FRM3 Footwell Module Servicing

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Hi all, been having some intermittent issues with the Z lately, it starts with all the dash warning lights turning on along with the wipers which then refuse to switch of. I still have control of the lights (I think) and windows, but the roof and e brake don't work either and the other day I saw the lights turn on and stay on causing me to disconnect the battery to do a reset. I am planning on pulling the module and sending it for a service, but I need to be sure that it really is the cause. I did a scan which showed an error but didn't give any specifics, anyone have any experience with this issue??

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Could be many not necessarily obvious issues..may not be a FRM…see this video on diagnosing canbus issues…

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Thanks, sooo much! my car is exhibiting the same exact symptoms as the one in the video! Hope it's just a fuse too! 🤞

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Hopefully..I think the key point is a minor fault in one location can ‘throw’ faults elsewhere…👌

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Hi, module sent for servicing, provider stated that there was no issue with the module. I am now looking at the junction box or BCM module next as the rear windows (which are controlled by the BCM) had stopped functioning.

Last edited:

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
For information, it turns out that the original source of my problems was an unregistered and uncoded lead acid battery (installed by previous owner!) which eventually failed after two days ownership as I was on the way to get it changed! I did replace it with an AGM battery which was properly coded and registered but it seems like the damage had already been done! This battery also proved problematic as the intermittent "crazy ass" behavior persisted. I eventually replaced the battery with a proper spec VARTA one along with the BCM and CAS modules and have had no issues since.