Jesse Burrell's EFR 9180 E93 does 768whp / 648wtq

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi
Insane, 9 degrees on cyl 4 would def worry me....unless it was cyl 5 LOL. How do the logs look otherwise?

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Good to see a 9180 finally working, but don't those numbers seem low for such a big turbo on 31 psi? No log, graph shows a very laggy set up, so the 9180 isn't the spool monster everyone said it would be, call me unimpressed. Also we have a car on the dyno right now that pulls 3-7 degrees of timing on #4 just about every run. Every other cylnder is no corrections. Could be any number of things causing it. Hot spot in the cylinder, etc, etc.

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Good to see a 9180 finally working, but don't those numbers seem low for such a big turbo on 31 psi? No log, graph shows a very laggy set up, so the 9180 isn't the spool monster everyone said it would be, call me unimpressed. Also we have a car on the dyno right now that pulls 3-7 degrees of timing on #4 just about every run. Every other cylnder is no corrections. Could be any number of things causing it. Hot spot in the cylinder, etc, etc.

This is also a long runner/top mount design. I think if someone crammed the 9180 or another EFR into a short runner manifold I think you'd see the spool shine a bit more than this. Just a guess

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Winter
Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
This is also a long runner/top mount design. I think if someone crammed the 9180 or another EFR into a short runner manifold I think you'd see the spool shine a bit more than this. Just a guess
I agree with that. Those long runner top mounts help nothing in the way of performance, all they are is bling factor. The Twin Scroll bottom mount kits will be a better option for this turbo. I just spoke with Justin, he said the car has all kinds of issue and is also a little surprised/disappointed it didn't even break the 800WHP barrier. Oh well, the car is still a beast I am sure!

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Winter

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I agree with that. Those long runner top mounts help nothing in the way of performance, all they are is bling factor. The Twin Scroll bottom mount kits will be a better option for this turbo. I just spoke with Justin, he said the car has all kinds of issue and is also a little surprised/disappointed it didn't even break the 800WHP barrier. Oh well, the car is still a beast I am sure!

Agreed, that's why Anthony's bottom mount setup is extremely interesting to me, so is the CES manifold that is in a perpetual state of non-progress. I hate to stroke your ego, but your stage 3 Garrett offerings are also extremely well thought out in this regard. They are just a 10lb pile of OMG crammed into a 5lb bag of engine compartment and scare the living daylights out of me from an install/maintenance perspective. The CES manifold with a single GTX makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in that regard....but it's about as real as lottery winnings.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Agreed, that's why Anthony's bottom mount setup is extremely interesting to me, so is the CES manifold that is in a perpetual state of non-progress. I hate to stroke your ego, but your stage 3 Garrett offerings are also extremely well thought out in this regard. They are just a 10lb pile of OMG crammed into a 5lb bag of engine compartment and scare the living daylights out of me from an install/maintenance perspective. The CES manifold with a single GTX makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in that regard....but it's about as real as lottery winnings.

The ACF manifold may be the only bottom mount to actually fit a 9180, but that isn't a short runner design. No knock against it, but its a ~1500whp? capable manifold that most people will probably use for 750whp, something that log style manifolds can do and will spool better in the process. I predict there will be a change of the guard soon in terms of single turbo manifold selections, I think it will even out closer to 50/50 top/bottom in 2018. Good spool and plenty of power to be had with an inexpensive, short runner, twin scroll kit.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
The ACF manifold may be the only bottom mount to actually fit a 9180, but that isn't a short runner design. No knock against it, but its a ~1500whp? capable manifold that most people will probably use for 750whp, something that log style manifolds can do and will spool better in the process. The will be a change of the guard soon in terms of single turbo manifold selections, I think it will even out closer to 50/50 top/bottom in 2018. Good spool and plenty of power to be had with an inexpensive, short runner, twin scroll kit.

Which is why I might buy a set of cheap hybrids to hold me over until CES gets their stuff together.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Which is why I might buy a set of cheap hybrids to hold me over until CES gets their stuff together.

That is a lot of labor and potentially money for a temporary solution, are your turbos bad?

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Using the IWG of those bigger EFR turbos for boost control will lead to a lot of boost creep at higher rpm.

They abandoned the EFR series for that reason a while back and have redesigned everything for the Garrett GTX Gen II.