Ad: Introducing the PFS POD!

Silentkiller335i

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Using your logic so a set of pure turbos for instance is the same as stock turbos, they look the same don't they but it doesn't mean they are.

Its like saying a properly balanced turbo is the same as some douche rebuilt and assembled something them selves on the bench in their garage LOL
I get what you're saying but turbos are easily copied as they have tons of parts already made, turbos been around forever. Nothing new, this helix design was the only one in existence, and this one happens to look 100% like it, just find it funny. Ill wait and year and see how many people are having the same issues as the helix lol

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
It will be April at least before I'm done due to family business commitments as I'm just flat out 6 days a week 12 to 14 hrs a day on most days.

Hopefully another tester will step in a post a video for you guys.
Ahhh I see , hopefully

Reactions: PFS

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Cold start this morning after the car was out all night, you can hear it quiet down around 3:15. Stock HPFP tables would quiet out more if tuned for it:

Restart right after, quiets down within a few seconds:

Just an iphone mic, so take that with a grain of salt, mostly hear the good 'ole injector noise.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Chris this looks promising. Marty is picky as hell, as a third party, I'll take his word on noise and vibration.

I'm waiting on my ported head to get back from the CNC. I had nearly resigned to going to PI since the DI landscape was looking rough. This looks very promising. Coupled with bahn's beautifully designed B58 ignition system, the 535 Walbro ... I'm thinking reliable 600whp on Emix is very reasonable to obtain.

Look forward to hearing more, and this will be on my list once I get this motor together first half of this year.

Filippo

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
You can tune the cold start rattle out there is a fix for it in one of my threads

Yessir, it's an older tune on the car and I wanted to post the vid of no tune changes -worst case scenario.

Chris

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Won't this need a billet vacuum mounting plate?

We haven't seen any issues, probably because of the inherent balance of the unit and the brace being included in the kit from day 1.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Nice looking overdrive, hopefully it's better than the spool attempt! Knowing PFS and Spool I'm sure it is.

To anybody who thinks this is a copy and are sticking up for Spool, don't even get me started on Spool ripping off other companies like PR. At least PFS designed their own internals. That's a new product, or else every Pure, VTT, MMP etc are a copy of RB blah blah blah...

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Chris this looks promising. Marty is picky as hell, as a third party, I'll take his word on noise and vibration.

I'm waiting on my ported head to get back from the CNC. I had nearly resigned to going to PI since the DI landscape was looking rough. This looks very promising. Coupled with bahn's beautifully designed B58 ignition system, the 535 Walbro ... I'm thinking reliable 600whp on Emix is very reasonable to obtain.

Look forward to hearing more, and this will be on my list once I get this motor together first half of this year.

Filippo
You know it I'm picky as hell because I've been burned to many times by snake oil salesman and can for see most issues with a product before I use it.

I foresaw the issues the helix was going to have and got slammed for it by multiple members of this forum, LOL

Most of you know how pro double barrel I'am so for me to try this product was a big deal especially from watching the helix debacle unfold.

The reason I tried it because lots of customers where asking me what I would recommend and most could not afford the double barrel due to the high
cost of the components like ai6 and another pump and a heavily upgraded LPFP system.

It doesn't take much to meet most fuelling needs with this kit and it addresses all the short falls of the di system which Tony has found in the past
with his db kit and the heat issues I addressed last year.

Chris took all the issues we found and rolled them into one simple solution along side his POD and taking it to another level, well done dude.

I was running a 535 and the pod and my engine made the same power at a fraction of the cost whilst meeting my engines fuel needs, so I've been
telling everyone just to hold out as there was something on the horizon.

Sorry to everyone but I had to keep this hush hush until it was tested properly.

20200902_111942.jpg

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
All POD orders out, coupon is still active, and again, anyone on the fence and wants a whole fuel system with a good discount, just shoot me an email. Or shoot me a PM, during which I'll tell you to email me (lol).

Reactions: N54TT

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
TBH - I’m on the fence. Worried about cracked vacuum pump etc like what our friend Vehicular DIY experienced and demonstrated on his YouTube channel. Fundamentally I can’t see a huge difference in engineering and therefor in the inherent stresses and torques between a 3X Helix vs a 3X PFS. Please help - I’m really interested in this. What am I missing?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Your missing that this is a properly engineered and balanced solution vs who the hell knows.

I ran it for 5k with no issues all hard driven, I will be running it again in the track car with no hesitation.

Look anything can fail even the double barrel has in the past which I had no issues with personally.

The only other way is pi and stand alone like syvecs, pick your poison.

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
TBH - I’m on the fence. Worried about cracked vacuum pump etc like what our friend Vehicular DIY experienced and demonstrated on his YouTube channel. Fundamentally I can’t see a huge difference in engineering and therefor in the inherent stresses and torques between a 3X Helix vs a 3X PFS. Please help - I’m really interested in this. What am I missing?

The stresses of spinning a HPFP ~3x are about the same no matter how you spin the HPFP, but that's assuming the stresses we're interested in are caused from spinning the HPFP and not the vibes of the unit itself. I'm not too worried about the force required to spin the HPFP, I am worried about poorly designed vibration machines going crazy like a misloaded washing machine on nitrous enhanced spin cycle.

The POD is a completely bespoke design, yes, they look similar as discussed elsewhere in the thread, but that's more of a factor of matching the existing parts/envelope than anything else. Engineering is what's inside and that's where good and lousy designs diverge.

The POD uses helical cut gears and is internally balanced. Helical gears are smoother, quieter, and don't vibrate anywhere near as much at higher speeds. They cost more to design and use, but are appropriate for this end use. The brace, which is part of the original design and not an after thought, was designed to stabilize the whole structure appropriately. Keep in mind the POD is quiet. Sure you get some chatter without doing tune revisions at cold start, but after that she quiets way down. Better yet, just update the tune and it's quiet from the get go. You can hear and feel the difference.

We sell both PI and DI solutions, both can be well implemented. We consider this a well implemented DI enhancement option.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
The stresses of spinning a HPFP ~3x are about the same no matter how you spin the HPFP, but that's assuming the stresses we're interested in are caused from spinning the HPFP and not the vibes of the unit itself. I'm not too worried about the force required to spin the HPFP, I am worried about poorly designed vibration machines going crazy like a misloaded washing machine on nitrous enhanced spin cycle.

The POD is a completely bespoke design, yes, they look similar as discussed elsewhere in the thread, but that's more of a factor of matching the existing parts/envelope than anything else. Engineering is what's inside and that's where good and lousy designs diverge.

The POD uses helical cut gears and is internally balanced. Helical gears are smoother, quieter, and don't vibrate anywhere near as much at higher speeds. They cost more to design and use, but are appropriate for this end use. The brace, which is part of the original design and not an after thought, was designed to stabilize the whole structure appropriately. Keep in mind the POD is quiet. Sure you get some chatter without doing tune revisions at cold start, but after that she quiets way down. Better yet, just update the tune and it's quiet from the get go. You can hear and feel the difference.

We sell both PI and DI solutions, both can be well implemented. We consider this a well implemented DI enhancement option.
Thank you for your comments. I looked up helical gears and learned something today. I am looking forward to the POD becoming a great hit for the N54 platform.

Reactions: derekgates and PFS

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Been talking with Chris @ @PFS . This setup is looking quite appealing (thanks @martymil for doing some of the early testing).

Chris is sending a setup my way, to run on the Z4. I'll post on my build thread when this part gets under way. Guess it is time to also switch the EKPM3 to M2 and build the Walbro 535 Z4 pump setup, since the parts are sitting here.

Filippo