Is my motor toast?

Stevo585

Private
Dec 16, 2022
Recently purchased an e92 335i with blown stock turbos to start my build.

I started by pulling the motor, removed the turbos and the rest of the accessories. I saw that at some point this motor may have ate a belt...There was belt debris under the power steering pump, ac compressor and a VTT seal guard was installed (I'm assuming too late).

I planned on doing rod bearings in prep for big boost, so during that process, checked the oil pump and pick up tube for belt debris - All was clean including no abnormal bearing wear for 90k mileage.

Also tried to check the cylinder walls the best I could for scoring or damage - checked out ok.

While doing a walnut blasting (all of the intake ports were coated in oil/ gunk which was expected from the blow turbos drinking oil)
I saw that cylinder 5 exhaust port is full of oil while 1,2,3,4 and 6 are completely dry. When looking into cylinder 5 spark plug hole I see oil.

My question is does that automatically mean I have a bad oil/piston ring?
I'm assuming a compression test would give me an answer? any other ways to test?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Sorry to hear about these issues. I don't know much about this so hopefully others will chime in, but I believe leaky valve seals can also be a source of oil in the cylinders. I'm not sure what's more likely - to have oil leaking from bad valve seals, or oil coming up past bad piston rings? Probably depends how the motor has been treated.

A compression test is probably a good idea. If that cylinder has good compression then you can probably assume the oil is from a bad valve seal. Hopefully since the cylinder walls didn't appear scored that means the piston rings aren't the culprit.

Like I said, hopefully other more knowledgeable people will chime in. Hopefully whatever is going on with your motor will end up being on the more simple end of the spectrum.

Stevo585

Private
Dec 16, 2022
I'm hoping that cylinder 5 valves were open when I flipped the motor over to do my rod bearings and oil seeped into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust valves.

Who knows...

I'll start with a compression test when the motor goes back in and if all is well, I'll let it rip.

Reactions: martymil

Stevo585

Private
Dec 16, 2022
I don't have the motor in just yet waiting for some parts, I will update once I do.

Fingers crossed!!

Reactions: Torgus