Doc Race Billet Coolant Overflow Tank

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I don't like the socket cap allen bolts. I'd like to see flat countersunk allen fasteners instead.

Common%20Bolt%20%26%20Screw-Heads%20%26%20Types.jpg

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Doc Race used to be a generic turbo kit manufacturer. They did kits for all kinds of cars. It feels like they released their N54 kit and everyone went nuts over it, they stumbled into a market with need and they were getting a good reputation and a decent amount of cash for their sole offering.

I'm looking at their VC, IC Manifold, Coolant Overflow Tank, and Oil Catch Cans. They are all top quality.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I imagine an aluminum tank will be heavier, in the worst place to add weight other than strapping a dead body to the roof of the car. Is the stock plastic tank not strong enough?

A custom high efficiency radiator with attached tank would be a great addition, though perhaps redundant with the CSF and mishi rads available.

Still, love the dedication to the platform by DR.

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
I imagine an aluminum tank will be heavier, in the worst place to add weight other than strapping a dead body to the roof of the car. Is the stock plastic tank not strong enough?

Still, love the dedication to the platform by DR.

I imagine it's more of a solution to the coolant relocation dilemma when going single turbo. The OEM N54 and 335D tank both leave a lot on the table aesthetically no matter how it's mounted, plus that location is wide open with the air scoop removed. Would also solve the problem of hiding the top of the fan assembly and running an unnecessarily long heater hose to the driver's side.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I imagine it's more of a solution to the coolant relocation dilemma when going single turbo. The OEM N54 and 335D tank both leave a lot on the table aesthetically no matter how it's mounted, plus that location is wide open with the air scoop removed. Would also solve the problem of hiding the top of the fan assembly and running an unnecessarily long heater hose to the driver's side.

Good points. Another potential option they have would be to make an expansion tank so that it sits under their forward facing intake manifold. Lots of empty space down there. Doesn't fix the problem of running lines across the bay though.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride

IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG

Problem solved. I swapped the Tee fitting on the waterpump inlet to a 90 and added a Tee to the return line from the heater core. Combine that with the 335d tank, bracket, and small line off the 335d upper radiator hose and you have a super clean solution.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Problem solved. I swapped the Tee fitting on the waterpump inlet to a 90 and added a Tee to the return line from the heater core. Combine that with the 335d tank, bracket, and small line off the 335d upper radiator hose and you have a super clean solution.

Not sure I'm looking at those pictures correctly, how many lines were you able to delete doing this? And, did it change your effective coolant/water volume at all?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Not sure I'm looking at those pictures correctly, how many lines were you able to delete doing this? And, did it change your effective coolant/water volume at all?
The Tee that is normally attached to the waterpump, plastic water line, and expansion tank return line was replaced with a 90 degree fitting to delete the expansion tank line. Then I teed into the heater core return line shown in pic 2. So instead of running a long hose from the driver's side of the bay all the way over to the waterpump Tee, I teed in just before the plastic water line. No change in volume.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
The Tee that is normally attached to the waterpump, plastic water line, and expansion tank return line was replaced with a 90 degree fitting to delete the expansion tank line. Then I teed into the heater core return line shown in pic 2. So instead of running a long hose from the driver's side of the bay all the way over to the waterpump Tee, I teed in just before the plastic water line. No change in volume.

Thanks. Great solution for folks that need to relocate the tank!

Reactions: The Convert

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

View attachment 11974 View attachment 11975 View attachment 11976

That is clean, I may have to do this.

The DR tank is nice but it seems to be more for bling than anything else...i'm also a big fan of function over looks as the only one who looks in my engine bay is me.

E92 420

Corporal
Jul 8, 2017
United Kingdom
Ride
BMW e92 335i
Anyone know if this thing is being sold. Iv conacted them about it but not getting a response.

Would really like it to go with the manifold

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
I spoke with John @ Doc Race and it's not ready for public release yet. It's something he's going to finalize over the next couple months.

Reactions: chadillac2000

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Very much looking forward to Doc Race or another company coming out with this solution. No more plastic reservoir that doesn't fit anywhere, no more running a giant coolant line across the front of the car for single turbo cars, no more exposed fan, the list goes on and on.

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018

Your welcome,

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46320