(Fixed)Voltage fluctuations

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
I started getting some odd codes. Just random codes with no issues. So I'm thinking it's voltage related. I checked my alternator output and it's fluctuating between 12.4v and 13.4v. The car is supposed to have 14.1volts.

Is the regulator bad or the alternator?

Thanks.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Are you sure the car is coded for the battery age?
Yeah. I reset the battery adaptation and set it for what I have to make sure.

Just doing that and the odd codes stopped.

I still put a new Bosch regulator in today. Made a huge difference. No voltage fluctuations and holds steady at 14.2 volts.

The old regulator wasn't even branded and no part numbers on it. Poorly made. All plastic housing and the brushes were extensively worn.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Yeah. I reset the battery adaptation and set it for what I have to make sure.

Just doing that and the odd codes stopped.

I still put a new Bosch regulator in today. Made a huge difference. No voltage fluctuations and holds steady at 14.2 volts.

The old regulator wasn't even branded and no part numbers on it. Poorly made. All plastic housing and the brushes were extensively worn.

Oh snap, I have read about these kinds of issues. How bad was the install?

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Oh snap, I have read about these kinds of issues. How bad was the install?
Super easy. 10 minutes and 50 bucks for the part from fcp euro. Do it. Peace of mind.

If you have DCI's you just pop the front cone off to access the back of the alternator.

So... obviously disconnect the power line to the alternator. I put a rubber glove over it and layed it to the side. You may want to just disconnect your battery if your not comfortable doing that.

Take out three T20 screws from the back alternator cover and remove the cover. Be aware the area your working in is a black hole for little screws and torx bits.

Then there are four T20 screws holding the voltage regulator on. Remove those, pop it out and disconnect it from the wire harness.

Then install your new one..... put it all back together....etc etc.