• Total voters

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
tsoCMql.png

I thought this would be a good thread as I don't think I've seen them all talked about at the same time. There are various different LSD types from helical/torsen, viscous and mechanical. Which one is the best and why? What do you run?

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
We have ran them all except OS-Giken, you left one out though. The factory BMW Motorosports LSD are gear types (like MFactory Wavetrac, Quaife), and honestly as good or better than all of the above. For gear types, wavetrac, and M-factory are the two best options. Nothing but issues with the Quaifes we had. As sole clutch type in the group, OS Giken. If you have a track car they are great, honestly the best. You just need to do research, they basically admit they are not for elevated power levels. Even at 500+WHP you stand a good chance of breaking it. A lot of opinions abound, we have ran basically everything. The list to us is this. Best to worst

1. Factory BMW motorsport diff found in M3, M5, etc
2. M-Factory (we have found no difference over wavetrac, price makes them higher on our list.
3. Wavetrac
4. OS-Giken ( not viable much over 500WHP)
5. Quaife

Last edited:

TurboMike

Corporal
Nov 22, 2016
PA
I can't compare between the brands because I haven't experienced anything other than wavetrac in my car. However I can say where others are saying they are spinning tires and can't hook, I am not while a 100 more whp more than these people. Maybe it's can be contributed to suspension setup aswell but I have nothing but good things so far after about 6-8k miles with the wavetrac.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So why do all these people seem to go with mfactory over wavetrac lately?

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Any LSD is going to increase traction, you have power going to both drive tires instead of one. Wavetrac is not going to do that better than other other. Thats just basic limited slip 101

Reactions: 135boost

TurboMike

Corporal
Nov 22, 2016
PA
Any LSD is going to increase traction, you have power going to both drive tires instead of one. Wavetrac is not going to do that better than other other. Thats just basic limited slip 101
Absolutely True, really was just trying to incorporate some first hand feedback on the product. As I said I haven't tried anything else. I've been very pleased with the product and have heard very negative things on the quaife from a pretty popular shop outside of Philly without naming names. Then your ranking of the product only supports that.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Huh? I thought it was pretty clear in my post. We found no differences between wavetrac, and Mfactory. Mfactory costs less, that would make it a clear choice between them two
Ok I gotcha now. Do you think their wave technology is a gimmick, even on a road course?

DirtKurt

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
NH
We have ran them all except OS-Giken, you left one out though. The factory BMW Motorosports LSD are gear types (like MFactory Wavetrac, Quaife), and honestly as good or better than all of the above. For gear types, wavetrac, and M-factory are the two best options. Nothing but issues with the Quaifes we had. As sole clutch type in the group, OS Giken. If you have a track car they are great, honestly the best. You just need to do research, they basically admit they are not for elevated power levels. Even at 500+WHP you stand a good chance of breaking it. A lot of opinions abound, we have ran basically everything. The list to us is this. Best to worst

1. Factory BMW motorsport diff found in M3, M5, etc
2. M-Factory (we have found no difference over wavetrac, price makes them higher on our list.
3. Wavetrac
4. OS-Giken ( not viable much over 500WHP)
5. Quaife

The oem m3-4-5 diffs are not a gear type like the wave trac or m factory.
They are also not that great, tend to wear out quickly with high power.