Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
@jyamona, I can get that for you. I just think with your mastery of the DME it is a great troubleshooting step. We can see if we need to target a specific module for true issue resolution (TCU, DSC, etc). I agree, your hack won't be our end fix, but it'll shine a definitive light on what is needed to be addressed.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
OK. Im home from work which interestingly is strikingly similar in a lot of ways to what were doing here but anyway... as im not in a comfortable space to go messing with my daily driver the only thing i can contribute with is organisation and methodical fault finding.(well i think that’s what I’m good at) If you guys are happy with that, that’s what ill contribute.
The objective is to quickly identify what the problem is and resolve it so we can get on with the business of going fast(er)

Below is what i think should happen from here. Im not the boss here and none of you are under any obligation to me or anyone else and if im treading on your toes please say so and ill back off. It’s your car not mine. Im just some crazy dude on the internet.

Problem
M3 GWS and flash conversions done on non M cars exhibit drawn out or laggy shifts

Hypothosis
  1. Final drive ratio disparity is causing it(likely)
  2. DSC is intervening during shift(less likely)
  3. Torque limiters being hit (Least likely)

Propsed test for hypothosis 1
The only way to test the first one is to actually change final drive ratio. @Hpaula said he had a diff on the way so maybe he can run with that and let us know ?

Proposed test for hypothesis 2

By using @jyamona DSC intervention prevention(TM) flash we can test the second hypothosis fairly quickly. We could also install an M3 DSC.
@dyezak may have both of these covered as long as Jake is prepared to provide the flash and he gets a DSC.

Proposed test for hypothesis 3
Any one of the four people who have converted may already be running stock tunes or can easily switch back to stock to test.

What if that doesnt fix it?
I suggest we look at better logging. A CAN logger would be helpful in understanding the messages going back and forth.

Im going to see if i can grab that spare 335i DSC this weekend and have a crack at flashing it with M3
I need to figure some stuff out first... It’s a LOOONG shot though so dont get your hopes up. Ill also make some updates to the coding guide that needed doing.

These are good thoughts, I agree with your points. I am not sure what is going on but I've seen mention torque limit being sent to transmission as per @dyezak 's comments (probably due to implausible RPM for expected FD ratio).

I would put my money on FD ratio being out of spec, transmission is reporting that to car and car is reducing torque to prevent grenading components while 'scanning' for correct RPM. Where does that RPM expectation come from? The EGS programming itself? DSC unit?

I am not running a stock tune; the car is not happy with removal of cats nor the high flow inlets installed (overboost issue). That being said, I can flash to stock if it will help diagnose issues but my car might throw false positives.

Hey guys. I can get the logging params to figure out where the torque reduction requests are coming from, and then after determining that can disable them if need be. However depending on the cause, it may not be best to disable them, will have to see.

Can someone compare the torque reduction request of a normal DCT shift vs. one of these laggy M3 GWS + software shifts?

I can help with logs if @dyezak is unable to, or if you need more data. Are you needing a full throttle shift? 3->4 gear shift?

Getting a stock DCT shift log is available in my previous logs before GWS installation: https://datazap.me/u/dg/wedge-performance-dct-v6

Unfortunately, my time with this retrofit is relatively limited because my car is a daily driver and I drive 3.5 hours to work and back. Performing this retrofit over the weekend gave ample time to get it installed but it doesn't seem like the laggy shifts are easy to solve. It doesn't seem like the best idea to leave the GWS installed? If I drive lightly it might be OK....?

I would *LOVE* to find female 10pin connector and female 'sport button' connector to allow making a harness to switch between the two GWS shifters. The coding is relatively quick but rewiring is a pain.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
I thought about this as well, just making some adapter harnesses for the drivelogic and gws connection for a quick swap out if needed.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Just confirmed I'll be able to pick up a DSC assembly from an 2008 M3 here in a couple hours. Should be simple to check the coding/flash on it but I won't be able to swap the unit for a couple days.

Reactions: aus335iguy

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Find ECU and Winkfp only show one ZB for the DSCM90 and that's 7846816 and the one for DSCM80 (1M)? is 7846411 if that helps at all.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Well, hypothesis 3 isn't a hypothesis. During logging I do see torque reduction requests while I'm experiencing these lethargic shifts. Fact. The question is where are they coming from? The DSC as during a limited traction event? I do have DSC completely off but we all know there could be other things in the DSC module that might not be turned off when you fully disable it. Or is it coming from TCU due to final drive issues and the transmission trying to save itself?

I don't know yet but we will figure this out.
I glanced at one of Hectors logs and didn’t spot any but I only glanced... I agree switch it off see what it does. Easy test to do quick and allows us to eliminate that scenario.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I have @juld0zer digging out a DSC and I’ll have a crack at flashing it on the weekend. I have some time now to update the guide as well.

He’s not very active on forums however once I described the behaviour his words” sounds like a variance in the expected vs actual shaft speed”. There is a relearn procedure however it’s only within factory limitations. Whether that means M3 or 335 limitations is the question. Doing a relearn may lead to other issues so I wouldn’t advise anyone to do it.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Good news and bad.

Bad: The DSC module I went to get was $600...so I passed on that. I'll hold off on that for now.

Good: Got the Driveshaft and axles to finish up my M3 diff retrofit. I'll get started on that soon.

Maybe Good: The owner of ///MPoriumBMW told me about Fast Attack Motorsports and Jim Colley who is doing DCT retrofits for the SMG V10 cars. I reached out to Jim to see if he had any of these issues when he developed his DCT retrofit for the V10. Maybe he encountered this and already knows how to resolve it (or knows what the root cause is).

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Good news and bad.

Bad: The DSC module I went to get was $600...so I passed on that. I'll hold off on that for now.

Good: Got the Driveshaft and axles to finish up my M3 diff retrofit. I'll get started on that soon.

Maybe Good: The owner of ///MPoriumBMW told me about Fast Attack Motorsports and Jim Colley who is doing DCT retrofits for the SMG V10 cars. I reached out to Jim to see if he had any of these issues when he developed his DCT retrofit for the V10. Maybe he encountered this and already knows how to resolve it (or knows what the root cause is).
Great idea reaching out to Jim. Is he on these boards ? I’ve seen him in the FB group...

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I reckon the m3 diff ratio will fix it so good luck.
If it does fix it though we then need to figure out how to fix it for people that don’t want to change ratios too much if at all.
Bill has picked a ratio between M3 and 335i that will hopefully be ok and not everyone(Me :)) is going to be able or willing to do that.

Last edited:

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
For information...
The 335i uses MK60 DSC and the M3 uses MK60e5 I can not see any physical difference in the units except that in the case of cars equiped with cruise with braking the Longitudinal sensor is integrated within the DSC unit itself. This would explain why there are so many variants of these things.

from here
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...traction-control-system/sensor-system/Xdn0dnz
The LDM control unit is no longer fitted on vehicles with option 544 ”Cruise control with brake function”. Because of a software modification in the DSC control unit (DSC Mk60E5), the DSC control unit assumes control of the functions of the LDM control unit. LDM = ”longitudinal dynamics management”

Interesting point to note RHD and LHD DSC units CAN NOT be interchanged as the RHD version is rotated 90 degrees. The internal longitudinal sensor is also rotated Because of the space needed, the DSC unit is rotated through 90° on RHD vehicles.
from here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e92-325i-cou/repair-manuals/34-brakes/24F0wZj

'> E87, E90, E91, E92, E93
This means that the longitudinal-acceleration sensor in the DSC control unit also has to be turned through 90°.'

US vehicles without NAV are wired slightly different in that wheel speed sensors go to the TCU of all things !

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: boostE92d

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Looked through the DSC trace from the M3 and one setting "M3 Construction"would be interesting to look at in 'Dummy to see what the variants are...
RPA
not active
MSA
active
M3_ CONSTRUCTION
wert_05
M3_ GEARBOX
wert_01
M3_UEBER TAX_MUE_0
wert_01
M3_UEBER TAX_MUE_1_2
wert_01
MDYNAMIC_MODE_USA
active
M3_PRE_MSR
not active
STEERING ANGLE CHANNEL
wert_00
LAT_EBD
active
US_VEHICLE
not active
POHO
not active
DDS_PLUS
not active
TURN OFF BARENCE _DSC
active
PRINT MODEL_HA
wert_00
PRINT MODEL_VA
wert_00

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I looked at those in Dummy and it doesn't appear that anyone has spent any time decoding the DSC components. So there aren't any helpful hints there like in the CIC, NFRM, KOMBI, etc modules.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Found out that the Mk60 DSC module is being used in motorsport because of its adaptability. Essentially because it houses almost all that you need in one compact unit with two brake inputs and four brake outputs its straightforward to retro into a racecar.
Heres a thread thats related - Interesting - These guys had to have figured out how to adapt wheel speed sensors ;)
They've also adapted trim pots to adjust the ABS intervention......
https://rennlist.com/forums/data-ac...6-bmw-teves-mk60-abs-data-to-aim-loggers.html
Some differences between the two
the Teves Mk60E5 is 1M baud rate

The channels from the Mk60E5 are:
4 wheel speeds (CAN)
4 wheel speeds (digital output)
4 brake pressures
master brake pressure
ABS alarm warning (CAN)
ABS alarm warning (analog output)
abs active
yaw rate
g force lat
g force long

The Mk60 channels are:
4 wheel speeds (CAN)
4 wheel speeds (digital output)
4 brake pressures
ABS alarm warning (CAN)
ABS alarm warning (analog output)

Maybe these guys aren't aware that MK60 modules with active cruise have lat and long sensors or maybe the literature from BMW isn't 100% accurate

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
MSR=Engine drag torque regulation. This is for opening the throttles when down shifting so that you don't get too much throttle off oversteer... Must turn that off :)

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Good news and bad.

The M3 axles make the 335i axles look like toothpicks.

How much did you spend on m3 components? Did you pick up entire rear end (subframe, axles, diff, hubs, etc?).

@aus335iguy thank you for all the research! I am still confused why DSC is our suspect; is transmission thinking it is slipping and triggering traction issues?

I drove the car 20 or so miles. If I am light on throttle it seems to do OK but does not like shifting at all. I might be able to drive to work in it, really don’t want to go to stock IS GWS. :(

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
I reckon the m3 diff ratio will fix it so good luck.
If it does fix it though we then need to figure out how to fix it for people that don’t want to change ratios too much if at all.
Bill has picked a ratio between M3 and 335i that will hopefully be ok and not everyone(Me :)) is going to be able or willing to do that.

The 2.81 is the only ratio that is confirmed to work in both. I wouldn't have a problem with a 3.15 if the N54 made power to 8+k rpm but it doesn't. Just look at a gear calculator with the DCT ratios applied, and I'm using a 275/35-19 tire in the calculations. With a 2.56, in 6th gear at 6k rpm you're at 154 mph, with a 3.15, 123 mph, with a 2.93, 135 mph, with a 2.81, 141 mph, with a 2.65, 149 mph. All those gear options are available, if you know where to look:wink:. It's a added expense but I think I'll be happier in the long run just from what I've heard Terry say. I do 1/2 mile events so it's almost a necessity for me.

Reactions: L€X

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
So to be clear the reason your choosing that ratio is because it’s been known to be tolerated by both m3 and 335is?