ECU opening carnage

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
After a soak with IPA (others were suggested but would not be PCB safe, not that that matters when you see the carnage) this MEVD172G that was already ruined from water damage when I got it was opened, after persuasion with ever increasing force culminating in the 300kg workbench and I moving across the floor. Already at that point bending of the board resulted in the glorious TC1797 pinging itself off the board and landing a metre away. It was 10 minutes after that the grip on the capacitors or the capacitors themselves yielded. There was nothing to lever against. The board broke before the inaccessible capacitors yielded, the one right in the middle of the board remaining in the case well beyond breaking strength of the board. Difficulty 11/10. Opening the back of these 1/10. Enjoy the carnage.

There is nothing interesting on the back of the board, but now I know that :)
6.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Haha, reminds me of when I tried to remove an E60 KGM from its case so I could solder on some wires easier to the pins. I just about shredded that thing trying to get it open.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Damn. Think you could map out some of those transistors such as injectors, coils, wastegate, power supply etc?

Wait did you legit like pry the connectors off the pads there? Lol savage.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
I tried tracing a few things, such as the route of an analog input that was going to be used for ethanol content input, but that got lost in a Bosch chip for which no datasheet was available before reaching the Tricore.

The most interesting thing of all is the SOIC-8 pad for a CAN bus transceiver (for a dedicated 1MBps development channel), although that is on the side of the board you can easily get to when opening these "normally". I ordered the transceiver, but have not got around to fitting it just in case I mess it up and kill a DME I'm still actively testing on.

The replacement I ordered after getting a refund for this water damaged one that the seller didn't want back has been working well :)