Has anyone fitted an oil accumulator to an N54?

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
I don't think their are any starvation issues with our pan design for accel in either direction. Also starvation is mainly an issue which happens on r comp and long high g turns.

When I first looked at the pan I said the same thing "how the hell would oil slosh out of there?" Well, when oil is at temperature, a 1g load results in oil pushing up the side of the pan at a 45* angle... try to visualize that... Put some

You can spike 1.3-1.5g's with 200tw street tires and hold steady state .9-1.1g's in long sweepers if the car is set up well. Then consider that the issue isn't just oil sloshing out of the pan (which is what a baffle helps prevent)... the issue is that braking and turning lasts for several seconds which means that oil is dropping back down to the FRONT of the pan instead of the rear... the forward g-force and cornering force prevents the oil from flowing back down into the rear oil sump (where the pickup is). On a stock pan, gravity (the engine sits higher in the front than the rear) and acceleration G's are the only thing that make oil drain back into the rear sump.

Acceleration g's result in oil flowing towards the rear of the pan and down into the sump so it's not so much an issue, but, braking is definitely an issue... especially when combined with turning ( think trail-braking with the car pitched forward in roll). That is why BMW puts a second oil pump, and dual oil pickups, at the front of the pan to pump the oil back to the rear oil sump.

Last edited:

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
I considered it, but ended up with a baffled oil pan. In fact, the one developed for my car (by RRT Racing) was then used by VAC as a prototype for their design.

Neil

How much track time do you have with your pan?
I know you visit the track a lot

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Starvation is absolutely a problem with the stock pan on road course if going fast enough.
I'm responding to saying side to side isnt enough when I rec dual pickups with a flapper type pendulum setup . I absolutely believe their are starvation issues I just dont think straight line is issue

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
When I first looked at the pan I said the same thing "how the hell would oil slosh out of there?" Well, when oil is at temperature, a 1g load results in oil pushing up the side of the pan at a 45* angle... try to visualize that... Put some

You can spike 1.3-1.5g's with 200tw street tires and hold steady state .9-1.1g's in long sweepers if the car is set up well. Then consider that the issue isn't just oil sloshing out of the pan (which is what a baffle helps prevent)... the issue is that braking and turning lasts for several seconds which means that oil is dropping back down to the FRONT of the pan instead of the rear... the forward g-force and cornering force prevents the oil from flowing back down into the rear oil sump (where the pickup is). On a stock pan, gravity (the engine sits higher in the front than the rear) and acceleration G's are the only thing that make oil drain back into the rear sump.

Acceleration g's result in oil flowing towards the rear of the pan and down into the sump so it's not so much an issue, but, braking is definitely an issue... especially when combined with turning ( think trail-braking with the car pitched forward in roll). That is why BMW puts a second oil pump, and dual oil pickups, at the front of the pan to pump the oil back to the rear oil sump.
I wasn't aware of during braking but I was saying sweepers and turns could be rectified with a dual pickup and a weighted flapper setup.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
I wasn't aware of during braking but I was saying sweepers and turns could be rectified with a dual pickup and a weighted flapper setup.

Is there any setup like that out there? The issue I see would be keeping the pickup from sucking up air... that "weighted flapper setup" would need to operate 100% perfect to ensure air would never be picked up as oil sloshed to one side or the other.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
The flapper seemed like best thing I could think of so far just brainstorming. I figure if both are open when at rest is best so that if you bank the opposite one would close and the suction would hold it shut then after you would gaurantee it to reopen if the other side loses suction. Basically would have to be two separate flapper style valves.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Maybe an individual one set in a y could work like a pressure switch. The side with suction would pull it shut that way. I was trying to think of simple mechanical way of doing this like a reverse check valve.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Is there any setup like that out there? The issue I see would be keeping the pickup from sucking up air... that "weighted flapper setup" would need to operate 100% perfect to ensure air would never be picked up as oil sloshed to one side or the other.
Mopar uses a swinging pickup.

Reactions: Bnks334

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
Got my fittings and AN line today. This assembly will replace the AN line from the thermo to the oil return with the right side plumbed to the accumulator.

Attachments

• C5C40974-21AC-467B-A551-B52F515BFB41.jpeg
    C5C40974-21AC-467B-A551-B52F515BFB41.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 146

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Got my fittings and AN line today. This assembly will replace the AN line from the thermo to the oil return with the right side plumbed to the accumulator.

Whever you put the accumulator, make sure you wrap something around the blowoff valve once it's in use. Mine blew off a small amount of oil for some reason. Luckily it was pointed at the wheels fender liner so not too much mess...

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
Whever you put the accumulator, make sure you wrap something around the blowoff valve once it's in use. Mine blew off a small amount of oil for some reason. Luckily it was pointed at the wheels fender liner so not too much mess...
What? The BOV on your charge pipe? Wait, you have a n55. Does your accumulator have a blow off valve?

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
What? The BOV on your charge pipe? Wait, you have a n55. Does your accumulator have a blow off valve?

Yeah the Accusump has a pressure relieve valve. Maybe the morroso doesn't? Just wanted to warn you in case you strap it inside your car or something and don't think it will ever vent like I did lol

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
Yeah the Accusump has a pressure relieve valve. Maybe the morroso doesn't? Just wanted to warn you in case you strap it inside your car or something and don't think it will ever vent like I did lol
I don’t think it does. It has a pressure relief valve on the oil side? That’s strange.

Edit— yeah, I see the pressure relief valve on the canton. The Moroso doesn’t have that.

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
I don’t think it does. It has a pressure relief valve on the oil side? That’s strange.

Edit— yeah, I see the pressure relief valve on the canton. The Moroso doesn’t have that.
After thinking about this, I can see the case where the relief valve is needed. The electric switches operated off a pressure sensor only open at a certain pressure, but always allow the accumulator to be filled. So if you have a switch failure, you could keep pressurizing the accumulator without it releasing. But I think I read the relief valve is calibrated at like 175 psi, so it probably shouldn’t activate unless there was something pretty wrong going on.

I’m not going to use a pressure activated switch.