Technical JB4 new install error code

N54NC

Lurker
Sep 13, 2018
Ride
07 335i
Hello all. Picked up a JB4 from a buddy and installed it on my car.

07 e92 manual w/ FBO and active autowerk tune.

Installed jb4 and started right up. After about 1min of idling, I get an error code and CEL

2F08 Inlet air tempature sensor. I reset and restarted and it pops up over and over.

Took out sensor and cleaned and still did it.

Unhooked JB4 and car ran fine.......No codes

Any ideas what might be causing?

Thanks!

[EDIT] Forgot to add. G5 unit w/ bluetooth and updated to latest firmware.

Just for the heck of it, I hooked the JB4 back up and got CEL again.....

Any ideas?

[EDIT] AGAIN....So I thought the avtive autowerks tune might me my issue. I backed it up and flashed a JB4 BEF I8A0S_Pump.bin file. and tried again.

I made sure to set option 4 menu to (2) BEF

Now I am getting error : 2f09

I drove it and as soon as turbos kick in, the boost starts rising very fast and power falls off. You let off throttle and BOV makes a big woosh. A bunch of noise, but no real power.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

[EDIT] In order to rule out any other issues, I loaded the orignal tune back on the ECU and removed JB4. Test drove car and no issues no CEL.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Maybe has anti-lag wires installed but you don't have the matching BEF loaded to use anti-lag?

N54NC

Lurker
Sep 13, 2018
Ride
07 335i
Maybe has anti-lag wires installed but you don't have the matching BEF loaded to use anti-lag?

BINGO! I reached out to him and he said the same thing. (I am new to the N54 and just disconnected the relay and figured it would be a standard install.

Dont think I want to do the anti-lag so I will have to see if has the orig chip.

Thanks so much.

On another note, one plug for BMS dual cones. I bought the car and the other guy had the car mods done by active autowerks. It is FBO and a tune from them. On the intake side, they however only did a drop in k&n.

I was getting a bad surging at 3100-3200. I just assumed it was the valves needed cleaning. (it has been about 40k since last done).

I just ordered some BMS cowl filters and dual cones. I put the dual cones on and there was a noticible difference in the car with only that. Something that tells me it is not all in my head, is the surging in the 3100-3200 range is TOTALLY gone. Really happy with it on this car. Thanks!

Justin

• Funny
Reactions: Cluelessmechanic

N54NC

Lurker
Sep 13, 2018
Ride
07 335i

Terry, I should have read further. I did NOT have the anti-lag wires installed...but your post got me thinking and I studied the directions for the install. What I DID notice is that the #17 jumper that comes out for the anti lag install and is replaced with another wire is missing from the harness!

I dont have any old parallel port computers with the old type pin harnesses, so I am going to solder up a temp jumper that I can put in the harness. I will see if this is the issue.

Question: are there any of those pins that are unused? If so, I could just steal a jumper out and swap.

Thanks again for your help!

N54NC

Lurker
Sep 13, 2018
Ride
07 335i
Just wanted to give a little update.

First off, I now realize I should have just bought a new JB4 rather than taking what I thought was a deal from a guy.

I realized that the harness he gave me had several missing jumpers. (from when it was uninstalled with the anti-lag and no lift) THIS was what was causing the error codes.

So All the wasted time. Installing, uninstalling.....ug. I made up some jumpers that would work out of some old computer parts I had laying around. But I realized that when I went to install again, that my DME did not have wires out to every pin on the harness. So I just used the ones from the empty slots to replace the necessary ones.

All one big headache and lesson learned.

I appreciate Terry taking the time to try to help and apologize for my own ignorance. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have taken the 'deal'.

JB4 installed w/ backend flash installed and running fine. Now I get the fun of learning to use it!

I ordered a BMS meth kit, so once I get the valves cleaned, I am going to play with that a little.

Thank you again for all the help!