Intake ports after 1 year / 14k mi with port injection

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Three days ago I removed my intake manifold to replace knock sensors and took the opportunity to take pictures of the intake ports. I ran full e85 for about 8 months out of the year since my port injection was installed (~4 months of pump gas during winter and early spring). PI was installed early Sept 2017 so this makes 1 year and ~14k miles. N54 engine

all ports.PNG

Cyl 1 looked similar to all the others, darkness is due to poor lighting. All cylinders needed post editing for the deposits to even show up, unedited pics are just one big black hole for each port.

PCV setup is BMS OCC / plugged head ports / Mishimoto OCC

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tisdrew

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
Everyone of our cars looks like this and most look worse. Are you suggesting he should be more concerned than anyone else for some reason?
Have you followed the whole conversation ? Let me me give you a little recap.

Me: "Have you clean your valves before installing PI"
Him: "No"
Me: "Wow, isnt it dangerous to run PI with dirty valves ? Stuff will maybe get dissolved and maybe go into the engine"

I was saying that maybe it is dangerous to run PI with dirty valves, yes PI will clean that shit, but then where is the shit going to go ? In the engine maybe...

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
I think if my engine was gonna explode from dirty valves / PI it would have done it a long time ago lol especially at 30 psi on twins / 33 psi on the single

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Three days ago I removed my intake manifold to replace knock sensors and took the opportunity to take pictures of the intake ports. I ran full e85 for about 8 months out of the year since my port injection was installed (~4 months of pump gas during winter and early spring). PI was installed early Sept 2017 so this makes 1 year and ~14k miles. N54 engine

View attachment 15700

Cyl 1 looked similar to all the others, darkness is due to poor lighting. All cylinders needed post editing for the deposits to even show up, unedited pics are just one big black hole for each port.

PCV setup is BMS OCC / plugged head ports / Mishimoto OCC
These should be cleaned.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Any of that crap from valves that happen to fall off just gets burnt up in combustion stroke and sucked out the exhaust valves. If anything it might affect turbo(s)

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Pretty sure that gunk is not hard enough to damage anything I would think only thing to worry about would be a cat clogging which isnt really issue for most and like erichale said it will just burn up most likely anyway. On older cars people used to go wot to clean carbon out so to speak and I have seen it blowing out exhaust ,so I'd assume it was cleaning it out ,also every snake oil valve and Injector treatment for 300 bucks would be popping motors left and right Instead just making wallet lighter. I wish we could seen a before pic cause I bet they were way dirtier before hopefully another 14k will have them shining ;)

Reactions: veer90

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Pretty sure that gunk is not hard enough to damage anything I would think only thing to worry about would be a cat clogging which isnt really issue for most and like erichale said it will just burn up most likely anyway. On older cars people used to go wot to clean carbon out so to speak and I have seen it blowing out exhaust ,so I'd assume it was cleaning it out ,also every snake oil valve and Injector treatment for 300 bucks would be popping motors left and right Instead just making wallet lighter. I wish we could seen a before pic cause I bet they were way dirtier before hopefully another 14k will have them shining ;)
No injector cleaner would do anything for the valves on the N54 running DI only.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
No injector cleaner would do anything for the valves on the N54 running DI only.
Correct but I am referring to the fact that cars have been fine and dealers push on soccer moms all time

@Veer question why is that one plug ashy looking on cyl 5 I belive did you notice anything or was it just the pic ?

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Correct but I am referring to the fact that cars have been fine and dealers push on soccer moms all time

@Veer question why is that one plug ashy looking on cyl 5 I belive did you notice anything or was it just the pic ?

Plug? You mean port injector?

These are MMP chinesium port injectors so who knows lol. They work fine though so I don't ask too many questions I just send.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Just curious as since I just a walnut blast, and looking how this system works, do you have vapors that are recirculated into the intake causing the buildup? If the heads are blocked, and dirvirters removed, we're is the oil vapor entering from?

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Also note any gunk going into the cylinder will be continuously hit by fuel. The port injection is only triggering during higher boost scenarios. I have meth injection and it probably only sprays 1% of the time I drive the car.