DIY: CIC auxiliary video input

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
This allows you to add a "TV" option and wire in a composite input to that selection. No emulator needed.

Get a shielded composite cable, snip it and add part #61136901848 connectors to shield, ground and vid +
Photo #1 shows shielded vs. not. All yellow is shielded
NBHfTDPr.jpg

Photo #2 Wired connectors
INGJLzMr.jpg

Remove quadlock on back of CIC and input the connectors in one of the selections
Selection pdf attachment #1

Quadlock photo
6eBzH5sr.jpg

Coding:
Add VO $601 in CAS and NFRM modules. code CIC,
than chceck or modify this in CIC module:
TVM_VARIANTEN
vm_l4_most_fkat
TV = wert_21 (or 22, or 23)
depends on which Fbas socked did you use can be this:
FBAS1 = +18 28
GND 27 (wert_21)
FBAS2 = +19 26
GND 25 (wert_22)
FBAS3 = +21 24
GND 23 (wert_23)

FBAS socket inputs found in pdf

I used a $30 mini android pc and a hdmi-composite converter
8FN0UiI.jpg

Pros: No more unplugging USB, charging device etc. Turn on car and MHD available via Idrive. Mini PC apps also available for use

Cons: TV video size limited. Split screen photo shows size of display even when split screen off.
Can be tedious process getting all set up.

Final thoughts: Knew it could be done and did it. Still not ideal position for gauges IMO and would like to fabricate a OLED monitor on my left as next project.

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    240.7 KB · Views: 1,610

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So there is no way to consume the whole screen? I could swear I saw someone do this and take up the whole thing.

This combined with the backup cam emulator is probably the most economical method, in case I missed it, how do you get to this screen?

Reactions: slow_henry

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
So there is no way to consume the whole screen? I could swear I saw someone do this and take up the whole thing.

I'm not sure there is a way using this method. There is a "TV Width" option in the trace file but have tried the diff options and results, if any were not noticeable. TV mode doesn't have a "zoom mode" like the DVD player does either.
Note, you do need to ensure you have DVD in motion to avoid the CIC preventing you from watching the input while driving. If anyone needs that DIY just shoot me a PM. It's all relatively easy once you have the software ready.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
hey rg

how do you control the boot up/shutdown of the android stick? this has been on the back of my mind for a while...

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Hey AzN,

It gets powered by a USB to AC5v cord that plugs in to my glovebox USB. I actually found a cig lighter socket on the bottom of my passenger kick panel which I had no idea existed. Can use that as well.

It's programmed to open MHD on bootup but then I manually select the logging selection. I have a mini touchpad on order which I'll fabricate into my console and am just using a mini wireless usb mouse for now.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
sorry i meant bootup/shutdown on thr stick itself

doesnt the stick corrupt if you just pull power from it? but if power is provided the whole time even when car is off then it will drain

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
There's no traditional power button
It just turns on when powered

I've probably had it flipped on/off via power 30-40 times already. I think the android os is just simpler to boot and not like pulling the power on a windows pc so less likely to corrupt.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
i thought about getting one.of.these sticks but i stopped after reading reports of the rom corrupting after pulling the plug

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
i thought about getting one.of.these sticks but i stopped after reading reports of the rom corrupting after pulling the plug

The one I purchased is called a "nextbox" or something similar. Came with a ton of bloatware. Stripped it down to mhd and a couple others and seems to have no problems. Will update if it fails.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Thanks for the write up. When I search for the part number listed above, I get a connector. Is that correct? If so, am I buying the connector so I can pull the pins out for use?

I currently have dvd in motion working. If I code cic and nfrm after updating the Vo, will I have to redo the coding for dvd in motion? Asking because it has been a lonnnnng time since I coded that feature and I don’t remember how I did it haha.

Also, any luck on getting the app to show full screen?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Thanks for the write up. When I search for the part number listed above, I get a connector. Is that correct? If so, am I buying the connector so I can pull the pins out for use?

I currently have dvd in motion working. If I code cic and nfrm after updating the Vo, will I have to redo the coding for dvd in motion? Asking because it has been a lonnnnng time since I coded that feature and I don’t remember how I did it haha.

Also, any luck on getting the app to show full screen?

Thanks again.

Hmm, I may have transposed the part number, you're right. I'll have to find the # but it is essentially the pin that plugs in to that socket. Same as the one the DME pins use.

Use NCS dummy. Coding is so, so much easier to do. I don't think I had to re code it but it takes less than a minute if it is needed using dummy.