E90 n55. WHAT to do???

Irafi

Lurker
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
335i e90
There are so many choices of downpipe, fmic and exhaust. Do I spring for afe downpipe and exhaust? Do I go with vrsf and save money? I am wallowing in indecision. I found a blem ams fmic on eBay for 600 delivered but it says it does not fit 2011 e90s????. Do I spring for ets or er fmic or again go vrsf??? I would like anyone's two cents so I can weigh my decisions. Thanks in advance for the help.

Reactions: luchocamp

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
It depends on your budget and what your goals are. I have a Rev9 5" stepped intercooler, MVP catless downpipe, Circuitwerks Catback, and MHD Stage 1 tune and my car is way faster than it was stock, and it will be even faster when I load the Stage2+. I am very pleased. I have also done all the preventative stuff which I recommend you do before tuning.

I went with cheaper items and have had zero fitment or quality issues. I typically recommend going with reputable companies though if you are not capable of dealing with common issues that can arise with cheaper products. And you should never go cheap on things that could ruin the engine if they fail.

Fueling, Pure stage 2 turbo upgrade, and a custom tune are up next for me.

KevinC39

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I'd save your money and leave the cat back exhaust stock and just do the downpipe. No real performance gain to be had by changing it. It's mostly just for noise and a little weight reduction. You can always do it later if you want.

Irafi

Lurker
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
335i e90
It depends on your budget and what your goals are. I have a Rev9 5" stepped intercooler, MVP catless downpipe, Circuitwerks Catback, and MHD Stage 1 tune and my car is way faster than it was stock, and it will be even faster when I load the Stage2+. I am very pleased. I have also done all the preventative stuff which I recommend you do before tuning.

I went with cheaper items and have had zero fitment or quality issues. I typically recommend going with reputable companies though if you are not capable of dealing with common issues that can arise with cheaper products. And you should never go cheap on things that could ruin the engine if they fail.

Fueling, Pure stage 2 turbo upgrade, and a custom tune are up next for me.

Sounds sweet thanks for the input.

Irafi

Lurker
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
335i e90
I'd save your money and leave the cat back exhaust stock and just do the downpipe. No real performance gain to be had by changing it. It's mostly just for noise and a little weight reduction. You can always do it later if you want.
I have heard this from others. I like the way they sound though. Just hard choices.

Aug 2, 2017
Ride
2011 e92 335i
I'd say preventive maintenance before tune, then buy downpipe and FMIC for MHD stage 2 or 2+ tune. Happy daily camper.

Irafi

Lurker
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
335i e90
I'd say preventive maintenance before tune, then buy downpipe and FMIC for MHD stage 2 or 2+ tune. Happy daily camper.
She's all serviced up to date new coils new plugs mhd stage one xhp stage one. I am gonna go with no exhaust after research or just an axle back later.

Reactions: mangospringroll

Irafi

Lurker
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
335i e90
just go vrsf everything. Ive heard their updated downpipe is quite nice
I am just worried about vrsf Quality versus ets. I think I'm going to go for the downpipe vrsf but intercooler too? Then I'm thinking no you get what you pay for go afe downpipe and ets 5 inch. Fucking dilemas

Aug 2, 2017
Ride
2011 e92 335i
All the 5" step intercoolers are pretty much the same. I have the VRSF catless down pipe, it's a solid coated piece.
I'm thinking of (any) brand of 5" step intercooler in the next few months since I dont really want to cut anything and spend too much. It's more than enough for daily drive cooling need, even in hot SoCal summer days.

Reactions: doublespaces

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
There's lots of stuff out there. I recommend handling some preventive maintenance fisrt if your car has some miles on it. First mods i would do is Charge pipe, and intercooler. The 7" ones are usually the better of the two between them and the 5" stepped.

MiamiM3

Mar 12, 2017
Ride
2011 BMW 335i AT M-Sport
Sound clip of my 2011 335i with Wagner HFC DP and stock exhaust. I also have MHD tune with cold start delete and Pure stage 2 turbo installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: doublespaces