Keyed hub

torbearfree

Private
Jan 2, 2020
Does anyone else make a keyed hub for less that $1.2k?

My motor siezed while troubleshooting no start. I took off the cam sprockets and I was able to turn the crank by hand. I figure if I have the engine out again I might as well try to future proof it. Stock power.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Does anyone else make a keyed hub for less that $1.2k?

My motor siezed while troubleshooting no start. I took off the cam sprockets and I was able to turn the crank by hand. I figure if I have the engine out again I might as well try to future proof it. Stock power.

see what Billiam will sell you the hub for.

alternatively stock crank hub + 10 degrees overtorque on the bolt. lasted 34.5k miles on my last built motor lol

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
see what Billiam will sell you the hub for.

alternatively stock crank hub + 10 degrees overtorque on the bolt. lasted 34.5k miles on my last built motor lol
Was it the power that made it let go ?
I have read of failures at low power levels (sub 450whp), and some are running 750whp and still no issues.
I have read that its mainly due to quick torque + or - that causes this.
For example, doing a burnout on sticky tires, then when it hooks, it spins the hub because of the "jolt" from high rpm burnout to tires locking dropping rpms too quick.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Was it the power that made it let go ?
I have read of failures at low power levels (sub 450whp), and some are running 750whp and still no issues.
I have read that its mainly due to quick torque + or - that causes this.
For example, doing a burnout on sticky tires, then when it hooks, it spins the hub because of the "jolt" from high rpm burnout to tires locking dropping rpms too quick.

Yes it is caused by rapid rpm oscillations, or if the motor is forced to suddenly accelerate by mechanical means like a money shift (not free revving with gas pedal that's totally fine).

Mine let go because I was being dumb with a wotbox lol stock turbos on 93 so ~400 whp

• Funny
Reactions: SlowE93