Dct shifter retrofit f30

cityazndan

Corporal
Jan 17, 2017
Ride
2016 340i xDrive
Ah, damn. So it’s wiring/soldering work involved? Please keep me posted!

JZEE12

Lurker
Oct 14, 2020
Ah, damn. So it’s wiring/soldering work involved? Please keep me posted!
No so simple I tried to wire up the shifter but no help. Might need some coding or something anyone know how to do that further. Seems as if the car needs to know to go into sequential first and not sport auto. Anyone else possible to help ?

JustTy

Aug 1, 2022
No so simple I tried to wire up the shifter but no help. Might need some coding or something anyone know how to do that further. Seems as if the car needs to know to go into sequential first and not sport auto. Anyone else possible to help ?

From what I understand the GWS cannot find the park button signal so it switches off and that’s what causes the car to not be able to shift manually. I was thinking of possibly wiring in a park button or a resistor.

JZEE12

Lurker
Oct 14, 2020
From what I understand the GWS cannot find the park button signal so it switches off and that’s what causes the car to not be able to shift manually. I was thinking of possibly wiring in a park button or a resistor.
Hi,
Would you know how to wire that up ? I’m willing to give this a go.

JustTy

Aug 1, 2022
Hi,
Would you know how to wire that up ? I’m willing to give this a go.
Unfortunately not , I’m still looking for a wiring diagram. I may take apart me oe zf shifter and try trace it that way if I have no luck with a wiring diagram

JZEE12

Lurker
Oct 14, 2020
Unfortunately not , I’m still looking for a wiring diagram. I may take apart me oe zf shifter and try trace it that way if I have no luck with a wiring diagram
Maybe this will help I found this link of someone making an oem shifter and rewiring it.

cityazndan

Corporal
Jan 17, 2017
Ride
2016 340i xDrive
Says video is unavailable. Damn was hoping I didn’t have to open, solder some wires to a physical button…

slobo7x

Mar 29, 2023
hey, any updates on this thread? I've installed a virginized f10 M5 cluster in my 2016 550x-drive, and it all works excep the Gear position and have the dreaded transmission error code. Also have the DCT shifter and switches wired, parking sensors and camera, and traction control buttons work, but the Gear Shifter itself is not even turning on.

I've ran 3 wires from DME to the Dynamic switches, as the cluster gets the gear shift position from DME directly. Stil not much luck ;(

Do you i need to add 2MK to VO and code ICM and EGS? GWS is not a codable unit, i have tried flashing it but nothing really changed.

Thanks!

Attachments

• WiringConversion.jpg
    WiringConversion.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 32
  • ICM.jpg
    ICM.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 30

slobo7x

Mar 29, 2023
Also, for some reason I feel like ICM unit will need to be coded as well for M models but unsure how to proceed here don't want to brick it..
Part numbers for non-m and M ICM are the same, so it has to be a coding difference.

JustTy

Aug 1, 2022
After months of trying to find a way of coding out the GWS park button error that’s stopping shifter from going to manual. I’ve learnt that the park button runs via canbus signal to the gws so splicing in and adding a secondary button would be out of the question but I recently noticed that the pcb that holds the park button switch on the oem shifter has the same connectors as the dct one.

I unfortunately lost my stock shifter ,if anyone is willing they could try plugging in the oem board to the dct shifter that might supply the correct park button signal to the gws and thus having no error codes.

The only downside I can foresee if it does work, is the board also houses all the lights which may not fit back into the dct shifter given how big the stock shifter board is and the lights would not correspond to the right location of the letters.

slobo7x

Mar 29, 2023
So getting rid of the shifter and transmission error message is easy, you just need to code:
KOMBI:
3001:
CC_AKTIVIERUNG_3 set to AUS
Cc_aktivierung_7 set to AUS

I have a spare DCT shifter and a spare(oem) factory shifter. I don't see how the shifter board from OEM unit would fit DCT, due to the size difference :(

How do you take the oem unit apart without damaging it? I have a black chrome version I don't want to mess it up. lol

JustTy

Aug 1, 2022
So getting rid of the shifter and transmission error message is easy, you just need to code:
KOMBI:
3001:
CC_AKTIVIERUNG_3 set to AUS
Cc_aktivierung_7 set to AUS

I have a spare DCT shifter and a spare(oem) factory shifter. I don't see how the shifter board from OEM unit would fit DCT, due to the size difference :(

How do you take the oem unit apart without damaging it? I have a black chrome version I don't want to mess it up. lol
The error causing the shifter not to go to manual shifting is the following

OxCF3141
Interface GWS: (operation GWS P 1 2 /
operation GWS P 2 2 / operation GWS
Park-Switch, 0x197) Signal invalid
Interface GWS: (operation GWS P 1 2 / operation GWS
P 2 2 / operation GWS Park-Switch, 0x197) Signal invalid

Which from what I found out is there is no park button signal present on the dct shifter. By coding the kombi all it does is ignore the error message.

I’m not sure how to dissemble the sifters but from that youtube video it doesn’t look to complicated .If I get my hands on another stock shifter I’ll give it a bash. The issue of not fitting in the dct housing,the only thing I could think off is pulling the cable all the way out and leaving it loose under all the trim but then the shifter wouldn’t have any lights at all.

slobo7x

Mar 29, 2023
You're right, I have the same message in ISTA but nothing on the dash or display screen. How does the missing park switch signal prevent the gear shifter from staying in gear, while in manual mode? Does the transmission not know the shifter position and throws it back to D?

I truly believe if the GWS unit was codable that this would have been able to be coded out and solved. If you flash it, you will brick the GWS as you'd have to know the exact i-step shipment it came from.

JustTy

Aug 1, 2022
You're right, I have the same message in ISTA but nothing on the dash or display screen. How does the missing park switch signal prevent the gear shifter from staying in gear, while in manual mode? Does the transmission not know the shifter position and throws it back to D?

I truly believe if the GWS unit was codable that this would have been able to be coded out and solved. If you flash it, you will brick the GWS as you'd have to know the exact i-step shipment it came from.
I suspect it’s a failsafe coded in if the shifter malfunctions, I’m sure it forces the transmission to be in drive and not accept any sport or shifting instructions from the gws hence why the paddles still can get the car to manual.

I personally don’t think any coder is willing to take the risk of trying to code out the error because they know the risks involved with the gws and it’s never been done before.

The only option I can foresee that would send the correct park button canbus signal is using the stock shifter pcb. As for the pcb not fitting I did see that Black Forest does make shifters for the F8x dct shifters and they don’t include any pcb or lights on their shift knobs, if having no lights on the dct shifter is acceptable the best option would be to just have the pcb and cable mounted under all the trim. That’s if it does work

Black Forest shift knob

ArturDwora

Jul 3, 2023
Hey guys, I'm interested in doing this retrofit in my M235i. While doing so I was looking at some particular functions within the FEM Module and I have come across this function.

TCI_TYPE_OF_GEARBOX
Comment = Selection of the gearbox type: value 01: electrical without hydraulic "Park lock" (not to be implemented in L7) value 02: el automatic gearbox. Transmission with hydraulic parking lock value 03: manual gearbox (manual switch) value 04: reserved

OPTIONS
Wert_01 (value 01) = 03 - Comment = Automatic Gearbox mech. Getriebe w/o Hydrauliche Parksperre (Automatic gearbox mech. Gear w/o hydraulic parking lock)
Wert_02 (value 02) = 06 - Comment = Automatic Gearbox el. Getriebe mit Hydrauliche Parksperre (El automatic gearbox. Transmission with hydraulic parking lock)
Wert_03 (value 03) = 09 - Comment = Manual Gearbox (Handschalter) (Manual gearbox (manual switch))
Wert_04 (value 04) = 0C - Comment = reserved

So selecting the "Wert_2" value should tell the FEM that you have a gearbox without the hydraulic park lock therefore it shouldn't bother you about the P / unlock. Anyway it might not be any help but worth a go, I'll most likely try to source an M2 non comp version of the shifter and give it a good go myself.

I feel like there is more to the FEM module that we would have to do in order to get it working.

Thanks!

Last edited:

slobo7x

Mar 29, 2023
I will try to swap my board from the spare unit to the spare dtc and see what happens, I agree with you though I’d rather have a fully functioning shifter without the lights then the other way around.

Hey Arthur, I have tried that while I was coding my cluster and shifter and it made no difference.

The problem is in the gsw ECU, which is not codable in most bmws unfortunately.

I have the entire cafd files for cluster and fem from an actual M5, and it made no difference due to the fact that EGS ECU expects a different signal on can bus from the shifter then it’s receding with a dot unit.

There are emulators to interpret CAN bus signals and display gear position on an M cluster in a non M car, this type of technology would probably work for the shifter too but no one has done it yet I believe.

ArturDwora

Jul 3, 2023
I will try to swap my board from the spare unit to the spare dtc and see what happens, I agree with you though I’d rather have a fully functioning shifter without the lights then the other way around.

Hey Arthur, I have tried that while I was coding my cluster and shifter and it made no difference.

The problem is in the gsw ECU, which is not codable in most bmws unfortunately.

I have the entire cafd files for cluster and fem from an actual M5, and it made no difference due to the fact that EGS ECU expects a different signal on can bus from the shifter then it’s receding with a dot unit.

There are emulators to interpret CAN bus signals and display gear position on an M cluster in a non M car, this type of technology would probably work for the shifter too but no one has done it yet I believe.
Thanks for the info. I will be on a lookout for a relatively cheap M2 N55 gear selector so I can try it retrofit it myself.