Found some Issues From My Single Turbo Kit

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
So i want to start off by saying i take pride in my own car.i keep it very clean and perform maint twice a year.I normally do all my own work on my car E90 335i.Its so clean as when i brought my car to get the ACF top mount Single turbo installed,it was on the lift and they couldn't believe how spotless the underneath and engine was.No oil leaks anywhere from a 2008 with 48,000 plus miles(Original Owner).Now i know i could of done the single turbo install myself but i would have done it on the ground,no lift and would of been a pain in the arse so i shopped around for a installer.Went with a company that had a lot of experience(supposedly) on single Turbo installs.After talking with the owner i felt comfortable to have them do the work.install was done last july.I did notice some oil residue on the return then.Since then till now only drove it about 2000 miles.So since it was nice weather today i decided to see whats going on.Well i found from looking with a mirror a bolt missing for turbo and what looks like oil leaking from threads on return.Also notice they used tephlon tape on flare part.Also rubbing on dump tube.When i see this this pisses me off.these are the reasons why i do it myself because i know its done right then.Also the ceramic coating is peeling(waste of money spent their).Also found the downpipe ceramic coating peeling bad,that i will just use the DEI Titanium wrap over the ceramic coating.Question is do i bring car back to have shop repair these issues or do i dont say anything and do it myself.
20180331_141115.jpg
20180331_141057.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: doublespaces

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
the bolt thats missing,would it be a issue with it missing and me driving the car?Also do you guys use tephlon tape on the flare side?Im afraid of the tape getting into the oil.

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
Ahh man, I'm sorry to hear. The bolt on the compressor side that is missing is fine, it is sealed by an O ring. I would recommend getting one soon.

That bolt is hard because of the drain flange, it's the first bolt that needs to go on with the compressor cover clocked. One the bolt is on and clears the drain flange, you clock the compressor cover to the correct orientation and add the rest of the bolts on the cover and tighten.

For the oil drain, yes. There shouldn't be any teflon tape on any AN Flared sides, only on the NPT sides.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
you think i can go to home depot and match up one?or should get one from Precision,Are you suppose to use locktite on those bolts?Also in picture the oil drain is hitting the bolt from dump tube that has to addressed too.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Make sure that aluminum fitting with the tef tape on it goes in the trash. Those housing bolts can be a headache. Best to have the the turby assembled prior to mounting if possible.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
After digging little deeper found both waste gates with no tephlon on connection on one if them each port.the one in front I can redo but the one in back looks like I'll have to remove downpipe. How critical is it without tape?I'll redo the one under downpipe when I wrap it but won't be till weather here in Jersey is warmer.
20180401_181320.jpg
20180401_180842.jpg

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Just as you touched on, this is why it's best to just handle things yourselves, especially if you're particular about your vehicle (which most of us are).

The fact that the bolt is missing is pretty telling--let's just hope they didn't leave other things out they couldn't get to fit. That is one of the harder to reach bolts of the entire project, and the components around it have to be situated correctly. Just had to remove/re-install the same one when changing o2 sensors recently on my VM kit.

I found the trick to be shaving down a 1/2 open end wrench with my angle grinder so that it was extremely thin in order to fit. Then going an 1/8th of a rotation at a time, and staying patient, it will eventually tighten fully. All credit to the Budget Bimmers guys there, worked perfectly for that bolt.

NZQJIdS.png

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
Just as you touched on, this is why it's best to just handle things yourselves, especially if you're particular about your vehicle (which most of us are).

The fact that the bolt is missing is pretty telling--let's just hope they didn't leave other things out they couldn't get to fit. That is one of the harder to reach bolts of the entire project, and the components around it have to be situated correctly. Just had to remove/re-install the same one when changing o2 sensors recently on my VM kit.

I found the trick to be shaving down a 1/2 open end wrench with my angle grinder so that it was extremely thin in order to fit. Then going an 1/8th of a rotation at a time, and staying patient, it will eventually tighten fully. All credit to the Budget Bimmers guys there, worked perfectly for that bolt.

NZQJIdS.png
Yeah.gonna do it all myself.it all be no problem.just leaves a bad taste after spending all that money on install on shotty work.as much as I would like to say the popular company in the N54 world,who installed the kit,think I might be best not to.he did post my install last year here,I won't go any farther then that.
So was thinking on using this bolt instead,anyone think this is a No,no?use a hex and would fit easier,gonna have to cut it down.i marked it where it needs to be cut.i also bought a hex version to Incase this isn't recommended.
image.jpeg

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Bolt can be from home depot. 5/16” 18 bolt. The clamp will need to be clocked to clear the drain line.

Most of the fasteners at Home Desperate are not stainless. They are zinc plated steel. It is generally easier to just order your replacement fastener from McMaster Carr. You can ensure you're getting a quality piece and not some Chinese garbage made from low quality steel and zinc plated to look pretty.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Most of the fasteners at Home Desperate are not stainless. They are zinc plated steel. It is generally easier to just order your replacement fastener from McMaster Carr. You can ensure you're getting a quality piece and not some Chinese garbage made from low quality steel and zinc plated to look pretty.
I'm pretty sure the stuff that is sold as stainless is stainless (now, which stainless formulation is up for grabs). Home Desperate is not where I go - I find Lowes or a good Ace Hardware (note they are franchise-based, so vary) is a better bet if shopping locally.

Filippo

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I'm pretty sure the stuff that is sold as stainless is stainless (now, which stainless formulation is up for grabs). Home Desperate is not where I go - I find Lowes or a good Ace Hardware (note they are franchise-based, so vary) is a better bet if shopping locally.

Filippo

The majority of their offerings are zinc plated. You have to look for the stainless and pay attention, it's easy to mistake it. Even if it is SS like you pointed out....what's the quality of it?

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Interested to hear your feedback on that bolt if you decide to go with the allen key bolt. In theory it might be easier, but things get tight down there quickly. Getting an allen wrench down in there might not be as easy as you'd think.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
The majority of their offerings are zinc plated. You have to look for the stainless and pay attention, it's easy to mistake it. Even if it is SS like you pointed out....what's the quality of it?
They have a speciality bin with stainless ... but Home Desparate is small (and often missing sizes). Our Lowes (east cost thing out of NC) does much better, as does Ace in my experience. Frankly Amazon has made life easy. I'm willing to wait 1-day for delivery ... store is 30 minutes from home ... let's see that's 50 mile round trip and an 75 minutes of time ... sure I'll pay shipping and wait a day :)

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: langsbr

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
Making some good progress.redid drain return.now has tephlon tape unlike before it had none and was only screwed in by 2 threads only lol,that's why i was getting alot of oil leaking.also redid both front clamps for tial mvs to clear the drain line.also redid front an fitting with tephlon tape now.the only thing left is to take the downpipe out to redo the tial mvs threads.also came up with a idea on getting that hex screw on in that tight area at bottom by oil drain.used a thin walled cheap 1/2" open wrench and cut it in half.then used a long 5/16 nut driver as leverage to tighten it.
20180406_195322.jpg