"guru" autowerks awd 6hp28 transmission adapter kit review

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Maybe I should start off by saying nobody should be buying anything from anyone who goes by the name autowerks. Nonetheless calling himself a "guru" noon or newb is way more appropriate. Idk where should I start, I've installed alot of different single turbo kits from jpnoworkz , bottom mounts, top mounts and stock manifold kits. None with the level of customization and frustration that I experienced with this "kit". I'll wait to get to the good part and slowly build up the suspense, so for starters you may as well kiss the option of using your stock driveshaft goodbye ol buddy didn't even bother to think that the extra inch would have an affect squishing the driveshaft hard back into the differential and having to completely re mount the driveshaft drilling and tapping new threads, ok fine thats easy enough. Second the instructions were so vauge they were basically useless and no help what so ever, nor was "guru"( gonna refer to him as noob for the rest of the write up). Thirdly his homemade transmission mount fell apart in about a week and going along with the no instructions theme didn't specify which orientation it needed to be installed in, (if your dumb enough to buy this kit just go with a brand new oem mount). Fourthly the noob had nobody lined up to do the coding for the 6hp28 swap and had nothing lined up with xhp so I had to use the coder I use for my dme re coding, which I didn't have an issue with but i thought it was super unprofessional on the noobs part not to have these things ironed out prior to releasing a "kit". Lastly and probably the most important part for a awd car is being able to actually use the front 2 wheels, which you would be completely incapable of if I didn't make massive modifications to the adapter plate as seen in the pictures provided. Which the noob was apparent shocked at. He offered me shitty solutions like well you can send me the plate back and I can figure it out . Fuck no the car is in my shop already taking up way more time installing you poorly designed kit and I didn't have time to wait another week between shipping and waiting on his sloth ass . Then he's like well you can cut it , no shit Sherlock what other options do I have. Then now he wants the plate back so he can steal my intellectual property. Lol not without a lawsuit coming your way noobautowerks. Finally his poor choice in an lines I personally hate pfte stainless steel braided lines, if you've ever worked with them you know what a pain in the ass they can be. But I geuss making bulk orders of the cheapest shit you can find on alibaba is better for the bottom line. All in all if your looking for a awd transmission upgrade or even a rwd upgrade there's so many better options. #1 for rwd there's the zf45 and 50 that both come in rwd and awd and are a much better transmission capable of holding more power in stock form and the dct is a great more cost effective option than this kit. Manual will always be king in my book but some don't like driving manuals these days I guess. Take if from a guy that works in bmws for a living and avoid this kit and this awful vendor

Attachments

• Snapchat-1638334122.jpg
    Snapchat-1638334122.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Snapchat-316128781.jpg
    Snapchat-316128781.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Snapchat-1449406042.jpg
    Snapchat-1449406042.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Funny, when you showed me those pics before I wondered to myself how that kit addressed the width of the adapter plate for the drive shaft engagement at the rear end. Sounds like the answer was it didn't.
Yes the driveshaft is pushed about 3/4 - 1inch back and has no room to expand or compress like it needs to on a hard launch. Kit wasn't thought out for awd at all. Just slapped together and sent out

Reactions: wheela

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Yes the driveshaft is pushed about 3/4 - 1inch back and has no room to expand or compress like it needs to on a hard launch. Kit wasn't thought out for awd at all. Just slapped together and sent out
Well, as you said, a kit (IMO) should bolt up and have all parts on hand to make things go as intended. Even a single turbo KIT, comes with a downpipe that bolts to factory exhaust.
This is more like dropping in headers on a V8. You have to have the exhaust redone to fit and make it work. Far from a kit, and they are not labeled as such. It is drop in and you figure out the rest.
This trans fuckery should not be labeled as a "Kit".
Don't get me started on the PTFE stuff from China.
All I will say is the first and LAST time I ever dealt with PR was over one of these lines.

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Whats the problem so shorten the drive shaft, you do it with every gearbox conversion and not every car is the same.

The hp28 is a stronger box then anything you mentioned and with xhp easily holding up to a 1000nm as diesels make than easily
and thats where these boxes are found.

Yes you want quicker shifts with lower power go for a 8hp no brainer, but if your building a big hp drivetrain hp28 is the only answer.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Whats the problem so shorten the drive shaft, you do it with every gearbox conversion and not every car is the same.

The hp28 is a stronger box then anything you mentioned and with xhp easily holding up to a 1000nm as diesels make than easily
and thats where these boxes are found.

Yes you want quicker shifts with lower power go for a 8hp no brainer, but if your building a big hp drivetrain hp28 is the only answer.
I'm not shortening shit. That wasn't specified as a requirement in the kit

Reactions: RNM

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Well, as you said, a kit (IMO) should bolt up and have all parts on hand to make things go as intended. Even a single turbo KIT, comes with a downpipe that bolts to factory exhaust.
This is more like dropping in headers on a V8. You have to have the exhaust redone to fit and make it work. Far from a kit, and they are not labeled as such. It is drop in and you figure out the rest.
This trans fuckery should no be labeled as a "Kit".
Don't get me started on the PTFE stuff from China.
All I will say is the first and LAST time I ever dealt with PR was over one of these lines.
Yeah I couldn't agree more it was a nightmare to deal with i will never install another nor recommend it to anyone I like .

• Dumb
Reactions: martymil

Scorpstan

Corporal
Feb 27, 2017
Ride
335i
next time you know....

Attachments

• 20220529_143015.jpg
    20220529_143015.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 20220529_143005.jpg
    20220529_143005.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: RuskiRacer

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I'm not shortening shit. That wasn't specified as a requirement in the kit

Because its common knowledge with any gearbox conversion.

How many turbo kits I done and nothing is drop in and heaps of short cuts where taken by manufacturers
to get them out the door, most are chinese shit to suit tight arses that don't want to pay.

When you make kits like mine and guaranteed to fit 100% or your money back but cost almost double of competitors, then you get guys that like to cry its too expensive.

You cant have everything and if life gives you lemons make lemonade.

This is the best and most cost effective gearbox solution for the n54 and less than 1/2 the price of anything else and if
you have to make some mods, live with it and document it and its still way cheaper and better than anything else.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Because its common knowledge with any gearbox conversion.

How many turbo kits I done and nothing is drop in and heaps of short cuts where taken by manufacturers
to get them out the door, most are chinese shit to suit tight arses that don't want to pay.

When you make kits like mine and guaranteed to fit 100% or your money back but cost almost double of competitors, then you get guys that like to cry its too expensive.

You cant have everything and if life gives you lemons make lemonade.

This is the best and most cost effective gearbox solution for the n54 and less than 1/2 the price of anything else and if
you have to make some mods, live with it and document it and its still way cheaper and better than anything else.
Does your N54 make lemonade if you feed it lemons?

• Funny
Reactions: Torgus and fmorelli

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
@RuskiRacer if you work in BMW in what way, can't be a mechanic as your not much of one.

Complaining about shortening a shaft to suit and a plate that needs a bit of finessing to fit.

Don't like the lines he supplied then return them and make your own LOL.

This is all a part of doing conversions and if you can't wrap your small brain around it then leave it to the big boys
so you can just pay to have it done for you, stop your whining like a pubescent child roll your sleeves up and get it done.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
@RuskiRacer if you work in BMW in what way, can't be a mechanic as your not much of one.

Complaining about shortening a shaft to suit and a plate that needs a bit of finessing to fit.

This is all a part of doing conversions and if you can't wrap your small brain around it then leave it to the big boys
so you can just pay to have it done for you, stop your whining like a pubescent child roll your sleeves up and get it done.
Marty go kick rocks your not a mechanic at all. This my review of how shitty a kit it is. Of course I can shorten the driveshaft but it wasn't ever mentioned

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus and SlowE93

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i

Lol I am the big boy in this situation I made a kit that was absolutely rubbish and I turned it into a kit that works fine. Maybe noobautowerks shouldn't be charging 2500 for the biggest joke of a "kit" I've ever installed