E60 E9X big brake tech.

Notmpwr

Private
Jul 5, 2017
Ride
535i
I figured I would start a post to see what everyone else is doing for diy big brake setups.

I'm currently working on a 385mm rotor package for the E9X and e60 cars. Turbo on right is a pt8847 for size comparison.

Front is a custom machined rotor, high quality Zimmerman or equivalent, finally one will also be j slotted to improve bite and dissipate any gasses.

Caliper will either be a cl55 amg 8 piston or srt8 wk2 jeep 6 piston. Both calipers are made by brembo, the jeep is a little larger in terms of packaging but it can also be had for $600 for the pair brand new where the amg calipers have to be sourced used.

Both calipers have near the same position volume as the e60 and e92 so that's good and there's also a jump in pad volume so that's also good.

Both calipers have good pads available but with the nod to the jeep for a little more variety.

Sooooo does anyone else have any diy brake setups they have came up with?

I noticed the rear drag brake and that's awesome that some oem parts can be used.

I came up with the first e46m3 rear 15" wheel combo and brake package and that was very challenging because everything was custom. It's nice to see something a little easier because that means more 15" wheel drag setups!
IMG_20170706_125714047.jpg

photos to upload in fb

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'm pretty sure lots of people use the F30 brakes or something like that. There are DIYs out there, unless you were thinking about something bigger.

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92
ctsv caliper sets (fr & rr) run around $11-1200 new; cheaper if you catch the right seller. F30 front rotors supposedly fit, but i have not confirmed. Then it would just be design a bracket to go from standard to radial mounted. That was my "general" plan, but it's lower on my list currently.

• Agree
Reactions: zero2sixtyZ

Notmpwr

Private
Jul 5, 2017
Ride
535i
I'm pretty sure lots of people use the F30 brakes or something like that. There are DIYs out there, unless you were thinking about something bigger.

Probably bigger. That rotor in the picture is 385mmx36 the f30 m performance stuff is 370x30mm.

I have mocked up both the amg and srt8 caliper and i do like the amg caliper a little better due to the fact its radial mount instead of lug mount. it does have a lug mount adapter but the height can be changed for different rotor diameter.

ctsv caliper sets (fr & rr) run around $11-1200 new; cheaper if you catch the right seller. F30 front rotors supposedly fit, but i have not confirmed. Then it would just be design a bracket to go from standard to radial mounted. That was my "general" plan, but it's lower on my list currently.

I have built some other BBK on ctsv and z06 calipers but for the cost i believe the jeep stuff is better @ $600 for the pair new. The caliper is far larger and more rigid but is not much heaver. Also the piston volume is close to the same as our current single 60mm piston.

Ive been talking with willwood today and i found a rotor hat that i can machine to provide an option for 2PC rotors with their gt-37 curved van rotor in the 380x32mm flavor for the track guys.

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92
I have built some other BBK on ctsv and z06 calipers but for the cost i believe the jeep stuff is better @ $600 for the pair new. The caliper is far larger and more rigid but is not much heaver. Also the piston volume is close to the same as our current single 60mm piston.

Ive been talking with willwood today and i found a rotor hat that i can machine to provide an option for 2PC rotors with their gt-37 curved van rotor in the 380x32mm flavor for the track guys.

Are you looking at putting together a four wheel package or two?

I'd prefer four & have some type of uniformity in components.

Notmpwr

Private
Jul 5, 2017
Ride
535i
Are you looking at putting together a four wheel package or two?

I'd prefer four & have some type of uniformity in components.

I'll be doing all four wheels. Probably just the stock rotor with some type of brembo caliper on the rear.

The stock rear brakes are pretty large and using a different rotor is pretty tough since the ebrake is inside the hat.

If the 2pc rotors are popular I'll make a rear rotor hat that keeps the ebrake.

Biggest thing for me on the rear is to use a caliper that is readably available, cheap and looks good.

Probably the Porsche boxter rear or some thing.