Index 1 injectors better than index 12s?

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
I just buy whatever dino oil is the cheapest at the big box store and generally run it for 15-20k. I don't run an oil filter anymore as I need more flow to my intercooler. With the ammount of blow by I get on my piston rings I may just stop oil changes all together and just top off. That is what the VQ35 guys do.
More flow to intercooler is achieved by knocking teeth off of the wheels on your turbo.
Less restriction = more airflow. Ask anybody that knows the basics.
Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus and wheela

Bad_335i

Aug 1, 2023
The latest index 12s were released in October 2016 fyi. N54s started shipping in 2006. 10 years technically 13 revisions. More than 1 revision a year assuming they were all spread out equally. While technically the n54 was sold until 2016 in the Z4 it began being phased out in 2009. ~3 years after it was released.

The 13th rev added in the internal filter and optimized thermal compensating oil. Seems like the one to go with.

Even if Rev1s flowed more who cares? Zero proof. Maxing out the stock DI system is a bad idea in general. If they do flow more, who cares? I can't imagine they added an internal filter and thermal compensating oil to cut costs. Both sound 100% related to reliability not cutting costs.

While cutting costs is a huge thing in the automotive industry. 13 revs is a bit much at more than 1 per year.

Anyways I got my index 12s at $750 from FCP as a precaution and preventative maintenance and could not be happier.

Do what you will. All I see is evidence that the rev 12(technically 13) are the way to go. If there is factual data proving otherwise it would great to see it posted.

Finally, do you really want index ones manufactured in 2006 in 2023? 17 years old soon to be 18.
I can see that happening, what I’m getting at is the index 1s may have possible been manufactured w the internal filter and thermal compensating oil, and they got rid of it to cut costs, then eventually reverted to the original design on the index 12s after they realized they can’t be reliable without these said certain features. Never said 12s are cost cut. U guys seem offended by me stating a theory which is a very possible manufacturing error. but as u stated There is no proof, and this entire conversation is speculation anyways since There is no data on flow rates, updates etc. only first hand real world reliability issues and successes

Reactions: wheela

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
I don't think anyone is upset.
But it would not,and should not, take 12 revisions to figure out that you need a filter from index 1 if that is even the case....just to cut costs and then not.
Redesigning and engineering another revision would increase cost, not the other way around.
I am sure lots of money got lost on other revisions, manufacturing, warranty, extended warranty, etc, far from SAVING money or cutting costs.
But as people have said b4, you like your index 1 and feel they are on par with index 12, have at it ! It's your car, and your injectors.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I don't think anyone is upset.

Redesigning and engineering another revision would increase cost, not the other way around.

This.

13 revisions. How fucking expensive was that? 10 years 150k warranty free injectors + labor as many times as they fail. Holy fuck that must have been an expensive recall campaign. VDO did not save money and paid out for a serial defects that cost them millions. The likely were upside down on the entire deal at the end of the day. Remember they sold the Z4 w/ the n54 in 1016. Those injectors are still under the 10 year warranty. The bleeding has yet to stop.

I don't think anyone in this thread cares what rev injectors other people run. Just like IDGAF what oil you run, it's not my car. I do think people generally want to educate others about best practices, especially on a motor which gets trash talked about reliability and the injectors are one of the most unreliable and expensive parts of the engine to fix. Running older rev n54 injectors is not a best practice. Again, you do you.

Last edited: