Lifetime fuel filter

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So this whole thread on the HPFP filter has been an education for me. I'm an old school BMW guy. No HPFP, and the usual 8" long silver log filter under the car. If I recall BMW specs a 30k maintenance interval (which is over the top - I don't know anyone that does that), and it is a PITA to get to and such.

But that said ... the new cars have an in-tank filter that replaces the old silver log fuel filter that was in-line under the floor pan. On the sedan/coupes the fuel tank is easy access below the passenger seat with an access plate (much like prior cars - E46, E39, etc). The Z4 (E89 and prior) is not so much: drop exhaust and heat shield, drain the tank, and the access screw cap is side-mounted by the diff input flange. Also different, the Z4 only has one screw cap - what you pull out is the fuel filter/regulator assembly, which is then connected to the fuel pump which hangs inside the tank.

So the bizarre part ... there is no service interval I can find from BMW for the in-tank fuel filter that replaces the old silver log fuel filter. They say it is "lifetime" and, in fact, in RealOEM the fuel filter is now a "repair kit"!

So maybe someone here knows the answer to this: can that filter (any filter for that matter) be lifetime?! I find that hard to believe. What magic happened for this to work?

So while we are doing my LPFP on the Z4, I spent $120 and bought a in-tank filter "repair kit". While I only have 30k miles, I figure 7 years and I'm in there, might as well drop a new fuel filter in as it is a PITA to get to.

Thanks,

Filippo

Jparnes1

Apr 5, 2018
Ride
2012 Z4 35i M Sport
Yeah it’s like you said, no service interval. It’s all about preventive maintenance or reactive repair. I take this car on long trips in mountainous areas and don’t want to have Cletus working on my car. I changed out the fuel filter on my 5er at 60k and I’ve got about that on my Z. I think I’m going to do some proactive cooling system stuff (pump and tstat first, then rad, expansion tank).

Reactions: fmorelli

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So maybe someone here knows the answer to this: can that filter (any filter for that matter) be lifetime?! I find that hard to believe. What magic happened for this to work?

All vital components are lifetime service intervals, once they fail the life of the vehicle is officially ended.

• Funny
Reactions: bradsm87

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
I replaced my original in-tank FPR / filter at 8 years / 98k while troubleshooting fuel pressure issues (ended up being the F-I stage 2 lpfp "venturi" fitting)

I did notice pressure improvement with the new fpr/filter. Another old school bmw mechanic (e30/e36s) I talked to recommended 8 years or 80k miles whichever comes first.

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

Maximum96

Private
Jul 21, 2017
Yeah it’s like you said, no service interval. It’s all about preventive maintenance or reactive repair. I take this car on long trips in mountainous areas and don’t want to have Cletus working on my car. I changed out the fuel filter on my 5er at 60k and I’ve got about that on my Z. I think I’m going to do some proactive cooling system stuff (pump and tstat first, then rad, expansion tank).
I have about 70k miles on my 2008 5er, did you see and improvement in driveability or psi?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Won't really know since the whole fuel system is getting overhauled. I changed mine because, on the Z4, you have to get to the LPFP from under the car, so the exhaust and heat shields come down - for all that work, might as well replace the filter while I'm there.

Filippo