Jesse Burrell's EFR 9180 E93 does 768whp / 648wtq

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'll still never understand this game of slapping 900+whp turbos on these cars for 750whp.

Well I'm pretty sure his goal was 800+. It just didn't get there for a couple reasons, the timing is one of them.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I wouldn't say the car has all kinds of issues, it generally runs really well. There's been teething issues with broken wastegates, boostbox, and R8 coil issues initially but they were resolved by a very motivated owner and a great mechanic. That Rocco guy I just can't really speak highly enough about, he is great. Spool is in line with the turbo size, but with the manifold design (one of the best top mount twin scroll's I've seen) and EFR everyone was hoping for more, there may still be more to have time will tell. I know the supra community lags with this particular setup, but it's still a very capable turbo and should keep the stock block happy at high power. Also, I don't really care about boost I care about power, some setups make great power with less boost. This one is only like 50tq behind a typical 6466 twin scroll dyno below 5,000 rpm. And on the street it spools around 800rpm faster than the dyno.

The car was running well at first, had some boost control issues initially that were resolved quickly. It was firing on all 6 great and made just under 800 on a messy pull that misfired the first or second run, after that it seemed to be unhappy on cyl 4. It wasn't overly concerning, they checked everything, just annoying more than anything. Only real "issues" on the dyno were the PI needed some adjustment but they didn't have a way to flash the controller, and the WGDC was maxing out but boost was not increasing. This could point to any number of things that have to do with spool and the peak power obtained, but I don't like to guess.

Here's a log and a snapshot, don't remember which run this was, but most of them were very similar as it was tuning, not just power runs upping boost.

View attachment 7293

Link to one of the logs bcuz not EMP tuning https://datazap.me/u/v8bait/post-r8-coil-swap?log=0&data=3-7-8-9-10-11-12-19-30&solo=30&zoom=41-108
What is Rocco's last name? Wondering if it's a buddy of mine from years back.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Well I'm pretty sure his goal was 800+. It just didn't get there for a couple reasons, the timing is one of them.
How is the timing one of them? Its only pulling in #4. If that is killing all the power, why is a set of $2999 turbos, with a single barrel, and simple upgraded making 615/650 on 25 psi pulling 4-9 degrees of timing in #4 every pull? You have to get pulls across to the board to really kill power, yes its costing him a little power, but not enough to put him over 800WHP. For the size turbo he has on the car, and upgrades he has done, power output is not where it should be. Point blank

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
The transient response difference does change the game. Good EFR setups don't have "terrible spool" for a start. When spirited driving, it's not like you're constantly loading up the engine from low RPM. Yes, the EFRs do have bigger turbines than what other turbos run for similar size compressors which does slightly increase boost threshold but that's a small price to pay as the turbine is hugely lighter and the larger diameter gives the air more leverage on the shaft. Both of those things help transient response a lot. Also the larger diameter turbine wheel means lower back pressure too.

In summary, give me better transient response over better boost threshold any day. When you're driving a car in an enjoyable manner, you're generally keeping it above the boost threshold anyway but you're constantly making transient changes.
Let me know when transient response is helping you in a race in an AT or proper trans that doesn't drop spool between shifts. If you have a manual sure its great, but for a 950hp turbo, this showing is not up to par for the platform, transient response be damned.

As for the guy trying to tell me what companies quote compressor wheels dimensions at. Ok, GTX2867, GTX3582, EFR 9180, the list could go on, and on, and on. The ONLY company that quotes inducer size is PTE. Why is that, because they got sued by Garrett back in the day for literally ripping off their entire line up. To help make it look like they were not the same turbos, PTE started naming their turbos based on the inducer size. So they Garret GT3582 was no longer a GT3582, it was a PTE6262 based on the 62mm turbine exducer, and 61mm compressor inducer. Get your facts straight before just regurgitating garbage. The ONLY company to use inducer dimensions is PTE, for obvious reasons.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
How is the timing one of them? Its only pulling in #4. If that is killing all the power, why is a set of $2999 turbos, with a single barrel, and simple upgraded making 615/650 on 25 psi pulling 4-9 degrees of timing in #4 every pull? You have to get pulls across to the board to really kill power, yes its costing him a little power, but not enough to put him over 800WHP. For the size turbo he has on the car, and upgrades he has done, power output is not where it should be. Point blank

You measure boost in the manifold with the AEM, not off MHD. What would you say his manifold pressure is here? 28psi? Maybe that will help compare to yours better. And as for power, one cyl with -8 degrees vs 8 degrees across multiple cylinders is hard to quantify, but probably around 30whp as this car is below MBT to begin with here. His peak timing is in the 10's since the timing pulls were making us conservative despite the T85. This car with full timing and no pulls would have been at or over 800. I know this because there was one run without pulls that touched 780 briefly with only 10 degrees.

There's things holding power back sure but I don't think it's that far off, most cars I've seen over 800 take 32 to 34psi to do unless there's engine mods like headwork. Even the GC would take very high boost to beak 800 without engine work.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Spoke to you personally, and you said power, and spool were disappointing for the setup. Now you are saying its not. Ok. Yes I take boost from the manifold where it should be taken. Not the charge pipe, where boost is inflated, and the MHD scaling is still not right. My point was, and is. For how much work he has done to the car, turbo set up etc. Power level is disappointing. If people want to argue it isn’t. That’s fine. Different strokes

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Spoke to you personally, and you said power, and spool were disappointing for the setup. Now you are saying its not. Ok. Yes I take boost from the manifold where it should be taken. Not the charge pipe, where boost is inflated, and the MHD scaling is still not right. My point was, and is. For how much work he has done to the car, turbo set up etc. Power level is disappointing. If people want to argue it isn’t. That’s fine. Different strokes

Maybe disappointing is the wrong word, I don't think it's THAT disappointing. I guess it's more like we were hoping this combination would be pleasantly surprising, so far it's been more or less expected power. Nothing wrong with that but I get your point.

Moving forward, the car could easily make more boost with this setup, but for whatever reason wgdc was maxed. The Mac maxes at 80% so maybe it needs a better spring, maybe a gate is leaking, who knows. But with more boost that this turbo can easily make I'm sure there's more power to be had. The build is good for it if the motor is, and so far torque is being held perfect at 650 and he just needs a little more up top. I think it was more important for him to enjoy the car for once though, than keep chasing things. At some point you have to enjoy the car IMO.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: doublespaces

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
Let me know when transient response is helping you in a race in an AT or proper trans that doesn't drop spool between shifts. If you have a manual sure its great, but for a 950hp turbo, this showing is not up to par for the platform, transient response be damned.

As for the guy trying to tell me what companies quote compressor wheels dimensions at. Ok, GTX2867, GTX3582, EFR 9180, the list could go on, and on, and on. The ONLY company that quotes inducer size is PTE. Why is that, because they got sued by Garrett back in the day for literally ripping off their entire line up. To help make it look like they were not the same turbos, PTE started naming their turbos based on the inducer size. So they Garret GT3582 was no longer a GT3582, it was a PTE6262 based on the 62mm turbine exducer, and 61mm compressor inducer. Get your facts straight before just regurgitating garbage. The ONLY company to use inducer dimensions is PTE, for obvious reasons.

Both the the compressor and turbine inducer and exducer dimensions of at least Garrett and BW are known at least. I don't follow the others much. It's common knowledge that EFR have a larger turbine than other turbos using similar compressor size because they don't have to compromise the turbine size for inertia because the material is so much lighter.

I personally couldn't give 2 shits about drag racing. The EFR is not a drag racing turbo. Driving on a race track (not a drag strip) and a windy road, you brake into corners (off the gas) and come back on out of the corner. You do the same whether you're using auto or manual.

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i

How about you stop jumping to conclusions and reread what I wrote. Everybody knows the bad blood with Garrett and PTE however most in the drag racing and N54 community run their turbos. The easiest way to compare their turbos to the avg joe who mostly runs PTE is to compare inducer size.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Don't mind Tony. This is about the only N54 forum left he still isn't banned yet. Just ignore his BS.

Just block him ;) There is a reason the woman beating troll is banned from every bmw forum and had to hire a PR guy.

c5588043a3f6c54553c01294480ef6dce1e8402bfc6f6f02eebf84c5ae58fcfb.jpg

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
someone mentioned earlier about the CES manifold - it's unlikely this will be sold as a stand alone piece.

looking at north of $6.5k for their kit, when/if it comes to fruition.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
someone mentioned earlier about the CES manifold - it's unlikely this will be sold as a stand alone piece.

looking at north of $6.5k for their kit, when/if it comes to fruition.

Oh I think they will, just not initially. I was told approximately $1400.

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
Oh I think they will, just not initially. I was told approximately $1400.
I hope they do - but it’ll be too late for me. I reached out to CES last week and asked this same question, which is why I believe they’ll sell only the full kit for a while.

I’m building my 135 right now and bought the kit off the EMP’s 900 hp car.