E92 335i OEM M3 Conversion.

Deadlocked

Lurker
Nov 5, 2016
Has anyone done a FULL completely OEM M3 conversion? I don't mean wider quarters or anything. I mean a FULLY OEM spec exterior M3 conversion to an E92 335i? I know the chassis is the same. All front M3 parts will swap right over. I know for the rear QP they need to be welded on. So has ANYONE does this? I would like to see some pictures/build thread if anyone can link me?

I plan on doing this in the very near future. A complete OEM M3 conversion. Some people will ask "why not buy an M3" or "why not buy a rolling chassis" The answers to both those questions are simply. I would like to keep and build the almighty N54 as the heart of the car. The S65 is slow and has no torque. And a rolling chassis is hard to find and if I were to find one all the suspension components would have thousands of miles of wear.

I will be creating a build thread as well.

Any thoughts/plans/ideas?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
This has been done numerous times and is well documented on e90post if you search over there. Visual stuff and marketplace are the two areas we’re still trailing on with this site.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Visual stuff and marketplace are the two areas we’re still trailing on with this site.

Agree.

Has anyone done a FULL completely OEM M3 conversion? I don't mean wider quarters or anything. I mean a FULLY OEM spec exterior M3 conversion to an E92 335i? I know the chassis is the same. All front M3 parts will swap right over. I know for the rear QP they need to be welded on. So has ANYONE does this? I would like to see some pictures/build thread if anyone can link me?

I plan on doing this in the very near future. A complete OEM M3 conversion. Some people will ask "why not buy an M3" or "why not buy a rolling chassis" The answers to both those questions are simply. I would like to keep and build the almighty N54 as the heart of the car. The S65 is slow and has no torque. And a rolling chassis is hard to find and if I were to find one all the suspension components would have thousands of miles of wear.

I will be creating a build thread as well.

Any thoughts/plans/ideas?

I think it is a complete waste of your time and money to make a 335i look like an m3. It's not an m3, be proud of that n54. Trying to make your car into something it is not...I just don't get it.

A supercharged S65 will take down 90% of modified n54s. 650whp @ 8300 rpm and DCT is not slow...

Silent11

Corporal
Oct 31, 2018
Ride
2007 Bmw 335i
Agree.

I think it is a complete waste of your time and money to make a 335i look like an m3. It's not an m3, be proud of that n54. Trying to make your car into something it is not...I just don't get it.

A supercharged S65 will take down 90% of modified n54s. 650whp @ 8300 rpm and DCT is not slow...

and how much does that supercharger cost ??? more than the most expensive single turbo i bet.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
and how much does that supercharger cost ??? more than the most expensive single turbo i bet.
There are many supporting mods needed along with that single turbo. Sure the M costs more, but it is the better car.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Because people get weird when folks want to do an OE widebody, which the M3 has.
I’m not opposed to the M3 panel conversion. I love the oem M body lines and have gone back and forth on it being worth the cost for the past 10 years. My comment was about the idea people that haven’t done it think that going ST is cheap and easy.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I’m not opposed to the M3 panel conversion. I love the oem M body lines and have gone back and forth on it being worth the cost for the past 10 years. My comment was about the idea people that haven’t done it think that going ST is cheap and easy.

Oh yeah that's totally absurd and you're right. Even a hack job is costly in either case. However if you're talking about $1500 C pillar M rear quarters it sounds like the OP might be in tune with how much a true conversion costs. Maybe I'm mistaken .

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I feel like if you are spending money on the rear quarters make it so you can run some really wide tires. Nice and wide.

Edit: no reason to look like an m3. Plenty if decent looking front bumpers + lips etc. If you want to go wide do it.

Last edited:

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I feel like if you are spending money on the rear quarters make it so you can run some really wide tires. Nice and wide.

Edit: no reason to look like an m3. Plenty if decent looking front bumpers + lips etc. If you want to go wide do it.
Yeah. I really like the liberty wall front end, but the rear is just too wide for me and I’m not sold on the shape of the rear either. I really wish we had more options for something a little more subtle and refined.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Cost of entry to the M3 a 2-3x the cost of a 335i. The parts that are an upgrade from the M3 are usually easy to source, otherwise you can go directly to what's an upgrade for the M3 that you would have to do anyway with an M3.

Then there is the problem with the V8 not making any torque, I'm talking Honda S2000 levels of torque. The DCT is questionable, haven't really seen a big power M3s out there.

Superchargers don't work well on high revving engines that don't produce torque, so you are power limited there as well, turbo kits for an M3 cost as much as a 335i itself or double in some cases.

I've thought about looking for an M3 with a blown motor and swapping an N54 in, doesn't seem like it would be too bad.

• Agree
Reactions: Vitan

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Visual stuff and marketplace are the two areas we’re still trailing on with this site.

Sadly, there is only so much I can do about that. I rely on you guys to post some of that up. The site is heavily performance oriented and the structure of the site is a bit more complex than people think when trying to find the best way to mix everything together. There is a delima when choosing between engines, chassis and focusing on what you're audience is interested in and remembering what made you successful. I don't want the N54 section to be three clicks deep into the forum, I want it on the top level. This is the reason why I've made multiple subdomains to ensure what you're interested in is in front of you. But we just need more people who contribute what they've done. Unfortunately, a lot of folks keep it to themselves or on instagram.

Over the last year or so I've been in the process of solving this issue, but again content is needed.

https://www.spoolstreet.com -> Everything
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com
https://bmwm.spoolstreet.com
https://supra.spoolstreet.com

I can get chassis specific, https://e90.spoolstreet.com and this is finally where you open up the possibilities to have a relevant cosmetic section. But I need threads before I promote those URLs. Its a process and forums are generational type things. When you don't benefit from an in house shop name or some other influence, it takes several years to build big communities and catch any momentum. I've basically done all this by brute force and have grown despite the decline of web forums. I attribute a lot of that to old sites not keeping up with technology, creating a bad or subpar experience. This is something which I actively work to mitigate.

It's also important to understand the people interested in their Lux Halos can also be the same people who don't know what kind of oil to use, so there has to be some give and take in order to accommodate everyone.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Sadly, there is only so much I can do about that. I rely on you guys to post some of that up. The site is heavily performance oriented and the structure of the site is a bit more complex than people think when trying to find the best way to mix everything together. There is a delima when choosing between engines, chassis and focusing on what you're audience is interested in and remembering what made you successful. I don't want the N54 section to be three clicks deep into the forum, I want it on the top level. This is the reason why I've made multiple subdomains to ensure what you're interested in is in front of you. But we just need more people who contribute what they've done. Unfortunately, a lot of folks keep it to themselves or on instagram.

Over the last year or so I've been in the process of solving this issue, but again content is needed.

https://www.spoolstreet.com -> Everything
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com
https://bmwm.spoolstreet.com
https://supra.spoolstreet.com

I can get chassis specific, https://e90.spoolstreet.com and this is finally where you open up the possibilities to have a relevant cosmetic section. But I need threads before I promote those URLs. Its a process and forums are generational type things. When you don't benefit from an in house shop name or some other influence, it takes several years to build big communities and catch any momentum. I've basically done all this by brute force and have grown despite the decline of web forums. I attribute a lot of that to old sites not keeping up with technology, creating a bad or subpar experience. This is something which I actively work to mitigate.

It's also important to understand the people interested in their Lux Halos can also be the same people who don't know what kind of oil to use, so there has to be some give and take in order to accommodate everyone.
I hope you didn’t misunderstand my comment as a lack of site offering. It was more so a comment on the content over here just not leaning that direction. Even e90post has gotten stale over the years on cosmetic content, and the for sale section over there is declining as well. The most likely cause of all of this is that the industry just isn’t really there for the platform. We certainly aren’t a “hot” car anymore, and never really had a whole lot of hype. The Supra will be huge in the marketplace and cosmetic sections though I am sure.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I hope you didn’t misunderstand my comment as a lack of site offering. It was more so a comment on the content over here just not leaning that direction. Even e90post has gotten stale over the years on cosmetic content, and the for sale section over there is declining as well. The most likely cause of all of this is that the industry just isn’t really there for the platform. We certainly aren’t a “hot” car anymore, and never really had a whole lot of hype. The Supra will be huge in the marketplace and cosmetic sections though I am sure.

Didn't take any offense, it is true and there are various reasons for that, but I would love to see more projects posted so we have a full spectrum of content options available here.

• Agree
Reactions: The Convert

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
@doublespaces you seem to be going hard on the zupra. Do you really think it is going to be big? With the choice of the b58 engine it seems meh. I think interest will flare out very quick. Hopefully I am wrong and you are right.

Another 10k gets you a rear engine v8 dct Corvette c8. An extra $150 a month for your car loan gets you into a completely different class of car. Just as an example price point quoting msrps. C6s and C7s are going to start selling for cheap!

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
@doublespaces you seem to be going hard on the zupra. Do you really think it is going to be big? With the choice of the b58 engine it seems meh. I think interest will flare out very quick. Hopefully I am wrong and you are right.

Another 10k gets you a rear engine v8 dct Corvette c8. An extra $150 a month for your car loan gets you into a completely different class of car. Just as an example price point quoting msrps. C6s and C7s are going to start selling for cheap!
Corvettes will always be a great bang for your buck, higher class car. I don’t know that the vette, Supra, and BMWs compete with one another. IMO, the Supra will absolutely become a huge market. Just having the history of the name will be enough. Not to mention the car already has the backing of people like Steph Papadakis. It will blow us out of the water in no time at all.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Supra is gonna be huge in time.

B58 engine is quite capable and exactly what the N55 should have been IMO.

Bit off topic though at this point.