HTG tuning dct controller

DirtKurt

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
NH
So i think this company has been mentioned a few times already on here. I reached out to them today and it looks like this may be the ticket. They are now offering pre built harnesses and they will do the tcu modification as well. So basically ship them a tcu and get back a standalone controlled fully tunable dct.
They also are saying it will communicate via can with the ecu for the needed inputs and outputs.

Thoughts, Am I missing anything?

Screenshot_20200409-230435_Instagram.jpg

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Also standalones usually aren’t as smooth as OEM out of the box and they need someone fairly knowledgeable to tune them. I wish they’d have invested in cracking the stock one; they’d have made a mint by now

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
The video proves it works. Doesn't seem very smooth on take up.....I reckon you'd want to spend some time learning how to get it nice and silky. Unless your use case is strictly track? In that case it won't matter but for most that wouldn't be a nice thing to daily.

DirtKurt

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
NH
The video proves it works. Doesn't seem very smooth on take up.....I reckon you'd want to spend some time learning how to get it nice and silky. Unless your use case is strictly track? In that case it won't matter but for most that wouldn't be a nice thing to daily.

I think with my new suspension setup this will be the least of my comfort concerns haha. But in seriousness my car is far from a daily driver anymore. My only concern is being able to make the car do what i want. The auto upshift at redline and diff ratio issues have been deal breakers for me thus far and why my dct is still sitting on a bench.

DirtKurt

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
NH
Had been considering, more for the dct control aspect. Engine tuning wise I have been otherwise very happy with mhd and my tuner.

DirtKurt

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
NH
I spoke on the phone with them yesterday for awhile. Answered alot of questions. Apparently there are a few different modes this unit can run in. Cars with lower power levels can run in a "dumb" mode that will just power through upshifts and downshifts with no power interruption to the motor. They also have the ability to send the torque reduction requests to the engine for power reduction during shifts. Alot gentler on the clutches and important at higher power levels.
At my current power levels the dumb mode is probably fine. However, he is very confident they can write the code to send the torque reduction to the factory ecu.
I guess ill be taking a bit of a gamble that they can deliver on the full integration but its a risk i'm willing to take.

Another video to check out

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I know of a couple of other people who have gone this route, @EOSpeed is one of them, but he is holding out on sharing information so I'm putting him on the spot. He's got a caged DCT project that you harass him about sharing info about.

There is another option like HTG as well, you'd have to contact @Nisse Järnet about it.

DirtKurt

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
NH
I know of a couple of other people who have gone this route, @EOSpeed is one of them, but he is holding out on sharing information so I'm putting him on the spot. He's got a caged DCT project that you harass him about sharing info about.

There is another option like HTG as well, you'd have to contact @Nisse Järnet about it.

Well shit, lets hear it guys! I know about the dkg ecu and the like. But im not aware of any that actually remove the factory tcu like HTG does

@EOSpeed

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I know about the dkg ecu and the like. But im not aware of any that actually remove the factory tcu like HTG does

The TCU is still there with the HTG stuff, I don't know that it actually differs from the dkgecu version in that sense. I'm pretty sure the external controller just fires the solenoids directly or whatever. I've been shown a photo, picture the TCU board with about 13 wires soldered across it.