Has anyone flashed a 1M DME onto a 135?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Towson area. I do have MHD, are you talking about converting the 1M tune to a bin and uploading it via MHD? (was just reading about how that could be a possibility)

No, a straight 1M bin will give the issues listed above (low power, codes, etc). I have to modify the logic for it to run.

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
If you're willing to help me out, I can send you the bin of my current DME software via MHD. If you send me back the 1M bin, I can flash it via MHD myself thus not needing to meet in person. Question I have though is would flashing the DME via MHD vs the ZBNR in winKFP give me the "theoretical" extra code needed for reading out the iDrive Sport View?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
If you're willing to help me out, I can send you the bin of my current DME software via MHD. If you send me back the 1M bin, I can flash it via MHD myself thus not needing to meet in person. Question I have though is would flashing the DME via MHD vs the ZBNR in winKFP give me the "theoretical" extra code needed for reading out the iDrive Sport View?

The code is in the 1M bin no matter how you flash it (it's done via CAN packets sent to the iDrive). But you can't just flash IKM0S on a DME that isn't a 1M DME. This is where the custom work comes in, and is proprietary.

Reactions: doublespaces

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
The code is in the 1M bin no matter how you flash it (it's done via CAN packets sent to the iDrive). But you can't just flash IKM0S on a DME that isn't a 1M DME. This is where the custom work comes in, and is proprietary.

I just sent you a PM but after reading this again, I miss-read what you meant at first. So to be clear: you can modify the 1M bin to work on my 135 and I can flash that 1m bin via MHD to my DME?

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
I've been doing a lot of reading on this and it looks like to get the 1M DME code to work I need to flash the 1M ZB file to my DME, then grab the bin of it via MHD and edit the bin in tunerpro to change byte 4C9C8 (or whatever the IKM0S byte equivalent is, still reading!!) to that of my IJE0S 4C9C8 byte. Then reflash that bin back to my car via MHD and it will work. Does this sound about right?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I've been doing a lot of reading on this and it looks like to get the 1M DME code to work I need to flash the 1M ZB file to my DME, then grab the bin of it via MHD and edit the bin in tunerpro to change byte 4C9C8 (or whatever the IKM0S byte equivalent is, still reading!!) to that of my IJE0S 4C9C8 byte. Then reflash that bin back to my car via MHD and it will work. Does this sound about right?

This will not work, as there is more than just the "PPK" (IJE0S byte) protection here. That byte enabled an IJE0S -> IJE0S PPK flash. You want to do an IJE0S -> IKM0S switch.

Like I said, I have done this and will gladly flash it for you.

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
This will not work, as there is more than just the "PPK" (IJE0S byte) protection here. That byte enabled an IJE0S -> IJE0S PPK flash. You want to do an IJE0S -> IKM0S switch.

Like I said, I have done this and will gladly flash it for you.
I appreciate this! How should we proceed then, should I schedule some time to head up to Philly and meet you?

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
well now, this just makes no sense...

So looking up the current ZBnr that's installed on my DME via the kmm_ATSH file I get:
Code:
WB73;205&2TC&-DIRU&-KNIC&-KDD2&-NPOW;0803510-0803540
which is for an e92 335i!? http://www.bmwarchive.org/code/wb73.html o_O

My car, from what I gathered by looking up the vin and matching the options with the model numbers in kmm_ATSH, should be something like:
Code:
UC73|UN93;205&7XA;0712500-1006501
How in the world did I get an e92 335i DME coded on my car!? I've had this car since new and am the only own who's flashed anything to it outside of the dealer, but then how the hell did the dealer flash an e92 DME zb to my e88? :confused:

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
an update: I have not flashed my car with the 1M tune and have abandoned that course for the time being. I did however flash the PPK tune and thanks to @trebila and his awesome help, I have his custom e85 tune running on top of the PPK tune for my car. We did discover that I have a minor boost leak thanks to the hotside charge pipes being melted coming off the front turbo (I've had nothing but issues with these!! I've heat wrapped the OEM pipes and say "good riddance to you sir!" towards the silicone ones, meh). I can honestly say, that even WITH the boost leak, low end power and torque was just amazing! Very little turbo lag and all around, a really dope marrying of DME tunes IMO!

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
an update: I have not flashed my car with the 1M tune and have abandoned that course for the time being. I did however flash the PPK tune and thanks to @trebila and his awesome help, I have his custom e85 tune running on top of the PPK tune for my car. We did discover that I have a minor boost leak thanks to the hotside charge pipes being melted coming off the front turbo (I've had nothing but issues with these!! I've heat wrapped the OEM pipes and say "good riddance to you sir!" towards the silicone ones, meh). I can honestly say, that even WITH the boost leak, low end power and torque was just amazing! Very little turbo lag and all around, a really dope marrying of DME tunes IMO!

Let me know when you are ready to get those gauges working with IK :)

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

So what is the point of putting a PPK tune on the car exactly instead of just a normal custom tune?

Reactions: Levanime

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
So what is the point of putting a PPK tune on the car exactly instead of just a normal custom tune?

There's not really a point IMO. A few tables are believed to have been "improved" by the factory. The main differences are in the PID control for boost, which you can just copy to any bin. Out of the undefined tables, I went through and defined most of the differences out of personal curiosity (between IJE0S and PPK, and also INA0S vs. INA0S_IS) and honestly nothing was really noteworthy or even worth publishing.

• Informative

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
There's not really a point IMO. A few tables are believed to have been "improved" by the factory. The main differences are in the PID control for boost, which you can just copy to any bin. Out of the undefined tables, I went through and defined most of the differences out of personal curiosity (between IJE0S and PPK, and also INA0S vs. INA0S_IS) and honestly nothing was really noteworthy or even worth publishing.

The two main things I got from it was:
1. Exhaust Burbles & Pops (sporty sound while being less annoying than the MHD ones)
2. Early Turbo Spool up (It's a theory but the PPK tune brings a little more torque to the low end. My car definitely "feels" more torque-y on the low end, but I have no definitive data to back this up...yet.)

I'm just playing around with different options as of now. I'm trying to see what is possible via coding considering it literally costs me nothing to do it (just time). I'm still open to the 1M IK tune, just don't have much time now as my summer weekends are busy with family related activities.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Once again I'd have to ask, what would you gain by switching to the 1M tune? I know they've done a few things differently, just curious what the benefits are.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. One (small and nerdy) advantage is that you could in theory activate M dynamic mode in your CIC and control how aggressive the tune was on the fly and without re-flashing.

I have the menu enabled in my car and id love to have it... can anyone help me flash 1M on my 335i DCT ??

@jyamona is this something that's easily done ?

Last edited:
Reactions: rhodesman

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Ive been told by @RSL that by saving the 1M bin to the file location where MHD stores the stock BIN and renaming the 1M bin the same name as the stock back up that asking MHD to flash back to stock it will flash the car.

@RSL have you done this to your own car yourself or ... WHats the deal here ?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
You don't need to do that, you can just flash a custom map and pick a 1M bin. But you'll get a few nasty codes, one of which keeps load limited to 60ish and sometimes shuts the car off :)

This is where I come in.

• Funny

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Ive been told by @RSL that by saving the 1M bin to the file location where MHD stores the stock BIN and renaming the 1M bin the same name as the stock back up that asking MHD to flash back to stock it will flash the car.

@RSL have you done this to your own car yourself or ... WHats the deal here ?
No, what Jake said. You were asking for a way to flash it or I was reading that too literally. Flashing it doesn't mean it will work as expected. As a matter of fact, I had PM'd Jake about testing IKM0S on my 335is during the M3 GSW conversion thread. I have my stock 2.5 bar TMAP waiting to go back in and haven't heard or asked more about it since because he's a busy guy :)

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
You don't need to do that, you can just flash a custom map and pick a 1M bin. But you'll get a few nasty codes, one of which keeps load limited to 60ish and sometimes shuts the car off :)

This is where I come in.

Wait, so I should be able to test my M mode settings etc by just doing a quick flash to IKM0S then? No need to start the car, just power everything on and if the CIC MDrive settings are functional then we know everything is good?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Wait, so I should be able to test my M mode settings etc by just doing a quick flash to IKM0S then? No need to start the car, just power everything on and if the CIC MDrive settings are functional then we know everything is good?

Not sure, the codes are set the second of IGN on. You can try, but if it doesn't work I wouldn't chalk it up to a failure, since it could be flags set in the DME preventing it from working.