I do, what happens with my current xhp tune and license since the new/used trans would have an unflashed tcm?
I think Clemens said something about uninstalling, to be able to reinstall.
I would email him to be sure.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I don't think the gearbox is your problem, you would feel it if it was.

I believe you have oil getting into you intake system or past the rings somehow.

Before you start swapping out gearboxes and such expensive hardware, try and increase the vacuum in the crankcase first which will help with ring seal and oil scavenging from turbo/s.

Reactions: Mzfhartge

Msport335

Corporal
Jun 7, 2018
I don't think the gearbox is your problem, you would feel it if it was.

I believe you have oil getting into you intake system or past the rings somehow.

Before you start swapping out gearboxes and such expensive hardware, try and increase the vacuum in the crankcase first which will help with ring seal and oil scavenging from turbo/s.
Would the oil cap breather help ? I already have BMS Catchcan setup for years and its never given me issues

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
no, i think your problem is oil getting into your combustion cycle as even the smallest amounts of oil will greatly reduce your octane severely.

I've seen it many times on older motors or older turbos starting to seep oil.

They don't last forever.

Increase the vacuum in the crankcase and see if that helps before starting expensive swaps.

Msport335

Corporal
Jun 7, 2018
no, i think your problem is oil getting into your combustion cycle as even the smallest amounts of oil will greatly reduce your octane severely.

I've seen it many times on older motors or older turbos starting to seep oil.

They don't last forever.

Increase the vacuum in the crankcase and see if that helps before starting expensive swaps.
Should I try VTA with the return line from my BMS can vs. Routing it back to the rear turbo inlet which is the way its currently installed?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
That's what your catch can is for you can just disconnect the hose and let it vent, it won't do anuthing.

As motors get older the more oil gets into the intake, the best way is to increase vacuum in the crankcase to help.

This might not be your problem but it's the cheapest to try and the most beneficial even if it's not but will rule out a lot of ifs or maybes.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Put something together yourself.

The cheapest way is just change the oem flapper to a sealed flapper or check valve with a tee piece so you can put a vacuum gauge on it and a relief valve on the head and adjust it accordingly.

You will also need to externalise the pcv valve to stop oil getting into the intake ports through the head ports.

There is a whole write on it here somewhere