High side PCV vacuum single turbo?

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
So if you had that, would allow you to have a vacuum source for pcv in what would effectively be an inlet pipe, correct? Aside from running the line back to the valve is anything else required? Interesting idea.

The only way you can get an actual vacuum reference for the PCV system is by locating a position between the throttle plate and intake valves (which is to support the low side system).

But having a bung positioned on the inlet would allow for a connection to the flapper assembly for the high side turbo inlet vacuum "assist" too.

Both are required to have an OE like PCV functionality.

Rob

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
So if you had that, would allow you to have a vacuum source for pcv in what would effectively be an inlet pipe, correct? Aside from running the line back to the valve is anything else required? Interesting idea.

Correct. Vacuum source from inlet pipe just like the OEM design. OEM is from the rear inlet. So I would in theory have 2x the vacuum if not more but that should only help things I would think.

Again I am amazed this is not discussed more...but then vacuum caps off the brake booster line when you go ST are also never brought up ;)

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I have a flapper delete fitting that goes to a catch can which has had the stone filter removed so it is more like a free flowing drip can. The high side really doesn't emit much except for drips anyway so I felt this served the purpose as well as relieved any restriction. This allows me to run pretty AN lines. I then run the flapper after the 'drip can' which allows me to eliminate that crappy plastic clip that always breaks, and instead just run 3/4" heater hose that slips right on.

From here, yes I will likely route it to the intake pipe, but I do NOT believe this provides any measurable amount of vacuum, neither does the stock configuration. It sucks away the fumes, that is all I consider it doing. I'm not saying the engine doesn't require vacuum, any setup is not ideal without a vacuum pump from what I can tell. Particularly high powered vehicles, as they also have problems with smoking. Although the PCV delete systems are 'free flowing' they still can't evacuate the crank case fast enough and in some cases will still build up positive crank case pressures. These setups should breath more since they have two vents, but would still benefit from vacuum.

Andy is releasing a mechanical vacuum pump soon which hooks on between the OE vacuum pump and HPFP. I don't think there is a way to make this work properly with a PCV system, is there? Because when at idle, vacuum will be pulling on the high side. There would need to be some sort of controller or bypass perhaps.

Also, with exhaust scavenge setups, you need a check valve to prevent backfires from pressurizing your motor, with a check valve you're also restricting the engine once again so that it cannot breath at idle.

upload_2018-6-12_15-59-29.png

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
You really do not need significant vacuum, some assist is typically all that is needed and the inlet helps in that regard. But there's no doubt that a crank vac system would be the most ideal especially for constant high load scenarios, and can help free up some ponies for those looking to really get serious. There is a fine line though as too much vacuum can cause issues, so it is a matter of "figuring out" what is the best per given power level/engine condition/mod configuration/etc. on a case by case basis.

Also don't leave your wallets at home nor your patience as it is going to be a bit on the pricey side and to dial one in for each application is going to leave a lot to be desired as well. Our presumption is that a really well thought out crank vac setup product for the N54 will likely never really take off primarily due to bang vs. buck.

Rob