Technical High power fuel filter solutions?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I replaced my in-tank on the Z4 at 28k ... just because for $100+ made no sense to me to leave an 8-year-old filter there when doing work. HPFP mesh out. Fuelabs in the plumbing. I'll be on 535 in tank shortly, once the rest of the in-tank plumbing comes.

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
yes that's it. my old pump is now just a lift pump with the stock venturi system still in place and functional. the radium tank is designed for 335i fuel tank, it doesnt quite fit my 135i fuel tank but i made it fit with some minor modifications. their website has some good system pictures showing how the oem and their system differ in operation.
How much power is that thing good for? I have a PR intank regulator setup and im having nothing but issues with it. My car is single turbo and i need a fuel system that can handle atleast 800whp comftorably. Might make the switch to that, especially since it cuts out ekp woes since it no longer is relying on it to feed to the engine, only the bucket

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
How much power is that thing good for? I have a PR intank regulator setup and im having nothing but issues with it. My car is single turbo and i need a fuel system that can handle atleast 800whp comftorably. Might make the switch to that, especially since it cuts out ekp woes since it no longer is relying on it to feed to the engine, only the bucket

what are your issues?

i run twin 450's in the surge tank. you could run twin 525's if you really wanted to.

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
what are your issues?

i run twin 450's in the surge tank. you could run twin 525's if you really wanted to.
At first i couldn't get my base pressure below 92 psi, then suddenly started working and allowing me to set a normal base pressure, now low pressure tanks on 20 psi on pump gas, very mild tune and it already cant keep up. Ive tried everything and i dont know what to do anymore, contacted pr and they were helpful but ultimately couldnt figure it out either. Maybe i got a bad hat or something but I've yet to make this thing work and im tired of messing with it, the only thing i havent replaced in my entire fuel system is my ekp.

Last edited:

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
Precision Raceworks makes a really nice replacement for the stock fuel filter/pressure regulator. That's what I'm using and it made a big difference. It uses a stainless steel mesh filter in place of the stock filter.

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Precision Raceworks makes a really nice replacement for the stock fuel filter/pressure regulator. That's what I'm using and it made a big difference. It uses a stainless steel mesh filter in place of the stock filter.
Thats what im using, nothing but problems out of it, havent gotten it to work since day 1

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
Mine works great. Their original instructions where not great and so when I first installed it I plumbed the in tank stuff wrong and that caused me problems, but once I got that figured out and set the FPR properly it's been awesome.

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Mine works great. Their original instructions where not great and so when I first installed it I plumbed the in tank stuff wrong and that caused me problems, but once I got that figured out and set the FPR properly it's been awesome.
I just pmd you with a couple questions, so i dont thread jack

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
At first i couldn't get my base pressure below 92 psi, then suddenly started working and allowing me to set a normal base pressure, now low pressure tanks on 20 psi on pump gas, very mild tune and it already cant keep up. Ive tried everything and i dont know what to do anymore, contacted pr and they were helpful but ultimately couldnt figure it out either. Maybe i got a bad hat or something but I've yet to make this thing work and im tired of messing with it, the only thing i havent replaced in my entire fuel system is my ekp.
what pump(s)? the fact that you say you couldnt get pressure below 92psi and then "suddenly" starting working but cant deliver much fuel, feels like the pump was going too hard or something not set up right, then something has failed which allowed you to a get better pressure but only because it cant flow max rates anymore. just a thought.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
if i remember right i was struggling on full e85 on a single 450 with the stock plumbing at probably 400whp on stock twins. so you might not be that far away from its limits if you are actually making a bit more than you think. the ekp might have had enough as well. i dont know if you can bypass the ekp and run the pump flat out on a test run, its been years since i looked at that stuff with the stock dme.

Last edited:

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
if i remember right i was struggling on full e85 on a single 450 with the stock plummbing at probably 400whp on stock twins. so you might not be that far away from its limits if you are actually making a bit more than you think. the ekp might have had enough as well. i dont know if you can bypass the ekp and run the pump flat out on a test run, its been years since i looked at that stuff with the stock dme.
As a matter of fact i know a way i can do that and byspass the ekp! Thanks for the idea!, ill try that out and see if it still does it , and as for the fuel limit yes on full e85 that would be a problem, but it be more of a hp problem not lp, a 450 pump on pump gas should definitely be able to handle this.

Reactions: NoGuru

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
The PR driver side hat gets rid of the stock venturi to feed the passenger side tank, it's not good.

Single walbro 450, the high pressure relief version, it should be able to handle 20 psi on a 6266 and pump gas no problem, car is probably only making 450 to 500 on my boost and timing level

Single 274 won't be enough if your mixture is ethanol heavy.

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
The PR driver side hat gets rid of the stock venturi to feed the passenger side tank, it's not good.

Single 274 won't be enough if your mixture is ethanol heavy.

I"m not sure if you are using an older version or something but my PR setup on the driver side for sure keeps the venturi to return fuel to the passenger side where it dumps back into the pump bucket. If it didn't you'd run out of fuel just below 1/4 tank if you are driving with no corners to slosh fuel to the passenger side.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
I"m not sure if you are using an older version or something but my PR setup on the driver side for sure keeps the venturi to return fuel to the passenger side where it dumps back into the pump bucket. If it didn't you'd run out of fuel just below 1/4 tank if you are driving with no corners to slosh fuel to the passenger side.

Their current version only uses the regulator bleed, and does not keep the stock venturi jets.

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
I was just looking on their website, it looks like they don't even offer it anymore... interesting.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
They're redoing it because of the reason mentioned.

With no eta according to them a week ago. Rather annoying as I may have just gotten there last one. They claim it will work just fine which is also frustrating as I don't want 1/4 tank issues which is why I dislike the bucket less options.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
With no eta according to them a week ago. Rather annoying as I may have just gotten there last one. They claim it will work just fine which is also frustrating as I don't want 1/4 tank issues which is why I dislike the bucket less options.

All depends on how you set your regulator... You can always modify the oem venturi to connect to it.

Reactions: Torgus