If your transmission cooler fan suddenly starts to blow fuse...this may be why.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I was doing so hard driving today to test out stage 3xhp with my PD transmission and I decided to check on the transmission temperatures and found it to be 201ºf which was 20º over nominal recommended operating temps. I checked the fans and they were off...which is not right since the thermostat is set at 190ºF. So I checked the 30 amp fuse and found it blown. So I replaced it three times and it kept blowing. Each time the fan kicked on, about three seconds into it, the fuse blew.

So I took apart my front driver side section, wheel well to access the fans and I have two wired in a series. I found one fan was gummed up with street tar and was completely seized up. That is why the fuses kept blowing, the fan would try to operate but would over heat because it was stuck. So I took that fan offline and now no more fuse blowing and the other fan is functioning as normal.

I had two fans for redundancy, but I think I will run one now, until I see a reason for replacing the second fan.

So folks, if your fan was running normal for months and suddenly starts blowing fuses... check to be sure the fan is not stuck on something that will cause the fan to blow a fuse.

That be all today.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus and R.G.