M-Drive and MDM in non M cars

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Just found the time to look at this properly
So what’s required for this?
Hardware and Software wise ?
MDCT bin, M3 GWS, Kombi that's shows it, maybe IKM0S, CAN shield. Probably M3 DSC if you want DSC control in there, but there is no DSC off in the options, so CAN fake button or physical button.

Basically just no sport button, disabled wheel button and relying on sketch to trigger and send settings.

Nice work!

I don't think exchanging values will happen with the CIC, I can't see any reference of the CONFIG_MDRV in the DME. I'm sure it could be added but the work and testing involved would outweigh the benefit.

What coding is needed to get the MDrive steering wheel button talking to the DME like that? I originally thought I would just change the logic in the DME to use the sport switch instead of the MDrive button but they are about £40 on ebay so easier to add the button.
That's what I figured. I'd prefer not using CAN too. It's good for testing and playing, but mine isn't installed in any permanent fashion. I'd have no problem flashing the hack IKM0S to test if/when there's some agreement on its correctness.

1M DSC or M3 DSC + M drive SZL is probably all you need. Maybe other DSCs can be hacked to add, but by all accounts, the button should work on any rom if the signal is present to DME. It might be different on Z4, but removing the sport button is taking away the one thing we know sets the sport mode in trans.

I haven't confirmed if it sets anything in trans for sport/sport+ yet, but if so, I think the 2 things that would need to be added to the DME message are the low bits and the trans status.

Anyone have a layout of 0x1A2? I think that might be the definitive message to verify trans mode.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I spose thats what im getting at.
Sharper throttle, Sharper shifting and less DSC intervention is 95% of what ive been looking for with the exception of being able to tailor how sharp the throttle and shifting is and how relaxed the DSC is ... those options are only a flash away. Being able to dial them in via CIC would be iceing on the cake...
So now the servotronic retrofit guys will ask the next question ......:)
Anything related to DME isn't going to update from CIC without some substantial work. DSC, steering rack, DCT, etc. may from CIC changes if they're flashed as M3 and that message is there, but that would either need a sketch to monitor/intercept CIC changes and rebuild message with new settings or get them working off the factory messaging.

MSD81+sport button puts trans in sport, sets rng l and adds factors for torque in DME, all in one press. That's all separated out in M and maybe Z4 to some extent, but still in a way that works on MSD81 obviously.

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
2012 135, 2005 ZHP, 2009 fJCW
I think the only way to fully enable M Drive without an MSS60 is to use a separate CAN device to generate 0x399. This could easily be made to accept the values from CIC(0x3CA) and emulate M Drive. The ideal would be to use the sport button, not the steering wheel button. This way the Sport Button will still trigger the MSD81 into sport mode, the CAN device will pick up the sport mode button press in 0x198 and then send the enable in 0x399.

In theory what you need is:

• CAN device to turn sport button press into "M Drive on" in 0x399
  • MDSC flash
  • MDKG flash (this would need to be custom to keep the non-M GWS/sport button)
  • JBBF flash/coding (for Servotronic)
Steering wheel can stay the same, SZL can stay the same, KOMBI can stay the same, MSD81 can stay the same.

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
2012 135, 2005 ZHP, 2009 fJCW
That said, if the MSD81 can produce both "on" signals in 0x399 using the sport button press, or M button, then it could certainly be used as a on/off solution if you don't care about the CIC configuration options.

To use a standard MDKG flash you'd need the M GWS which gets rid of the sport button, so you'd also need the M steering wheel buttons and SZL.

Reactions: RSL

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I can make the MSD81 sent the correct ON signal in 0x399 and also make it triggered from the sport button but that doesn't really give us much. We can already tell the TCU to go into a certain drivelogic mode when in sport, all it would give us over normal sport is the MDynamic DSC mode which would be nice.

Do we know if the normal 335i DSC flash works with MDRIVE or do we have to flash it with the M3 version and does that have any knock-on effects elsewhere? I have toyed with the idea of using the M3 DSC flash but remember reading the thread about it and thinking it would cause issues.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
May be a dumb question and i overread something.

Can i have MDM without M-Drive? I am just looking for the M3 DSC experience.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Do we know if the normal 335i DSC flash works with MDRIVE
Superwofy tried and was unsuccessful hence the arduino but he(like me) has active cruise in his so it might be different.
or do we have to flash it with the M3 version and does that have any knock-on effects elsewhere? I have toyed with the idea of using the M3 DSC flash but remember reading the thread about it and thinking it would cause issues.
What issues do you think M3 flash would cause ?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
May be a dumb question and i overread something.

Can i have MDM without M-Drive? I am just looking for the M3 DSC experience.
Technically the arduino on canbus can trigger it. The M3 DSC button goes direct to the DSC and can’t activate MDM. It could be tied to an arduino in a 335 on theory and give on/off/mdm

Reactions: JohnDaviz

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
That said, if the MSD81 can produce both "on" signals in 0x399 using the sport button press, or M button, then it could certainly be used as a on/off solution if you don't care about the CIC configuration options.
This sounds ok and a flash of the DME and you can change what level it triggers
which isn’t too bad
To use a standard MDKG flash you'd need the M GWS which gets rid of the sport button, so you'd also need the M steering wheel buttons and SZL.
Standard MDKG flash yes you need MGWS but you also need final drive

A DCT flash exploit would mean MDKG and no other physical changes 😉

If we can make the sport button trigger the DTC in standard car with that hacked DCT we have MDRiVe effectively...

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Question... what’s does the standard SZL and DSC send on m button press without MDSC ?
It must send something as it’s triggering superwofys sketch ??

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I've been holding off flashing the 0x399 hack carabuser did for IKM0S, but I'm very curious to try it. It's the easy/no CAN gear route. I haven't seen 0x3CA in logs, but I also haven't tried changing in CIC while logging yet.

Sport button is the easy route too. I may still try with M3 GWS just for the fun of it. I think the issue I had last weekend with the M3 GWS not working on non-M bin was because of the coding.

I'm 90% sure wheel button doesn't work on normal non-M DSC. CAN or DSC are probably only options.

Question... what’s does the standard SZL and DSC send on m button press without MDSC ?
It must send something as it’s triggering superwofys sketch ??
Media source select on button and I don't think DSC even pays attention to anything from it.

When I don't code Kombi (IIRC) it flips radio/USB and sets M Drive lol

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I've been holding off flashing the 0x399 hack carabuser did for IKM0S, but I'm very curious to try it. It's the easy/no CAN gear route. I haven't seen 0x3CA in logs, but I also haven't tried changing in CIC while logging yet.

Sport button is the easy route too. I may still try with M3 GWS just for the fun of it. I think the issue I had last weekend with the M3 GWS not working on non-M bin was because of the coding.

I'm 90% sure wheel button doesn't work on normal non-M DSC. CAN or DSC are probably only options.

Media source select on button and I don't think DSC even pays attention to anything from it.

When I don't code Kombi (IIRC) it flips radio/USB and sets M Drive lol
Funny when you code CIC the media select stops working. I don’t get why the KOMBI coding affects it at all

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
do we know, which CAN ID and byte-bit represent this?
I don't know there's just one "sport button" in MSD81 or what truly sets it in M3 still, but 0x1A2 will tell when the sport switch is active in trans. That's why I was asking for the layout the other day. So far, I've only seen change I think B6 between D and M (sequential) on M3 GWS/bin. B0-B3 are always 0 and B4 and B7 seem like counters/checks and B5 always same value.

ST_GRB_SW sets STATE_ETCU_SPT_SWI. 0x1D2 sets LV_ETCU_SPT_SWI (rng l from Kombi), when trans tells Kombi it's in sport and is never ever set on M3 bin.

trans_CAN_data.png

Funny when you code CIC the media select stops working. I don’t get why the KOMBI coding affects it at all
I don't remember what CIC was set as, but the little bar across the top would change, not the screen. It happened before months ago too playing with coding.

Last edited:

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
That's why it looked like 2 counters, DLC 8, but it's picking up 9 bytes for some reason, must be grabbing B0 of the next.

1A2.png

Olza

Corporal
Feb 2, 2020
Minsk, Belarus
Ride
BMW M240 xdrive
sport button - CAN 0x198 B5 bits 2-3 (DCT reads this)
drivelogic button - CAN 0x198 B5 bits 4-5 (2: minus 1: plus)

Reactions: RSL

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
0x198 sounds familiar now that you mention it. I think I was messing with that before I got the SZL.

Just additional info, no SZL (disabled in rom), no shield, M3 GWS to manual (sequential, ETCU 2), activates RNG_L and B_sport directly, but I'm not quite sure through which ID. Need to do more specific tests for a few other things.

Screenshot_20210129-092016_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Reading that, do i understand that correctly to mean that someone with an M3 GWS and TCU and an MSD81 switches to manual mode the DME goes into sport ?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Reading that, do i understand that correctly to mean that someone with an M3 GWS and TCU and an MSD81 switches to manual mode the DME goes into sport ?
Yes, at least mine does. At constant speed and pedal position, I could feel a diff just moving the shifter back and forth between D and M with DL set at 2 in both. SZL = off in the rom, so something in the GWS/trans is still able to toggle low range in MSD81 for manual mode on shifter.

No idea if it works the same way with sport button/stock GWS, but you can try/log. Non-M uses the sport signal to Kombi to set it, but maybe there is more than one trigger/path.

Reactions: aus335iguy