Inlet/ST Expansion tanks

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
This just seems too damn simple but since the dawn of inlets and single turbos the n54 has been searching for handsome relocation options of vacuum canisters and expansion tanks..

Who has used a universal expansion tank from say summit with good success? The options are endless and if though out correctly I'm sure you could gain some much needed coolant capacity as well!
I like this forum and frequent here because here is the place we're we solve these kinda of problems not say "no you need a tft CP and diesel tank"

Nope I want an aluminum universal tank lol

63769.jpg

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Would definitely work. Some don't like the idea of having the dummy light warning removed but if you short the sensor wire it won't give a coolant error warning.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Would definitely work. Some don't like the idea of having the dummy light warning removed but if you short the sensor wire it won't give a coolant error warning.

Yup I knew that would be the biggest draw back to some.. I agree myself it's not ideal. We do a lot more risky shit with our cars lol

Would definitely make one with a sight glass a must though!

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Why do you want an aluminum one so badly? Unless you have one custom made, it'll never have the fit,finish, and full integration of the 335d tanks.

• Dislike
Reactions: TEC

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Why do you want an aluminum one so badly? Unless you have one custom made, it'll never have the fit,finish, and full integration of the 335d tanks.

I don't like the way the 335d tank sits and it forces you to use select charge pipes

Expensive charge pipes at that.. The tft and am other one that I cant think of both expensive as hell.. Second I don't like how the tft mounts to the throttle
VS
80 dollar universal and some ingenuity :)

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I don't like the way the 335d tank sits and it forces you to use select charge pipes

Expensive charge pipes at that.. The tft and am other one that I cant think of both expensive as hell.. Second I don't like how the tft mounts to the throttle
VS
80 dollar universal and some ingenuity :)
I made my own charge pipe, and it sits and fits exactly as I wanted it to. It didn't cost me much either. Retaining full functionality of your gauges and sensors seems a little more important than a generic pipe, no?

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I made my own charge pipe, and it sits and fits exactly as I wanted it to. It didn't cost me much either. Retaining full functionality of your gauges and sensors seems a little more important than a generic pipe, no?

I think I saw that before somewhere!
Yes it is important.. The only one you would lose is a low coolant light.. The way I check things it probably wouldn't be a problem but for the less handy it would be a big big no no!
Still undecided, I monitor my coolant temp as it is I would know I'd think.

Either way it's all just a thought for now

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I think it's bimmerlife, or something like that, that makes a custom coolant reservoir with a sensor bung for n54 cars. It looks good for a semi custom piece, but not cheap iirc.

Reactions: doublespaces

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I think it's bimmerlife, or something like that, that makes a custom coolant reservoir with a sensor bung for n54 cars. It looks good for a semi custom piece, but not cheap iirc.

Yea that's the problem is affordability.. Not putting that into an expansion tank.. I belive its in the 500 range.. Worth it I'm sure but not what I'd spend my money on

I am thinking about a kinda reservoir "module" kinda thing that would essentially be a glorified bracket for a coolant tank, vacuum canister (maybe) as well as oil catch can(s)

Bigdaddyaaron

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
USA
I've been tossing the same idea around. I was about to take a leap of faith on one but a few days later a piece of the oem fluid level indicator broke off, which tells me that the rest isn't far behind. so I just ordered an oem replacement. I have to swap the coolant flange on the block anyway so maybe I'll go ahead and order a universal tank just to try it out during the swap.

Notmpwr

Private
Jul 5, 2017
Ride
535i
Just make sure what ever you use has a traditional radiator cap, the ones you posted are overflow tanks and the cap won't hold any pressure. If you find one you like you could just chop the current cap off and weld a radiator cap bung. I like to use ones designed for Honda's because they are compact.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Just make sure what ever you use has a traditional radiator cap, the ones you posted are overflow tanks and the cap won't hold any pressure. If you find one you like you could just chop the current cap off and weld a radiator cap bung. I like to use ones designed for Honda's because they are compact.

Agreed.. I didn't realize that when I snagged the pic.. But I did notice the difference and most are just overflow tanks not expansion tanks..
Thanks for the concern bud :)
That woulda been messy lol

Notmpwr

Private
Jul 5, 2017
Ride
535i
Agreed.. I didn't realize that when I snagged the pic.. But I did notice the difference and most are just overflow tanks not expansion tanks..
Thanks for the concern bud :)
That woulda been messy lol

Haha yeah, I like your idea though. I could probably machine out some bungs that are the like the factory quick connect so you could use the factory line or use a an bung, an to Barb fitting adapter.

Also, search for aluminum coolant surge tanks, that might provide some better results.