Help me understand power potential!

Randomizer

Lurker
Dec 16, 2020
I currently do not own a 135i but have been eying them due to their tuning capabilities and turbocharched motors. I am in Canada, so we do not have access to e85 at pumps here so I just want to get an idea of what WHP I can achieve with pump 94 as well as pump 94 +meth/water. I have done some research the past couple of days and I have come to these mods:

Catless DP: https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-3-stai...-bmw-135i.html

DCI: https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...ke-for-n54-bmw

Berk Axle Back: https://www.vividracing.com/-p-15071...BoCo_4QAvD_BwE

BMS Charge Pipe + Tial BOV: https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...nt=20292918083

VSRF 7.5" FMIC: https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-7-fron...2-e90-e92.html

I have a couple questions as I am new to this platform in general and this is my first time diving into them. I have a goal of 400WHP with those mods on 94 alone. 450WHP with meth and 94. Is this possible or will I need other mods? I also am not sure what to do for tuning, I see alot of people saying to get a JB4 and run one of the maps but 1, I am not sure what map to run and 2, wouldn't a dyno tune be better than one of the maps already on the device? Hopefully I can get some useful help from you guys.

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
Hi,

do the mods above and ask V8bait for a custom water/meth tune. You will be roughly around 400 wheel.

BTW, just get MHD for N54.

Reactions: martymil

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I would say yes, with what you listed should be around 400whp, and with meth about 450 as long as you have a tune.

For Tuning JB4 is okay but is primarily a boost controller "piggy back system" that intercepts the signal to the DME. It does have some nice safety features built in though, do some research on it.
Then you have your OTS (Off the Shelf) maps, such as MHD. They offer lots of maps and features that are pretty nice.
And of coarse a custom Tune, that range from $200 to $600 depending on tuner and how many maps you want.

Just keep in mind that you will most likely need to do some basic maintenance before adding a bunch of power.

Reactions: Slowagon54

Randomizer

Lurker
Dec 16, 2020
I would say yes, with what you listed should be around 400whp, and with meth about 450 as long as you have a tune.

For Tuning JB4 is okay but is primarily a boost controller "piggy back system" that intercepts the signal to the DME. It does have some nice safety features built in though, do some research on it.
Then you have your OTS (Off the Shelf) maps, such as MHD. They offer lots of maps and features that are pretty nice.
And of coarse a custom Tune, that range from $200 to $600 depending on tuner and how many maps you want.

Just keep in mind that you will most likely need to do some basic maintenance before adding a bunch of power.
I see, so if I get a custom dyno tune is it better than a JB4 and MHD? Or are one of those needed for a custom tune?

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
From a fueling perspective, 93+meth is good into the high 600s/low 700s and you could stack a helix hpfp upgrade to maybe crack 800 (optimistic). This assumes you have adequate airflow from the turbocharger(s).

Randomizer

Lurker
Dec 16, 2020
From a fueling perspective, 93+meth is good into the high 600s/low 700s and you could stack a helix hpfp upgrade to maybe crack 800 (optimistic). This assumes you have adequate airflow from the turbocharger(s).
I see, what is the helix hpfp used for, is it just a pump with more flow? I don't really understand how there is a lpfp and a hpfp in these cars. What do you think about with the mods I listed? Is 400whp 94 and 450whp 94+meth attainable on stock turbos?

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
I can't hit 450whp with meth and 400whp without it? Someone else here said I can. Could you explain?
If i got you right, you will not change the stockers. With stock turbos, the common FBO mods plus Meth AND a custom tune, you will hit 400 wheel for sure. But to hit 450 wheel, i dont know. 450 Wheel is around 500 at crank. Thats quite a high number. AFAIK its the world record on stock turbos...

Randomizer

Lurker
Dec 16, 2020
If i got you right, you will not change the stockers. With stock turbos, the common FBO mods plus Meth AND a custom tune, you will hit 400 wheel for sure. But to hit 450 wheel, i dont know. 450 Wheel is around 500 at crank. Thats quite a high number. AFAIK its the world record on stock turbos...
Ahhh... was really hoping to do this on stockers. could I get close? I mean, ill be fine with 440 435 at least.

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
I cant see the point in pushing stockers to the max. Get some hybrid turbos... they are really cheap already. Try the 17T Chinese ones if you are really on a budget.

For the ones who does not know:

1, Download the MHD App for N54 s and get the licence
2, get an Intake (DCI's from Burger for the budget)
3, get Downpipes (plenty of offers around, and already cheap as bread)

At this point you should be at 420 horse crank with proper fuel.

4, if 420 is not enough, get inlets and a custom tune

With the Inlets you will gain torque the most and maybe some 10 hp.

5, if 430 horses (at crank) are not enough, get Water/Meth. Depends on your goals you can go with a single nozzle setup up to a six nozzle setup.

Thats all you can do... or you save some money first an go straight with the hybrids. I bet thats cheaper in the long run.

Randomizer

Lurker
Dec 16, 2020

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Those are nice numbers! Where would I be roughly if I do not include inlets and outlets.... 400 on 94? 435-445 on meth? Also what meth kits should I be looking at that have some upgradability incase I go for more power in the future.

FBO 93/94 will get you right around 400whp. A bit less with OTS maps I have seen them dynojet dyno around 375-400whp peak. I think you have to have a protune to hit 400+, maybe the OTS maps are better now?

I like my aquamist kit. It is pricey but has plenty of failsafes, a real gauge which shows meth flow, tank level, and you can turn it off via the gauge. It also have a flow sensor and FAV and a number of other failsafes built in. Just get a kit with decent failsafes. You want to be safe if there is an interruption in meth flow etc.