Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

S54ca

Private
Apr 4, 2020
man this is getting really confusing. Best I can gather, the M3 SZL seems to work with IKMOs and gives the sport throttle sensitivity (or power function) @begood has that. I don’t think anyone has got MDM (Partial DSC) or MDrive (drivelogic memory recall) working.

Is there a way to see if MDM is triggered without having a 1M / M3 cluster? A flag on the CANBus or something?

In my case (1M DSC, IKM0S) I find it hard to believe any additional coding is needed to enable MDM, but I have no physical indication it’s enabled after pressing the DSC button once.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Break traction .. with and without ?
Logs should show throttle closures are less often and lower in intensity with mdm

Last edited:

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
DL only goes to 1 or it only shows 1 in CiC even though DL actually goes higher? Maybe I misread.

I'm just say that when in Auto mode, the DL settings seem to make no difference no matter what I set it too. It always feels it is at the lowest setting and upshifts at real ow rpms.

Manual is much better

Reactions: RSL

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
correction went for a drive today and default is unchanged.... I have no idea why it is t working but I did let the car sleep after each step... sorry for the Incorrect info fellas...

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
correction went for a drive today and default is unchanged.... I have no idea why it is t working but I did let the car sleep after each step... sorry for the Incorrect info fellas...
So it held settings after you flashed it, but not overnight? Weird.

Reactions: aus335iguy

Mr Rage

Lurker
Feb 12, 2020
Crewe
Ride
2009 E92 335i M-DCT IKM0S 2.81
Has everyone wired the dsc button to the dsc directly? I found this diagram showing it connectable to the frm module.

Attachments

• ED4CE399-AA71-4CCB-8209-8E09F0897EC4.jpeg
    ED4CE399-AA71-4CCB-8209-8E09F0897EC4.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 53

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
So it held settings after you flashed it, but not overnight? Weird.
I made a video of it and I’m reviewing now. My impression is the car was asleep between tests. All of the lights on the KOMBI and shifter went out before restarting. My car has comfort access and I stayed in the car... maybe that kept it awake ?

Reactions: Mr Rage

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Ive been reading through the this thread and came across this gem... Was tom really saying that a non M SZL works with a MDSC you just need to do the coding a number of times ?... It seems so
Guys,

On an e9x the szl calibration data come from the dsc and cannot be accessed independently like on an e60.

The only way to do it is after installation of either szl or dsc is specifically

1. Code dsc to car with ncs and each and time to encode dsc this need to be repeated less the valve adjustment with whichever szl your using.
2. Then best to use ista d and first do steering angle adjustment which will data from dsc to szl unit.
3. Then a full dsc adjustment in ista d will correct the vin mismatch.

Like I said earlier this will repeatedly fail in ista as it should not work in the first place with m3 dsc and non m3 szl, however it does work eventually. Il get you guys some part number data photos etc today.

Some notes on this.
- using tool32 is much faster but does not work every time
- writing a vin to the dsc unit is something I never do and is not necessary. However if you must, best way to do it is reflash with winkfp exact samr versions and add your vin. The vin related errors are not caused by the wrong vin in the dsc but rather the szl. So when you code with ncs the dsc unit it takes the vin from your cas and passes it to the szl when you do the steering angle sensor which is basically the szl coding. That's why each time you code the dsc, you need to redo the szl.

Derek, I've seen every single code on the screen errors you showed, except the last one. Most will be fixed once you encode the dsc and szl. The m3 dsc trace has a gearbox type and you need to change it to correct the reverse error for a 6hp however it should be fine for dct. Don't forget the 2md.

And another thing, what are you encoding the tcu with ? 2tc or 2mk ? Comparing the 2 will more than likely solve the wheel torque error.

Reactions: houtan and Begood69

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
The 1M SZL works no differently than my original SZL without coding changes in my car, so probably.

I don't know why it might take several tries to get it to work though. Maybe there's some order they need to be flashed in/vin written/coded/codes cleared for it to take and finally does once everything is in place.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
This though flies in the face of conventional wisdom that you NEED an M SZL for MDM/MDrive
It means that there’s no other physical parts needed for conversion other than the GWS and the final drive change

Reactions: houtan

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
On the final drive change ... The M3 forums are talking about altering it at the DME rather than in the TCU. @jyamona tried this for previously but i dont think it was succesful. Only a handfull of m3 tuners are doing it, but it is a thing...

Reactions: houtan

Seb335i

Corporal
Jun 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i E93 DKG
This though flies in the face of conventional wisdom that you NEED an M SZL for MDM/MDrive
It means that there’s no other physical parts needed for conversion other than the GWS and the final drive change

You mean that the only parts needed are M GWS no need of M SZL about the final drive here in France 2.81 335D diff are very common and cheap had mine for free.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Yes I think so. You can flash the DSC with 1M or M3 ZB using expert mode so don’t need that. Might need the LDM ....You can change the CIC to the z4 pl(product line) and you don’t even need to wire the DSC button so don’t need the console. The KOMBI can be coded so don’t need that. You won’t know if the M3 MDM is activated but all we’ve got it to do is sharpen the throttle and with a 1M IKMOS tune you can feel sport mode through the throttle pretty obviously. A drive change and away you go.
I even wouldn’t be surprised if you could flash GWS as well.need to figure out how to change drivelogic without that though.

in summary you need
Final drive change, GWS with knob, drivelogic button, LDM and BMW standard tools.
Can someone else validate please ?