E9X E90 drag brake setup

ldyzluvdis06

Private
Dec 2, 2016
Illinois
While most others go with a 17" setup on a drag radial, it was just as costly to go with a big and little drag setup, in which the taller side wall will preform better. I'm cheap and didn't want to spend the money on some small brake kits that people are selling so started researching, and thanks to the help of some others in the scene, finally bought a setup that works.

Car is a 2008 335i sedan and I purchased e90 328 calipers and e39 528 rotors (I've been told x1 28i, or e91 328i rotors also work) . I was told this was a direct bolt on with no modification and or spacers needed. But I quickly learned that I needed to install some spacers/washers between the caliper bracket and the caliper mount. *note- I bought my calipers and rotors via eBay, so there is a chance in which they sent me the wrong calipers, which in turn forced me to need the spacers.* anyways, I used 3 flat washers on both upper and lower mounting hole, which spaced the caliper perfectly in the middle of the rotor. After bolting everything up, I used some tin snips and trimmed the dust cover down to matching size of the rotor, bolted it all back up and drove off.

I still need to mount tires, and I'll update the thread once I accomplish that, but I ended up purchasing a set of grey racestar drag star wheels. 15x10 rears, and 17x4.5 fronts. *note- a 15x8 would be sufficient and saved a little weight, but I already have a set of 275/50/15 MT tires, which led me to choose the 10" wheel.

Last edited:

ldyzluvdis06

Private
Dec 2, 2016
Illinois
V8JyOOk.jpg

LQKdCkv.jpg

qElctNi.jpg

wyR7iIh.jpg

ldyzluvdis06

Private
Dec 2, 2016
Illinois
I asked on fb too but worried at all about them coming loose?
Pic is of 5x120 on 5x120.65, doesn't seem to sit that good? 0.65mm ain't much but just wondering :)
View attachment 3460

With my wheel, and most drag wheels, they use a shank style lug nut which uses a center washer to evenly distribute the torque. So that 0.65mm, divided by 5 studs, so 0.13mm difference per hole, isn't an issue at all.

Reactions: Rob.K

ldyzluvdis06

Private
Dec 2, 2016
Illinois
True, how many miles on the car?

76k. Bought the car 8 months ago with 72k and have had to replace: water pump, thermostat, both front o2 sensors (and its still throwing codes for them), ofhg, ocg, injectors, pullies, belt. Currently leaking valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, I will fix those then I install the motor mounts.

Only thing I haven't had issues with so far is coils

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Dang. I got this car (2009) with 52k. Haven't had a problem but I've got new water pump and plugs and stage 2 lpfp. I have a hpfp sitting here just in case also.

Hopefully my car ages gracefully :)

ldyzluvdis06

Private
Dec 2, 2016
Illinois
Dang. I got this car (2009) with 52k. Haven't had a problem but I've got new water pump and plugs and stage 2 lpfp. I have a hpfp sitting here just in case also.

Hopefully my car ages gracefully :)

Wish you the best. Lol. I have two friends with n54's that haven't had a single issues yet, I've put 4k miles on it and have had every problem. Lol