Frankenturbo pinned thread

Richardlance

Sep 13, 2018
Ride
08 e90 335i
Uh you dont break in a turbo. And yeah type of miles count. Hence why the old saying goes "high way miles are better than city miles on an engine". Constant wot pulls at 150k+ rpms is harder on the turbo than just cruising.

And by no means do I "baby" my car. She gets abused like a red headed step child.

Its the opposite though if you are breaking in a new motor, varying low rpm reduces uneven wear.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
S
You can ask 20 different people, they will give you 20 different answers.

Me personally, believe in the motoman method in breaking in motors. Break in the motor how you plan to drive it. But that is another can of worms.

Are you letting the engine warm up in the driveway? Not savaging it on cold oil I hope.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I don't even know what the desktop version of this site looks like.
Imagine an ocean so crystal clear, the blue water almost looks backlit. Waves swell gently to white sand beach, which glitters from the quartz in the sand bed. Of course, lots of girls in bikinis. Now you know about the desktop version.

Filippo

Last edited:

KevinC39

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Exactly and I always go back within an hour or two and edit. I just post stuff when I think of it.
Also it isn't an excuse its just what happens ,I spend my whole day 6 days a week driving around my state from job to job selling and monitoring while also sometimes doing some work myself. I don't even know what the desktop version of this site looks like.

I have a new idea, how about watching the road instead of reading forum posts? Save it for when you get home and aren't endangering people.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I agree with your first paragraph. but 200 miles is not nearly enough to be making any kind of statement about the reliability of these turbos. Even when pushed hard.
Well ... if someone only ever plans to drive it 200 miles ... it does lol.

Filippo

• Funny
Reactions: veer90 and KevinC39

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I have a new idea, how about watching the road instead of reading forum posts? Save it for when you get home and aren't endangering people.
I have an idea I'll keep doing what I do when I am sitting in traffic or mindlessly driving with adaptive cruise control and lane assist on and we agree to disagree btw 17yrs and ive only been rear ended or lost it sideways into curb and one street sign so I have hit 2 things myself and that was 15yrs ago and i was rear ended 12yrs stopped at a crosswalk I think im doing good. I'll PM you a shot of my geico claims page if you'd like ive had them for 13yrs

• Funny
Reactions: veer90

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
www.spoolnmotorsports.com
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
I have an idea I'll keep doing what I do when I am sitting in traffic or mindlessly driving with adaptive cruise control and lane assist on and we agree to disagree btw 17yrs and ive only been rear ended or lost it sideways into curb and one street sign so I have hit 2 things myself and that was 15yrs ago and i was rear ended 12yrs stopped at a crosswalk I think im doing good. I'll PM you a shot of my geico claims page if you'd like ive had them for 13yrs

Bro, no need to prove yourself. Who gives af what others think

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Uh you dont break in a turbo. And yeah type of miles count. Hence why the old saying goes "high way miles are better than city miles on an engine". Constant wot pulls at 150k+ rpms is harder on the turbo than just cruising.

And by no means do I "baby" my car. She gets abused like a red headed step child.
I figured since beta your supposed to try to hurt them and I always thought you were supposed to be easy for first hundred miles but I guess I was wrong

Last edited:

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
www.spoolnmotorsports.com
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
I figured since beta your supposed to try to hurt them I always thought you were supposed to be easy for first hundred miles

Yes beta you want to find the flaws basically. But as for any turbocharger, there is no break-in. We break in motors because of the rings need to be seated, we break in clutches so the friction material is bedded correctly.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Bro, no need to prove yourself. Who gives af what others think
Your right but apparently he has an issue since he has complained multiple times for some reason. Usually I could care less but being accused of endangering people gets me. I have 2 kids that were in car when a woman under influence hit my wife at a stop sign and my cousin is paralyzed for life cause a drunk driver so when people get on high horse throwing accusations like that around it gets a response from me when I should just ignore it.

Last edited:

KevinC39

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
So you yourself have experienced the consequences of impaired driving yet you do it too? That's even more mind blowing. I figured with everything that has happened to your family that you would actually be on my side and not be someone that reads/texts and drives. I'm sorry about what happened to your cousin. That's awful but I'm glad to hear the wife and kids are alright .

Anyways, that's the last post from me on it.

Reactions: Lurcher

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT

Please, post it. Make sure to include your full legal name and policy number so I can show them their customer admitting to habitual distracted driving :kissingheart:

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Honestly speaking the more you do something while driving the better you get at it. When you 1st start txting and driving you are more of a danger than when you have been doing it for years and trained yourself to look up at the road every second vs. getting sucked into the screen on your phone for 10 seconds at a time. Same with watching netflix or driving drunk.

Not that I condone or suggest people do any of these things but the more you do them the better you get at them. I know some may disagree, this is just what I have observed in my life.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
You know what I shouldn't use phone in car. Point is I try be safe I use vtt and usually do it in traffic never really in my e92 either. But honestly if me taking an hour two punctuate really bothers I don't know what to say. Wouldn't it be better to ignore the post instead of derailing every time I don't use a period. Also a screen shot of my claims page wouldnt have anything personal posted it's just you used to be able to believe most of what you read on n54 forums back in 08. Now you have to search through bs LIKE me defending my TEMP grammar on a turbo thread.
And like torgus said not all txt while driving is equal sitting in traffic or on a straight road by yourself with a car that half drives itself is very diff from speeding around city streets. Same as doing nails while driving is a prob but handing your kid his sippy cup is not so bad meanwhile both are illegal.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Honestly speaking the more you do something while driving the better you get at it. When you 1st start txting and driving you are more of a danger than when you have been doing it for years and trained yourself to look up at the road every second vs. getting sucked into the screen on your phone for 10 seconds at a time. Same with watching netflix or driving drunk.

Not that I condone or suggest people do any of these things but the more you do them the better you get at them. I know some may disagree, this is just what I have observed in my life.
Now imagine what truckers do for 11hrs of driving....talk, text, watch tv, eat, jenga, etc lol.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus